Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

End to the Banana Siege insight

End to the Banana Siege insight

Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:46 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute
Default End to the Banana Siege insight

Heard today a report that the new stock will be hitting our stores in Sept/Oct so hopefully a return to "normal" priced banana's.

By new stock I mean the regrowth since the storm.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:21 pm
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: End to the Banana Siege insight

Originally Posted by thebears
Heard today a report that the new stock will be hitting our stores in Sept/Oct so hopefully a return to "normal" priced banana's.

That will be good. Our local supermarket was selling them for $15/kg yesterday. I refuse to buy them, and look forward to the day that my son stops hassling because they're back on the menu!

All I need next is cucumbers to come down from $5 each. What the........
Old Jul 25th 2006, 12:46 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: End to the Banana Siege insight

I will bring you some from the UK - 8 for £1

Buzzy
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

DebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond reputeDebraH has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
what the.... $5 for a cucumber
Old Jul 25th 2006, 4:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

Just out of interest...what were normal prices for bananas before this storm?
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:36 pm
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by webgum
That will be good. Our local supermarket was selling them for $15/kg yesterday. I refuse to buy them, and look forward to the day that my son stops hassling because they're back on the menu!

My wife just paid $17 a Kilo
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:37 pm
Melbourne Australia

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
In Auckland they are around 89 cents per kilo. So expect about the same.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

touchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond reputetouchingcloth has a reputation beyond repute

My wife just paid $17 a Kilo

Usually when a man is driven to financial ruin by his wife's shopping habits its because she's buying Gucci and Prada and not Fyffes!!! :scared:

First time for everything I guess...
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:50 pm
Anything,Anytime,Anywhere

The Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond reputeThe Bloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by touchingcloth
You'd get a better deal in Auckland then.

Normally $6-7/kg for Cavendish variety and dearer for Ladyfingers.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

In Auckland they are around 89 cents per kilo. So expect about the same.
yes i heard on the telly that they were 89cents in NZ !!!!! but they came from bloody WA !!!
DONT GET IT .
LIKE SOME OF U OTHERS I WONT BY THEM AT $15 . to think they were around $ 2 .
debs .
Old Jul 25th 2006, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Given bananas grow in this area the $3 a kilo price (at farms not so much supermarkets) prior to storms, seemed fair.

Its not just the price of nanas tho, cucumber yes $5 each, was there a cucumber storm too capsicum was $12 a kilo not so long ago, cauliflower was $8.99 each

Salmon portions were $37 a kilo this week, whats that all about? up from $30 not so long ago, at the other end of the scale if you want a cheap meal, mince if you want the quality lean stuff its around $12 a kilo, hardly cheap us is it!

We shop at a farm, bit of a drive but its a neccessity for survival given the shop prices here.

Time for another cost of living thread maybe. ABS just put out some stats on recent figures, food for a family of 4 according to them is now over $200 a week and cost of living with a a allowance of a mere $176 for housing, was in the $900, I think it was $967 a week actually, but it was on telly so wasnt paying huge attention. If the article makes it to the papers in the next few days I may do a cut and paste

Last edited by jad n rich; Jul 25th 2006 at 9:25 pm.
Old Jul 25th 2006, 11:33 pm
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

I was thinking of starting a cucumber thread the other day after nearly collapsing into my trolley when I saw a cumcumber at $4.95.

These aren't your big fat long cucs either but the straggly skinny things. I wondered if some cyclone had struck the cucumber growing belt.

Bananas are really now a treat. Bought two the other week and kids took nana sarnie to school. Daughter returned with sandwich half eaten! Won't make that mistake again.

With cucs at $5 (cant remember what icerbergs are doing but probably only $2-3) even a salad sandwich is expensive. Bananas at $17/kg while chicken breast is $9.99/kg! I was going to buy a red capsicum the ther day but that was about $12/kg yet green was only about $8/kg - how come?

I'm going to give the kids steak sandwiches from now on...
Old Jul 26th 2006, 2:18 am
kneading my cushion

webgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of lightwebgum is a glorious beacon of light

I put some leeks in my trolley the other week, was going to make some good ole winter soup. Got to the checkout. $3 EACH. They went straight back. Same for courgettes. Priced each, not by weight.

I know they're probably not in season......but it is winter at the moment, so it can't be that far out.

I agree about the capsicums. They are outrageously expensive.

I am a seasonal shopper, so I do try to buy what's cheap and adapt my weekly menu accordingly, but sometimes I am really taken aback by the prices of things.

When I first arrived here, I couldn't find grapes anywhere. Couldn't understand it, until I grasped the "in season" thing. You are so spoilt in the UK, that you completely forget what's in season when.

When the grapes arrived, the choice was fantastic, and the taste. Wow! Same for apricots and plums.

How can bananas, from WA, be so cheap in NZ. I don't understand.
Old Jul 26th 2006, 3:58 am
Karma Comedian

jayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond reputejayr has a reputation beyond repute

This shows the extent of damage that Cyclone Larry did to the QLD banana crop and the reason for high prices, not for children to view:

http://forum.ecoustics.com/bbs/messages/1/213030.jpg
Old Jul 26th 2006, 5:55 am
Forum Regular

Location: lived in halesworth in suffolk, now on the sunny coast qld
debreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to alldebreeve is a name known to all

Originally Posted by jayr
I was thinking of starting a cucumber thread the other day after nearly collapsing into my trolley when I saw a cumcumber at $4.95.

These aren't your big fat long cucs either but the straggly skinny things. I wondered if some cyclone had struck the cucumber growing belt.

Bananas are really now a treat. Bought two the other week and kids took nana sarnie to school. Daughter returned with sandwich half eaten! Won't make that mistake again.

With cucs at $5 (cant remember what icerbergs are doing but probably only $2-3) even a salad sandwich is expensive. Bananas at $17/kg while chicken breast is $9.99/kg! I was going to buy a red capsicum the ther day but that was about $12/kg yet green was only about $8/kg - how come?

I'm going to give the kids steak sandwiches from now on...
that was an interesting read , i had noticed the cucumbers , but not the other stuff mentioned & have just put them in my trolley without looking at price , !!!! gonna take lots more notice in future . & to think we thought cost of living here in oz would be cheaper . "oops being a whinging Pom again ".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.