engineer jobs

Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

tracy21 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default engineer jobs

hi all

just wanted to ask if anyome has any experience how hard it,s to find mechanical or manufacturing jobs inn sydney. i have just graduate and have some experience in manufaturing. how the job market for engineers at the moment.
thanks
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: engineer jobs

Originally Posted by tracy21
hi all

just wanted to ask if anyome has any experience how hard it,s to find mechanical or manufacturing jobs inn sydney. i have just graduate and have some experience in manufaturing. how the job market for engineers at the moment.
thanks
Hubby is looking for similar. He's an experienced manufacturing engineer with years of aerospace experience but vacancies in his field seem to be few and far between, they seem to want mechanical design engineers and electronic engineers more, if the website adverts are to be believed, or they want mining experience! (Yeah right - in the UK?)

If anyone can answer Tracy's question I would be interested to hear the answer - particularly with regard to other areas north of Sydney.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:39 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Any use ?

http://www.jobs.careerone.com.au/js....fromSearch.y=8

If not play with the selections under item "industry" and try different key words up the top.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 1:43 pm
C&R
Always the last to leave.

C&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond reputeC&R has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Britishaussie
Hubby is looking for similar. He's an experienced manufacturing engineer with years of aerospace experience but vacancies in his field seem to be few and far between, they seem to want mechanical design engineers and electronic engineers more, if the website adverts are to be believed, or they want mining experience! (Yeah right - in the UK?)

If anyone can answer Tracy's question I would be interested to hear the answer - particularly with regard to other areas north of Sydney.
Thats exactly our findings, when we have been in Oz on holiday, particulary Queensland, we always check the local newspapers, and found the majority of engineering work is based in the mining industry. We are looking into Victoria now to see if thats any better.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond reputeBritishaussie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Claire&Richard
Thats exactly our findings, when we have been in Oz on holiday, particulary Queensland, we always check the local newspapers, and found the majority of engineering work is based in the mining industry. We are looking into Victoria now to see if thats any better.
I think hubby is going to have to accept the fact he might have to go back to operating a machine, i.e. starting at the bottom. He doesn't want to have to do this but from what we can gather it would at least be a step to gaining "Aussie experience" and it will help keep his hand in and maybe provide other opportunities to progress to programming and beyond. In his line of work, jobs don't tend to be advertised that regularly but they are there if you know where to look. I don't know if this is the case in Australia though.
Old Aug 15th 2006, 2:31 pm
Forum Regular

BPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant futureBPadhiar has a brilliant future

I spoke to a program manager in Australia and also someone on BE. I was advised the following:

Automotive - Victoria
Aerospace - Victoria, NSW, Queensland & SA
Mining - WA

Obviously this is very generalised but there are bit and pieces around all of Australia.

The work done in Austraila is mainly structural based (in aerospace anyway) but things are changing apparently Oz is about 5 years behind UK/US and will be picking up very soon. There will soon be more design and composites work.

Also it is reasonably easy to get into other areas of engineering providing you can do the job as you will have transferable experience.

Dont expect to do the same job you were doing in UK and things are different in Oz, also saleries are much lower for the same job.