British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Encountered our first scorpion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/encountered-our-first-scorpion-503139/)

rockpeblar Jan 3rd 2008 3:47 am

Encountered our first scorpion

Wife saw one run across the floor in the family room this morning. Managed to catch it in an upturned glass but when FIL went to scoop it up it escaped, there was mass panic and it got trampled on so that was the end of the scorpion.
What with FIL coming across a large python whilst out walking our son a couple of weeks ago and a full sized redback in the garage, I'm not sure they'll be back to stay with us next Christmas!!

Glasgowlass Jan 3rd 2008 4:07 am

Re: Encountered our first scorpion

Originally Posted by rockpeblar (Post 5732389)
Wife saw one run across the floor in the family room this morning. Managed to catch it in an upturned glass but when FIL went to scoop it up it escaped, there was mass panic and it got trampled on so that was the end of the scorpion.
What with FIL coming across a large python whilst out walking our son a couple of weeks ago and a full sized redback in the garage, I'm not sure they'll be back to stay with us next Christmas!!

OMG! The length of time I've been here and I've never seen that amount of beasties never mind in the space of a few weeks! That would have been enough for me to catch the plane with them!:ohmy:

tyke Jan 3rd 2008 4:12 am

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass (Post 5732437)
OMG! The length of time I've been here and I've never seen that amount of beasties never mind in the space of a few weeks! That would have been enough for me to catch the plane with them!:ohmy:

:lol:

You are living in the wrong place then!

We had a scorpion scuttle out from under one of the dogs beds last night.

Squish!

Glasgowlass Jan 3rd 2008 4:18 am

Originally Posted by tyke (Post 5732449)
:lol:

You are living in the wrong place then!

We had a scorpion scuttle out from under one of the dogs beds last night.

Squish!

The way I'm feeling today Tyke, a scorpion within 10 feet of me or ma hoose and I'd be down the airport with a one way ticket in ma paw!

tyke Jan 3rd 2008 4:22 am

Originally Posted by Glasgowlass (Post 5732463)
The way I'm feeling today Tyke, a scorpion within 10 feet of me or ma hoose and I'd be down the airport with a one way ticket in ma paw!

I can lend you a Koala - loads knocking about around here at the moment.

The little b@#$%@#'s are very noisy on a night though - must be Koala rutting season or something.

Don't even think of that bleeding airport today.We all get those days.Tomorrow is a different day.
You get stronger going through these days............ says someone who has had plenty in nearly 8 years.
Worst moment was when Mrs Tyke had to go back to the UK last year after her Mum died.I blubbed my heart out right in the middle of Adelaide airport:blink:
Could be worse - you could have the pile of office to sort out like I've got:curse::curse:

Parsnips Jan 3rd 2008 4:34 am

City folks!

Funny hearing people going on about beasties in their suburbia.:rofl:

(I`m not talking about this thread in particular)

I love the spiders and snakes (apart from the one that killed our dog) and the goanna that came into the house yesterday.

Glasgowlass Jan 3rd 2008 4:52 am

Originally Posted by tyke (Post 5732475)
I can lend you a Koala - loads knocking about around here at the moment.

The little b@#$%@#'s are very noisy on a night though - must be Koala rutting season or something.

Don't even think of that bleeding airport today.We all get those days.Tomorrow is a different day.
You get stronger going through these days............ says someone who has had plenty in nearly 8 years.
Worst moment was when Mrs Tyke had to go back to the UK last year after her Mum died.I blubbed my heart out right in the middle of Adelaide airport:blink:
Could be worse - you could have the pile of office to sort out like I've got:curse::curse:

Koalas = cuddly = a wee koala cuddling business from home! Never mind the mess of your office, just dig your camera out !:p

ray2gill Jan 3rd 2008 5:55 am

Talking of beasties. If you move into a new house is it best to have the pesty people in to spray before moving in or after?? Anybody any suggestions?:confused:

Jacqui Jan 3rd 2008 1:03 pm

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of the scorpion that stung my son one evening last year. It was really small, about 2cms long. It was on a towel hanging on the washing line which my son grabbed, didn't see the scorpion until it was too late. The sting made him feel nauseous and dizzy and it hurt like a wasp sting. He ran a temperature and went quite pale, so we rang the emergency dept to ask for advice, and were told that Australian scorpions aren't venomous, these were typical symptoms which should only last a few hours, to give him some paracetamol and put him to bed. If upon checking on him he's getting worse, to bring him in. He calmed down after being told everything would be ok, and fell asleep fairly quickly, although I waited up into the early hours so that I could check up on him. The following day he was fully recovered.

chrispy Jan 5th 2008 4:02 am

1 Attachment(s)
Hi,
this is the critter we had a few days ago, it was a black scorpion whihc although are bigger i have been told are less venonmous than the small white ones... hopefully he was a loner and we won't find any more..

Devonfamily Jan 5th 2008 11:13 pm

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We are looking at Immigrating to Adelaide in the next 3yrs for a sunnier lifestyle etc. Having grown up in South Africa I'v obviously seen snakes etc - but I have to confess that "SNAKES" are my BIGGEST FEAR on the face of this planet! Seriously I am absolutely terrified of them to the extent I'd probably have a major panic attack and freak out BIG TIME!!!

Reading about these experiences with scorpions, snakes and someones dear doggie dying from a snake - is freaking me out!

Are there loads of snakes there? I can't bare the thought of having to see one. Can't even watch snakes on TV:(

brasso Jan 6th 2008 4:48 am

we live in the rainforest on the Sunshine Coast... last year a scorpion joined me in bed and decided to give me a little sting... i too thought it was like a bee sting and just flattened the nasty!!! Didnt get medical treatment... which I regret as when I was driving i just vomitted then got double vision, and lets just say where it stung me I developed a third boob!!!! Went to chemist who took me straight to doctors next door, saw a doctor immediatley who gave me every anti.. going and warned me that anything that stings or bites needs that isnt the norm(ie Mozzies) medical attention.. you do get your own back though... flattened a few cane toads in all the rain we had... today my husband came across a baby red belly black snake and then whilst cleaning the pool a baby brown snake decided to join him...a big long heavy piece of timber comes in very useful!!! Used to it all now, watched a carpet snake a few weeks ago eating a rat in the garden... wasnt interested in me at all, too busy eating , so my husband couldnt resist stroking it... i know we must be mad, beats looking at them through the glass at the zoo!!!!