Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Engineer, Toolmaker, HNC... Where are the jobs?

Engineer, Toolmaker, HNC... Where are the jobs?

Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

philandlynne is an unknown quantity at this point
Red face Engineer, Toolmaker, HNC... Where are the jobs?

Hi, I am an apprentice trained toolmaker....13 years experience, with an HNC (1986) in mechanical and production engineering . I also have 10 years experience on CNC Milling and Turning machines (Mazak & Gildermeister) amongst other things. I have worked for the same company for the last 18 years which is currently part of The Scheafeller Group. Can anyone advise me if my trade is in demand and where in Oz do I need to be looking?
I am aware from reading other posts that I will probably need to have my skills assessed first.

My wife is a carer and would also be looking for part time work.

Any advice would be greatly appreciared.

Thanx
Phil

Philip(43) Lynne(38) Thomas(20) Benjamin(11)
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Engineer, Toolmaker, HNC... Where are the jobs?

Originally Posted by philandlynne
Hi, I am an apprentice trained toolmaker....13 years experience, with an HNC (1986) in mechanical and production engineering . I also have 10 years experience on CNC Milling and Turning machines (Mazak & Gildermeister) amongst other things. I have worked for the same company for the last 18 years which is currently part of The Scheafeller Group. Can anyone advise me if my trade is in demand and where in Oz do I need to be looking?
I am aware from reading other posts that I will probably need to have my skills assessed first.

Thanx
Phil

Hiya Phil

Welcome to BE! Have a little look see on here and see if your or your wife's occupation is on here. http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1121i.pdf (Just so you know whatever occupation you come over on you don't necessarily have to do that for a living... For instance if your wife's career was in demand she wouldn't have to work if you wanted to )

Best of luck to you and yours x
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:24 pm
Just Joined

philandlynne is an unknown quantity at this point

hi,
Thanx for the info.
I definately want to work in the same trade but even though my wife works as a carer she has qualifications(NVQ's) in other areas so would it be better if she submitted this information when applying for visa etc?

Phil
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:33 pm
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philandlynne

Thanx
Phil

Talk to these people might be able to help............

http://www.toolcraft.com.au/index.html

Last edited by mr mover; Jan 10th 2009 at 11:34 pm. Reason: wrong link
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

liverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really niceliverpool12 is just really nice

Hello mate,
Your trade might be classed as a 'Machinist First Class' which is the same as me.
Your first step will be getting your skills assesed by 'Trades Recognition Australia' which gives you points towards your total score on the visa application.
I used an agent but if you have a straight forward application, then you could easily do it yourself if you are OK with filling forms in. We used an agent just for peace of mind really. You still have to do all the running around yourself and letters, statements etc but they just cross check everything really.
If you need any further info, PM me.
Good Luck

Rob