Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

End of the Year - A time to reflect

End of the Year - A time to reflect

Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:40 am
Good to be back in UK

Jirrupin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default End of the Year - A time to reflect

2003 was a very busy year for me. In January Chris and I got married in Las Vegas. Whilst there I learned a relative had been diagnosed with cancer and she died 6 months later. The Visa arrived after the application took almost 3 years from start to finish.

We sold our house, we bought another house, we renovated the house in 5 weeks left my job and somehow we managed to pack a bag and get to the airport before the flight left for Australia.

We have now been in Perth almost 5 months. We will be celebrating our first wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks (lots of good ideas on Bondi's thread for paper pressies ).

It has been a year like no other in my life. I have been living out of a suitcase for about 7 months, I have no furniture or any of my personal belongings bar a few clothes. I have no permanent home, no job, no family or friends around me. I feel as though I have unpicked the fabric of my entire life.

My relationship with Chris has been tested during the stressful time we have had in our attempts to establish a life here. But it is a very strong relationship and I am deliriously happy.

We had a 'dream' when we were in the Uk about the life we would carve out for ourselves in Oz. But now we feel unwilling to make so many sacrifices to reach what we believe at this moment in time, is unobtainable for us here.

But this journey has given us the time to step off the merry go round of life and has given us real choice in what we want to do in our lives. There have been times when we have not known which way to turn. I don't think we would have sacrificed so much if we had not planned to live in Oz, but then we would have still been tied to the life we had, in some ways I think it has been successful for us to make such a big change coming here, as we may not have been willing to make such a big change in life if we had stayed in the UK.

I can see all the delights that people rave about that make Perth such a fabulous City but I can also see the drawbacks, and for us I guess the drawbacks outweigh the scenery.

We still have an adventure to experience in this wonderfully unique country and who knows what will happen during that time or over the coming year. At this moment in time I have no idea where I will be sitting next new years eve. But I do know I am a very lucky woman and I am very grateful for the life that I have.

I wish you all a fabulous 2004.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

whisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond reputewhisky has a reputation beyond repute

That was lovely.
I do wish that you could feel settled though.
I think that to come here, we all have to make sacrifices, and once here, accept things one at a time. Although I am very happy in Mandurah and the way things have gone so far, there are so many things that I need to work towards to make it feel like my home, and I know that it will take time.

Whisky
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:00 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

In Aus extensive "time out" from work is institutionalized as 3 months of long service leave after each 10 years of work. A time to reflect if you are introverted or to go wild if you are extraverted. Not having "time out" is repressive. Unemployment is not "time out" except for those without serious money worries.

Hope you will find at least some casual work on your travels. Be cheeky and take what comes? Too much reflection can result in unhealthy inaction (mia culpa ).
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Larissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond reputeLarissa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of the Year - A time to reflect

Originally posted by Jirrupin
2003 was a very busy year for me. In January Chris and I got married in Las Vegas. Whilst there I learned a relative had been diagnosed with cancer and she died 6 months later. The Visa arrived after the application took almost 3 years from start to finish.

We sold our house, we bought another house, we renovated the house in 5 weeks left my job and somehow we managed to pack a bag and get to the airport before the flight left for Australia.

We have now been in Perth almost 5 months. We will be celebrating our first wedding anniversary in a couple of weeks (lots of good ideas on Bondi's thread for paper pressies ).

It has been a year like no other in my life. I have been living out of a suitcase for about 7 months, I have no furniture or any of my personal belongings bar a few clothes. I have no permanent home, no job, no family or friends around me. I feel as though I have unpicked the fabric of my entire life.

My relationship with Chris has been tested during the stressful time we have had in our attempts to establish a life here. But it is a very strong relationship and I am deliriously happy.

We had a 'dream' when we were in the Uk about the life we would carve out for ourselves in Oz. But now we feel unwilling to make so many sacrifices to reach what we believe at this moment in time, is unobtainable for us here.

But this journey has given us the time to step off the merry go round of life and has given us real choice in what we want to do in our lives. There have been times when we have not known which way to turn. I don't think we would have sacrificed so much if we had not planned to live in Oz, but then we would have still been tied to the life we had, in some ways I think it has been successful for us to make such a big change coming here, as we may not have been willing to make such a big change in life if we had stayed in the UK.

I can see all the delights that people rave about that make Perth such a fabulous City but I can also see the drawbacks, and for us I guess the drawbacks outweigh the scenery.

We still have an adventure to experience in this wonderfully unique country and who knows what will happen during that time or over the coming year. At this moment in time I have no idea where I will be sitting next new years eve. But I do know I am a very lucky woman and I am very grateful for the life that I have.

I wish you all a fabulous 2004.
Thanks for the post Jirrupin - hope you have a great time in your adventure across the Nullabor. 2003 was a rollarcoaster of a year for us - probably explains why I got hooked to Expats in August!
Larissa
Wishing everyone else a great 2004!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 7:06 am
Good to be back in UK

Thank you Whisky and Aunty Meg

Hopefully action is what we are doing, than just sitting back on our laurels. We are living on a tight budget but okay financially to pursue an adventure.

Some casual work would be good as it would really help with making friends and extending our time here.

You know I will endeavour to keep you all informed of our progress as and when we have time at a computer.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:23 am
Dutch expat/Aus citizen

Simone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond reputeSimone has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jirrupin

You know I will endeavour to keep you all informed of our progress as and when we have time at a computer.
Thankyou, and I'm looking forward to it!

The best of luck and happiness to you both for 2004 and all years after!

Don't know what else to say... except it's great to see how positive you guys still are (or so it seems!!) and great that you have have the oppertunity and are willing to try a different tactic.

Hey, any chance of a pic of the new interior of the van? I'm very curious!!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:58 am
Good to be back in UK

Originally posted by Simone82
Hey, any chance of a pic of the new interior of the van? I'm very curious!!
Yes Simone, the transformation of said campervan is almost complete. The curtains were hung today, just waiting for the seats to be finished off and some odds n ends. We have ordered some new carpet for the front of the van too etc. Its looking really quite swish, for an old van

I'll post a pic as soon as we have the unveiling ceremony