Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

End of tax year australia 2014

End of tax year australia 2014

Old May 7th 2014, 11:30 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default End of tax year australia 2014

How does it work over here is this something everyone has to do or an option?

As i dont know much about the tax system over here or in fact much about it in the uk,i was asking around who does it and what it would cost me to have someone do it for me,but my question is what would i require it for,for what reason,would i be owe any money?Or yes could i have been overpaid?

I get family tax benifit a and b but not that much every two weeks they wanted an idea of what i could make over a year and i based it on that figure,but depending on how much work i would be on that year and what type of job i be on it could be more.
But its not been a good year and i would say i if lucky done 5 weeks work in that year,the first few months of arriving i did not really look as was so busy looking for rental,car,container on way and unpacking etc.
But pretty much full on after that applying and applying and not having much luck.

So looking at centrelink i see they will base me on the figure i said i earn on that year or i could lodge a tax return? and go with that figure,well as i have only done five weeks work in that year im nowhere near what i had said i make.
I can understand where they are coming from as they just want to see i have not been overpaid in benifits and would want paid back,but is it also possible i maybe should have been paid more based on what i only worked in that year?

My other question is i thought i was able to claim for courses i had done,which may have helped me find work better but im told its not but had been told before this i could,then there is a job i was on needed to buy my own tools not there anymore and wanted to claim for them.

Would it pay for me to have an accountant with what im asking above,as said is it a requirement,on just the family benifit thing alone would not want them to just take for granted i made what i quoted on that year i made way less,but does that make any difference to me.

I even here people claim for sunscreen and glasses your kiding right and im not able to claim back for course i needed or thought may help me get that job,i even have a course that needs refresher done by end of june and had hoped i could claim for this,but i am hearing this is not possible too.
Old May 7th 2014, 11:42 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of tax year australia 2014

Originally Posted by brian.w
How does it work over here is this something everyone has to do or an option?

As i dont know much about the tax system over here or in fact much about it in the uk,i was asking around who does it and what it would cost me to have someone do it for me,but my question is what would i require it for,for what reason,would i be owe any money?Or yes could i have been overpaid?

I get family tax benifit a and b but not that much every two weeks they wanted an idea of what i could make over a year and i based it on that figure,but depending on how much work i would be on that year and what type of job i be on it could be more.
But its not been a good year and i would say i if lucky done 5 weeks work in that year,the first few months of arriving i did not really look as was so busy looking for rental,car,container on way and unpacking etc.
But pretty much full on after that applying and applying and not having much luck.

So looking at centrelink i see they will base me on the figure i said i earn on that year or i could lodge a tax return? and go with that figure,well as i have only done five weeks work in that year im nowhere near what i had said i make.
I can understand where they are coming from as they just want to see i have not been overpaid in benifits and would want paid back,but is it also possible i maybe should have been paid more based on what i only worked in that year?

My other question is i thought i was able to claim for courses i had done,which may have helped me find work better but im told its not but had been told before this i could,then there is a job i was on needed to buy my own tools not there anymore and wanted to claim for them.

Would it pay for me to have an accountant with what im asking above,as said is it a requirement,on just the family benifit thing alone would not want them to just take for granted i made what i quoted on that year i made way less,but does that make any difference to me.

I even here people claim for sunscreen and glasses your kiding right and im not able to claim back for course i needed or thought may help me get that job,i even have a course that needs refresher done by end of june and had hoped i could claim for this,but i am hearing this is not possible too.
Everyone has to do it.

I'll be honest Brian, find yourself an accountant to sort it all out for you. Don't try and do it yourself.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:02 pm
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Go to your local H&R block or something to get your tax done, not sure of the cost as we haven't done this in 15 yrs but I would assume $100+ give of take! can be claimed back later I think.

