Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

engineering geologists/geotechnical engineers

engineering geologists/geotechnical engineers

Old Mar 21st 2004, 1:59 pm
surfer chic from Teesside

lauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond reputelauralollipop has a reputation beyond repute
Question has anyone got into Auz this way???

hello

My partner has just been offered a 4 year sponsorship visa for Auz.
We have been told that we both need to apply for a working holiday visa first, then when we get to Auz, he needs to apply for jobs that will pay a min of $49,000 per year.
Once he gets an interview for a job he can tell them that he is able to start work straight away on his working visa, initally for 3 months and if they will keep him on after 3 months then he has a company willing to sponsor him for 4 years.
If they employ him then I can go on to his sponsership as a defacto relationship with him for 4 years.
So really we have a year to find a company who will agree to employee him for this salary.

He is working now and has been for 2 years as an engineering geololgist, doing site investigation and site reports etc....and he has a degree.

I was wondering if anyone knows any geologists/companies/average salaries or where are the most jobs for this type of work?????

Any help would be very useful, as we are now trying to assess how risky this is, are these salaries too high or are they feasable, or if it would be better applying on a skilled migration visa with sponsorship from my auntie who lives in Perth??

does anyone know of anyone who has gotton into auz this way before or has anyon done it by this route??

can anyone help as we are soooo confused???:scared:

laura

Last edited by lauralollipop; Mar 21st 2004 at 2:25 pm.
Old Mar 21st 2004, 2:36 pm

saraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of lightsaraliz is a glorious beacon of light

Laura,

You may want to try posting this on the immigration forum. I believe that it has been mentioned there that the rules have changed so that a company can no longer sponsor somebody without employing them directly, so this may affect you.

With a job like engineering geologist, he should have no problems finding work in Australia! There's quite a demand for geologists, especially if he's willing to work at a mine site. My guess is that he would easily find a job paying over $49,000.

In any event, if you do get a 4-year visa, remember it is only a temporary visa which won't lead to permanent residency. You'd still have to apply for residency, so if you're serious about Oz it might be better to just apply for permanent residency now.