British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Engineering Jobs? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/engineering-jobs-341767/)

jeany Dec 8th 2005 3:43 pm

Engineering Jobs?

Any qualified Manufacturing Engineers out there that have moved from England to Oz? Did you have any probs getting work?

rugbymad Dec 8th 2005 7:09 pm

Re: Engineering Jobs?

Originally Posted by jeany
Any qualified Manufacturing Engineers out there that have moved from England to Oz? Did you have any probs getting work?

Hi there seems to be plenty of engineering jobs around Brisbane,suggest you take a look at seek.com.au for jobs,what sort of engineering are you loking for and where?
Good luck for the future!

Bix Dec 8th 2005 7:13 pm

Hello Jeany.

This is one of the main job websites so perhaps this will help ?

http://www.seek.com.au/

thribble Dec 8th 2005 7:25 pm

Hi Jeany,

I'm a Chemical Engineer and no, have had absolutely no problem finding work. In fact, I found a job without looking. We're travelling first so I'd decided not to apply for anything, and just started testing the water. I've ended up with a job I love the look of, starting on 6th March. I had a few phone interviews, and another offer other than the one I took, and an interview in London. All without trying.

So absolutely I wouldn't worry about that side of it. Engineers seem to be very much in demand. I don't know where you're heading, but the following were the people I talked to, agency-wise.

Naylor (http://www.naylor.com.au/) are mostly Queensland based. Paige Haines was the woman I spoke to there.

Downing Teal(http://www.downingteal.com/) - Evan Willen

The other website I've found useful is http://www.mycareer.com.au/

Hope that helps, and good luck.

worzel Dec 10th 2005 5:10 am

They are crying out for engineers in Perth

lynnlovessun Dec 10th 2005 7:07 am

Originally Posted by worzel
They are crying out for engineers in Perth

Yeah but depends on your area - they are crying out for civil design engineers, mining engineers and chemical engineers - the reality is though that there is not much demand for manufacturing engineers, though there are jobs it may take a bit longer to get one. My hubbie has a degree in manufacturing systems engineering with his past experience as a senior design engineer in the automotive industry - this means he can turn his hand to designing virtually any product or piece of equipment but we have found that companies can be very narrow minded and they only think he can design vehicles - its hard getting past the CV stage and actually getting face to face appointments to prove your experience and how much value you could be to a company. In Brisbane we have found things slow (been jobhunting for nearly a month and no official job offer yet - but 2 companies interested - they go at a snails pace though in actually employing). Its not as easy as everyone is making out i'm sorry to say.

Lynn

rugbymad Dec 10th 2005 10:12 am

Originally Posted by lynnlovessun
Yeah but depends on your area - they are crying out for civil design engineers, mining engineers and chemical engineers - the reality is though that there is not much demand for manufacturing engineers, though there are jobs it may take a bit longer to get one. My hubbie has a degree in manufacturing systems engineering with his past experience as a senior design engineer in the automotive industry - this means he can turn his hand to designing virtually any product or piece of equipment but we have found that companies can be very narrow minded and they only think he can design vehicles - its hard getting past the CV stage and actually getting face to face appointments to prove your experience and how much value you could be to a company. In Brisbane we have found things slow (been jobhunting for nearly a month and no official job offer yet - but 2 companies interested - they go at a snails pace though in actually employing). Its not as easy as everyone is making out i'm sorry to say.

Lynn

Hi,would you say it's the same for skilled machinists out in Brisbane?? I've been taking a look at a few websites and there seems to be a lot of jobs out there,but whats the reality like??
Cheers

lynnlovessun Dec 10th 2005 11:04 am

Originally Posted by rugbymad
Hi,would you say it's the same for skilled machinists out in Brisbane?? I've been taking a look at a few websites and there seems to be a lot of jobs out there,but whats the reality like??
Cheers

Marc thinks there are plenty of jobs for CNC machinists if thats your area.

Lynn

rugbymad Dec 10th 2005 11:16 am

Marc thinks there are plenty of jobs for CNC machinists if thats your area.

Lynn

Hi,Yes thats my area.thats good news !!! thanks for that,made my day.

kamm1 Dec 10th 2005 11:35 am

Many of the British agencies have contacts in Australia, whether they have placed people in australia or have sister branches over there.

Although we have only just passed skills assessment and are just about going to send 47SK application, being a contractor, I am in contacted by agencies quite regularly and I always ask if they have contacts in Aus. 9 time out of ten they say yes. My CV has been sent to a few agencies and companies over there already.

Advantages are that most companies will pay for flights and certain relocation expenses.

Another good site to search is www.jobserve.com. Has a dedicated Australian site as well as UK.

Mark.

rugbymad Dec 10th 2005 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by kamm1
Many of the British agencies have contacts in Australia, whether they have placed people in australia or have sister branches over there.

Although we have only just passed skills assessment and are just about going to send 47SK application, being a contractor, I am in contacted by agencies quite regularly and I always ask if they have contacts in Aus. 9 time out of ten they say yes. My CV has been sent to a few agencies and companies over there already.

Advantages are that most companies will pay for flights and certain relocation expenses.

Another good site to search is www.jobserve.com. Has a dedicated Australian site as well as UK.

Mark.

Mark,Thanks for that.What sort of engineering do you do,I see you'vr passed tra,did it take long to process etc,mines done,just waiting(still!!) for my reference from work,over 2 weeks i've been waiting now which means I now have no chance of it reaching before xmas hols!

worzel Dec 10th 2005 12:57 pm

Lynn

I bow to your superior knowledge. An engineer is an engineer to me. Just like everyone thinks an accountant is an accountant when I tell them I wouldn't know where to start on a tax return :)

thribble Dec 10th 2005 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by worzel
I bow to your superior knowledge. An engineer is an engineer to me. Just like everyone thinks an accountant is an accountant when I tell them I wouldn't know where to start on a tax return :)

Yeah. I get a lot of confused looks when I say I don't know how a car engine works. I know how a water treatment plant, or a sewage works works (and will happily tell you over dinner just to see how strong your stomach is!) but I have no idea how an engine works.
It is, of course, true that work for one discipline doesn't necessarily mean work for another. I was at the careers expo in London though, and they seemed pretty keen for everyone technical, from what I could see and from the people I talked to. Australia's on the up, isn't it? ;)

ykx1426 Jul 20th 2006 12:54 pm

Originally Posted by thribble
Hi Jeany,

I'm a Chemical Engineer and no, have had absolutely no problem finding work. In fact, I found a job without looking. We're travelling first so I'd decided not to apply for anything, and just started testing the water. I've ended up with a job I love the look of, starting on 6th March. I had a few phone interviews, and another offer other than the one I took, and an interview in London. All without trying.

So absolutely I wouldn't worry about that side of it. Engineers seem to be very much in demand. I don't know where you're heading, but the following were the people I talked to, agency-wise.

Naylor (http://www.naylor.com.au/) are mostly Queensland based. Paige Haines was the woman I spoke to there.

Downing Teal(http://www.downingteal.com/) - Evan Willen

The other website I've found useful is http://www.mycareer.com.au/

Hope that helps, and good luck.

Hey Thribble,

I am a chemical engineer heading to Oz in Sept. Flights booked. What kind of salary/rates could i expect to get with 3 years experience.

I am undecided as to which industry to pursue mining/oil/gas/wastewater. Currently, I have been in the pharma/chem industry.

Thanks