One thing to clear up here, is it you or your wife receiving the FTB part a&b? I'm thinking your wife, not you. In that case if your wife receives it and she's not working, she need to inform ATO that she doesn't need to file her taxes. Once your tax has been done, and hers, (as above), it takes about 2-4 weeks for centrelink to match info with ATO.

During this time, centrelink will calculate what you estimated against what they paid to you, the end of year "bonuses" ($640 or something per child) that they would pay you etc and match everything. If you end up owing them, they take the possible tax return, end of year bonuses and send you the remaining bill. (That can be negotiated into fortnightly payments). If however they owe you, you get a hefty return 2-4 weeks after both of you informing ATO of you taxes, incomes or no need to lodge tax return. Also, if your wife is the receipient of the FTB benefits, she also need to inform centrelink that she doesn't need to lodge tax return and also has to provide estimate for next tax year before future payments can be made. Hope this helps.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Originally Posted by teza
Go to your local H&R block or something to get your tax done, not sure of the cost as we haven't done this in 15 yrs but I would assume $100+ give of take! can be claimed back later I think.

One thing to clear up here, is it you or your wife receiving the FTB part a&b? I'm thinking your wife, not you. In that case if your wife receives it and she's not working, she need to inform ATO that she doesn't need to file her taxes. Once your tax has been done, and hers, (as above), it takes about 2-4 weeks for centrelink to match info with ATO.

During this time, centrelink will calculate what you estimated against what they paid to you, the end of year "bonuses" ($640 or something per child) that they would pay you etc and match everything. If you end up owing them, they take the possible tax return, end of year bonuses and send you the remaining bill. (That can be negotiated into fortnightly payments). If however they owe you, you get a hefty return 2-4 weeks after both of you informing ATO of you taxes, incomes or no need to lodge tax return. Also, if your wife is the receipient of the FTB benefits, she also need to inform centrelink that she doesn't need to lodge tax return and also has to provide estimate for next tax year before future payments can be made. Hope this helps.
Well can we both claim family a and b?im sure its just one payment i pretty much dealt with it all and its me that made the claim,oaid into my account and it was me they wanted to talk to about what i would earn in a year etc.
So i understand about h r block this is not the first time i was told to use them but so give you an idea,i have only worked about 5 weeks of the year since arriving june of last year and my wife has not worked as she looks after the bub.
So what happens here i never really thought of her needing to make a tax return but then she has not worked,im a little lost on all this so would i be best say this all to h r block?
I take wife does not even need to do any tax return?as she has not worked right so to get her out of the way what so we need to do contact ato?

To be honest im not sure why i dealt with it maybe cause she has enough with the bub but maybe if i had done it with her it may have been better or makes no difference as we are a couple and its both our bub.

So just so i know in future is it something you have to do here do a tax return,as i know back in uk it was only if you wanted to or though there maybe a payment to get as normally worked itself out back in uk.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:30 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Well can we both claim family a and b?im sure its just one payment i pretty much dealt with it all and its me that made the claim,oaid into my account and it was me they wanted to talk to about what i would earn in a year etc.
So i understand about h r block this is not the first time i was told to use them but so give you an idea,i have only worked about 5 weeks of the year since arriving june of last year and my wife has not worked as she looks after the bub.
So what happens here i never really thought of her needing to make a tax return but then she has not worked,im a little lost on all this so would i be best say this all to h r block?
I take wife does not even need to do any tax return?as she has not worked right so to get her out of the way what so we need to do contact ato?

To be honest im not sure why i dealt with it maybe cause she has enough with the bub but maybe if i had done it with her it may have been better or makes no difference as we are a couple and its both our bub.

