Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

End of our dream....

End of our dream....

Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Stephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond reputeStephen Jones has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: End of our dream....

Originally Posted by mutant
I know how you must feel being stuck in shitty south wales.
Hope you work something out.
oi! It's not that bad....<lol>

Steve
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

BettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura aboutBettyBoop has a spectacular aura about
Unhappy Re: End of our dream....

Originally Posted by MojoJojo
Good post Netta,

I think it's a good idea to have another go at your sponsor/assurer...what have you got to lose? Have you asked the opinion of an agent on where you stand, there maybe a way round for you. Anything is worth a try.
We tried to prepare ourselves for the worst, should it happen...we applied for the Sir Visa as we couldn't meet the points for anything else either...ou contingency plan was to apply to New Zealand if we were knocked back from Oz...apparently it's a lot easier to get in there now....good luck for the future.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Stephen Jones
oi! It's not that bad....<lol>

Steve
Let's be honest.........it is !
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
or sold my body on the streets (but I wouldn't get anything for that!)
as bix isn't here.....

send me some pics.........I'll make you an offer !
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, to be serious for a minute.....

Maybe your aunt can persuade your cousin?
We were lucky in that I knew my cous over here before they went to Oz even though I only saw her once a year, and her fellas sister had sponsored them to get into Oz so they were quite amenable to the idea. We also pointed out that we wouldn't actually need financial support.
Isn't the A$5k bond used in the event of financial difficulty anyway and you get back whatevers left at the end of 2 years?

Also, your visa is valid for 5 years but the bond is placed straight away. In our case, we're not going yet so in 2 years we'll get our bond back and the obligation on our sponsor will be lifted before we've even set foot in OZ. Maybe you could agree to do that? or as someone else said, bribe them by saying they can keep the bond after 2 years?

Cadman
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

lovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nicelovealot is just really nice

Pay them to do it for you. I know you shouldn't have to but believe you me, its worth doing to spend the rest of your life in the sun
Good luck
Tell them anything they want to hear
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
as bix isn't here.....

send me some pics.........I'll make you an offer !
Not sure if I've attached this correctly.....first time I've done it. Its me and the pimp (the pimp is on the left...)
Attached Thumbnails End of our dream....-john-netta2.jpg  
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

JohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond reputeJohnAndNetta has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Netta,

Thanks for this. I realise now that the way I wrote my opening lines was expressing my disappointment rather than the 'true' situation. Like you, we were/are planning to use a cousin and aunt/uncle for sponsors.

We have met Lynn's aunt (who has by the way been saying....come to Oz) but not her cousin.

Like yourselves, I have to sell them on the "assurer" idea and the fact that we would NEVER actually call upon them to spend any money on us. Just as you did, we will have to prove our savings etc. We are currently in the fortunate position of not having a mortgage so the sale of the house should tide us over for a bit at least!

I think we need to take a backward step and try a differing approach....

Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve
That sounds a bit more hopeful....thank heavens you're not giving up ...where there's a will there's a way..........
Netta
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:50 pm
Forum Regular

BESWETAJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Netta,

Thanks for this. I realise now that the way I wrote my opening lines was expressing my disappointment rather than the 'true' situation. Like you, we were/are planning to use a cousin and aunt/uncle for sponsors.

We have met Lynn's aunt (who has by the way been saying....come to Oz) but not her cousin.

Like yourselves, I have to sell them on the "assurer" idea and the fact that we would NEVER actually call upon them to spend any money on us. Just as you did, we will have to prove our savings etc. We are currently in the fortunate position of not having a mortgage so the sale of the house should tide us over for a bit at least!

I think we need to take a backward step and try a differing approach....

Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve
I feel for you both, can you go out on a skills visa, have you looked into the skills you need for the points system or could you perhaps retrain and then apply, it may take a year or two but it is worth it and it would then get you the points to go. Keep on trying, you'll do it.

JB
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Is anyone listening

halflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nicehalflinggirl2000 is just really nice

Steve, feel for you mate, don't give up

Many of us on here have gone this route and lots of us, have supplied the bond money for the assurer to lodge, might this sweeten the pot, the other thing that people have found hard is knowing if the people you are going to ask to be assurers actually earn enough, if that was the case you can have up to 3 joint assurers and they don't have to be related, sorry if you have already looked into these points, it is not an easy thing to sort out with people that you may not yet know well.

Nicky
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

mand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond reputemand8002 has a reputation beyond repute

We too were in the situation of not having enough points..........so we bit the bullet so to speak and cashed in all endowments etc and came on a student visa. The most expensive way to come and also no guarantee of being able to stay, but I decided that if I qualified in a job that is in demand then things looked quite good, and for us it was worth the risk. This is obviously not the route a lot of people can or want to go but it is a possibility.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:43 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Not sure of its actual number, but you will definitely get in on the 4 year business visa, as you dont need to meet many criteria, except that you will own and run a business in Aus, and employ a certain number of aussies (I think its only 2, could even be 1) and you have to have a certain yearly turnover (again not sure of the figures but I think its $200 000 a year)

Worth a shot, if you think you can do it, and I am sure you could.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 8:45 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by JohnAndNetta
Not sure if I've attached this correctly.....first time I've done it. Its me and the pimp (the pimp is on the left...)
Who is the attractive blonde with Willie Thorne.
Old Aug 24th 2005, 9:07 am
Forum Regular

Lavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really niceLavinia is just really nice

Originally Posted by cadman
Sorry, to be serious for a minute.....

Also, your visa is valid for 5 years but the bond is placed straight away. In our case, we're not going yet so in 2 years we'll get our bond back and the obligation on our sponsor will be lifted before we've even set foot in OZ. Maybe you could agree to do that? or as someone else said, bribe them by saying they can keep the bond after 2 years?

Cadman
Cadman,

not sure about this, but doesn't the 2 year period only start once you've made the move?

Lavinia
Old Aug 24th 2005, 10:44 am
Aussie Citizen

Location: Iz Tralia (as said by my 3-yr-old son)... and LOVING it..!!
Rogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to allRogue Trader is a name known to all

Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Not sure of its actual number, but you will definitely get in on the 4 year business visa, as you dont need to meet many criteria, except that you will own and run a business in Aus, and employ a certain number of aussies (I think its only 2, could even be 1) and you have to have a certain yearly turnover (again not sure of the figures but I think its $200 000 a year)

Worth a shot, if you think you can do it, and I am sure you could.
Hi Cadbury.....

This is a very thoughtful suggestion as you are looking for any possible hope for Steve and Lynn... but I'm afraid this may only give them false hope.

You may be referring to the old 457IE visa which required very little criteria (if any) to be met at the time of applying... leaving people free to go on a temporary basis and meet the criteria once they'd established their business in Australia (this is the method used by most of the people on the "new life down under" programmes, where they appear to have no business experience whatsoever, yet get in on a business visa).

Unfortunately (or not - depending on your perspective) this changed about three years ago and the new business visas do have some significant qualifying criteria: I know, as I have just had one granted.

If Steve and Lynn do have a business and an "overall successful business career" they could PM me and I will gladly introduce them to a number of people who are currently in the process of applying (just don't tell these people that, "you will definitely get in on the 4 year business visa, as you dont need to meet many criteria")

Anyway... on to lighter things:
Originally Posted by CadburysFingers
Who is the attractive blonde with Willie Thorne.
I thought exactly the same thing..... that is Willie Thorne, isn't it..?!

All the best
Rogue.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.