Reload this Page >

It engineer and dental nurse

It engineer and dental nurse

Old Oct 9th 2011, 4:18 pm
Just Joined

annady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default It engineer and dental nurse

Hello all

me and my missus are looking on moving to australia but are pretty stuck on the whole visa thing

we went to an emmigration fair yesterday for some info but they just seemed interested in getting money from us and claimed we needed all kinds of degrees and at least 8 years experience before we could get state sponshership
i have been working for a major bank for the last 3 years and a big haulage company before that in the IT section but apparently im still not eligable to get any kind of visa. and my missus has been a dental nurse and has all kinds of qualifications for the last 6 years and they didnt even acknowledge her when we spoke to them

the only peice of usefull advise i received was that because we are both under 30 we should go for the working holiday visa and then try and get sponsered once we are out there as its easier to get a job when you are standing infront of a employer than being thousands of miles away. we also got told that if only one of us got sponsered the other couldnt stay unless we had proof of us living together for 12 months would this include living together in oz

i suppose what im asking is has there been anybody else in similar situation and can offer any advise

thanks everybody i know this is my first post but has so many questions running through my head

anna and andy
Old Oct 9th 2011, 7:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It engineer and dental nurse

Not been in a similar situation but can offer some pointers anyway.

To move to Australia as a skilled migrant your occupation needs to be on on of various lists, see below link for lists:

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/sol/#a

I don't think dental nurse has been on the list for a while so that would be why they didn't really speak to her, you are a more likely candidate. I am afraid I do not know what an IT engineer is, so you need to look through the lists and see if there is an occupation that sounds like yours. If there is you can read more about the specific occupation if you search for it on the www.immi.gov.au site.

If there is an occupation that fits, then you need to pass a "skills assessment" and also score 65 on a points test. If you don't have a degree both will be harder to achieve and I expect that is where the 8 years comes in.

So overall, it doesn't sound like you received incorrect information at the expo. Although if you want a more thorough assessment of your options then it might be a good idea to book a consult with a migration agent.

Re the WHV, it is an idea if there are no other options. But note that to gain sponsorship your occupation still needs to be on one of those lists, to get a permanent visa via employer sponsorship refer to the "ENSOL" in the link I provided.

You do need to be aware that you could shoot yourself in the foot as well, if you don't manage to find work in your occupation then you won't find sponsorship and also the gap in your employment history could set you back if you revert to the skilled migration idea later.
Old Oct 9th 2011, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

annady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: It engineer and dental nurse

Thanks for the info pal

there are a couple of IT jobs on that list i could put myself down for. i do want to work pretty much as soon as i get out there i understand to get the 12 month extended visa i have to do 3 months seasonal work which sounds pretty cool anyways and then after that try and get a job with a company that would be likely to sponser me

is it possible to rent a property to live when on a whv and if so would this go towards proof of me and my missus living together i have quite a bit of savings to take out with me just incase im stuck looking for work

again thank you for the info