So just so i know in future is it something you have to do here do a tax return,as i know back in uk it was only if you wanted to or though there maybe a payment to get as normally worked itself out back in uk.
No she doesn't need to do one. You will put all her details on yours. As the others have said, just go to see H&R. they will sort it and you can even claim the cost on next years tax return.
Old May 7th 2014, 12:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
No she doesn't need to do one. You will put all her details on yours. As the others have said, just go to see H&R. they will sort it and you can even claim the cost on next years tax return.
claim the cost on next years tax return how cool is that i bet there are many ou there who just know what you can claim and cant claim for,example my wife's mate said they claimed for sunscreen why would you claim for that?Someone even said im sure sunglasses no wonder the goverment has issues.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

claim the cost on next years tax return how cool is that i bet there are many ou there who just know what you can claim and cant claim for,example my wife's mate said they claimed for sunscreen why would you claim for that?Someone even said im sure sunglasses no wonder the goverment has issues.
Because if you are expected to work outside then sunscreen becomes a health and safety issue. Same with hats and sunglasses.

personally I think the whole system stinks as there are so many people claiming for stuff that they really should not. I work in an office, one of my colleagues does the same job as me, indoors, sat behind a desk all day. We don't even have to wear a compulsory uniform. Yet HE has an accountant who claims $300 a year in SHOES for him. We all have to wear shoes (even in Queensland!)and no way should his shoes be tax free. But cos he has never been checked up on by the ATO he gets away with it.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

mental and someone like me who pays for courses to help me get the jobs does not get anything,i used to have them all paid for by the company in uk,and i know they should do same here and let the companies claim it back,average joe should not have to pay out of his pocket but i suppose its the way it is.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

People who work outside all day, eg construction workers, can claim for sunscreen and sunglasses - they're a legitimate tax deduction because they're a necessary part of your work kit. It's no different to claiming any sort of protective personal equipment or tools, or office workers who take work home claiming a percentage deduction for internet, pc depreciation etc.

I agree with Polly, Brian. Get a tax agent to do it and save yourself the hassle
Old May 7th 2014, 1:23 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

mental and someone like me who pays for courses to help me get the jobs does not get anything,i used to have them all paid for by the company in uk,and i know they should do same here and let the companies claim it back,average joe should not have to pay out of his pocket but i suppose its the way it is.
You actually can claim for some self-education costs

Polly, the bloke who claims for shoes will get done eventually, and I hope his accountant does too.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:24 pm
Concierge

Most companies do pay for professional development courses for their staff. But it's a bit hard for a company to pay your for your courses if you don't work for them
Old May 7th 2014, 1:25 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
People who work outside all day, eg construction workers, can claim for sunscreen and sunglasses - they're a legitimate tax deduction because they're a necessary part of your work kit. It's no different to claiming any sort of protective personal equipment or tools, or office workers who take work home claiming a percentage deduction for internet, pc depreciation etc.

I agree with Polly, Brian. Get a tax agent to do it and save yourself the hassle
Yep, those are legitimate claims, my ex had to drive a forklift in the sun, and work in an open air yard, he could legitimately claim sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, boots etc. I just get annoyed by the people who bet on the fact they won't be dip checked, and so make ridiculous claims.

Brian, yours gets further complicated by having a child. Keep all your receipts and see an accountant in July.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:27 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
You actually can claim for some self-education costs

Polly, the bloke who claims for shoes will get done eventually, and I hope his accountant does too.
Oh. i hope he does get caught, we were all stunned when he told us he never pays for his shoes!

Agree on the courses, I think the rule is that you can claim if they are related to your current job but not if they are to help you get another one? In Brian's place I'd get someone else to sort it.
Old May 7th 2014, 1:29 pm
Concierge

[QUOTE=Pollyana;11250010]Yep, those are legitimate claims, my ex had to drive a forklift in the sun, and work in an open air yard, he could legitimately claim sunscreen, sunglasses, hat, boots etc. I just get annoyed by the people who bet on the fact they won't be dip checked, and so make ridiculous claims. QUOTE]

Yep, gives me the shits as well. I just put my faith in the Taxman, he WILL find them
Old May 7th 2014, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

yes probably get an accountant so when does it need to be done by again,just incase i get a job and need to be away from home i can leave it in the accountants hands.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.