Reload this Page >

Employment worries

Employment worries

Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment worries

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
7 months in and i'm trying to find a half decent permanent job....skills shortage my arse :curse:
The missus applied for dozens of jobs and only got 1 interview which,fortunately,she was sucessful.I now 'sort of' living off her at the moment so it aint all that bad

Lee
What kind of jobs have you been going for?
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
My advice would be to hold off coming until you see a more positive thread about work over here. Otherwise, you are being careless.
Spot on
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well upto this point I've been one of the most optimistic people on these boards re the Aussie Job market.

I've now changed my mind.

Do not leave a Job in the UK for here, you will be last on the list for a job when you get here.

Post Xmas at Apost is being reported as the quietest in over 50 years. A fair few people consider postal activity a good indicator of the economy. We are hardly getting any business Mail at all. This time last year we were inundated and other years have always been at least 80 pct busier.

The Job market has shrunk to the tune of 30 pct over this time last year.

People aren't getting laid of yet, not en masse anyway, but if someone leaves they are very unlikely to be replaced. I dont meant just Apost with that either, thats across the board.

If you've already left your job, I guess it doesnt make a great deal of difference.
Are you serious in inner melbourne. I had a guy from an agency call me last night saying he is confidence he can arrange at least 4 interviews for when i arrive. But i dont arrive til May- maybe the market will even improve by then? I hope!
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koolkat
Are you serious in inner melbourne. I had a guy from an agency call me last night saying he is confidence he can arrange at least 4 interviews for when i arrive. But i dont arrive til May- maybe the market will even improve by then? I hope!
To be honest its all just like what the UK is like at the moment .. but I dont think its any worse.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

With respect, that comment by the agent could be redundant next month, never mind May.

Put it this way, I am now hearing of friends and friends of friends who are being made redundant. That is the FIRST TIME in 3 years of living here - all in the space of one month. And that is across the board, from finance to engineering.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

movin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nicemovin'on is just really nice

Originally Posted by chasmw
I'm applying for PM roles in Perth (from the UK). Am finding the lack of responses back extremely soul-destroying and worrying. Just about to book the rest of the families flights out there and am now very concerned about the job situation.
Has anyone managed to get a job through recruitment agents and seek.com whilst still in the UK? I'm not willing to resign from a well paid job and end up out of work (which is what most on the forum are advocating!). Quite willing to fly over and do a 2 week job search - good idea or not?
If you are a construction PM, then forget housing, there are still offices being built but less so. Mining is really down the dumper and only Oil/Gas is Ok but even then 2009 will be make or break with the AUD and US$ rate being crucial to business and the price of oil even more so but overall Oz sounds better then UK.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:56 pm

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Spot on
Seconded.

To be honest its all just like what the UK is like at the moment .. but I dont think its any worse.
Be wary of what action you take on the basis of agents alone. A lot of job ads are duplicates, exaggerations, filled internally or binned - and those that aren't are receiving huge numbers of applicants. I too had agents all over me before I left, but the reality is that many are desperate themselves or just play the game whereas on the other hand I hear/read most days about redundancies, whole depts being shelved, layoffs via mergers, hires being postponed etc etc.

That would be just the same as the UK except for some pretty siginficant factors that I think are underestimated and in fact make it worse here - for Brits. In the uk there's a larger population requiring more services with greater career options, you're a local, have local experience, have a network of contacts/colleagues, unis/qualifications are understood, there's no question of motivation for being there (plans to leave/remain) and most fundamentally look for new jobs while you still have one.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 1:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

LouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond reputeLouiseR has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by knockoff nige
My advice would be to hold off coming until you see a more positive thread about work over here. Otherwise, you are being careless.
I see your point but the Aussie job market does not revolve around BE and the posts people make. For everyone who is struggling, there must be others who aren't and who don't use BE, therefore we never see their positive news.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

chasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the roughchasmw is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by movin'on
If you are a construction PM, then forget housing, there are still offices being built but less so. Mining is really down the dumper and only Oil/Gas is Ok but even then 2009 will be make or break with the AUD and US$ rate being crucial to business and the price of oil even more so but overall Oz sounds better then UK.
Used to think it would be great to be a Construction PM, but am now glad I'm not! I'm in IT.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

I find it hard to believe that people are advising others not to go to OZ based on their exepriences. Surely if some one has done their own research in to their chosen area of work then its up to them.

I know of far more people that have moved to Australia (recently) and have found work no problem, all be it none of these being in the construction industry.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

pazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to allpazza is a name known to all

Hi
With the job scene sounding as though it's very similar if not worse than the UK, does anyone think it would be better to just go over and validate their visa, maybes have a little holiday to check a few jobs out, then return home until the job front gets a lot better.

What is the time scale you've got from validating to having to move permanently?

I appreciate some people have to sell their homes to fund their trip over, but with what's being said on this forum about the lack of jobs available i think it would be worthwhile just getting a loan to pay for your validation, then sell your house when things look as if they're going to get better.Saying that, it's probably best to put the house straight on the market, because you never know how long it's going to take to sell. I'm stressed to bits writing this and i haven't put my application in yet.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:34 pm
Forum Regular

Anne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really niceAnne2Oz is just really nice

hi,
anybody in WA or South Australia who is finding it hard to secure a job?

Hubby will be looking for jobs as a Mechanical maintenance Fitter, Mechanical engineer....anybody else in this field not finding work in SA or WA?
very worried!!
He knows he will need to go over to Oz for 2-3 weeks or so and jobhunt after we have the visa (whenever that is...).
We cant go over without a job. We aren't picky though and will even do factory/farm work....
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
I find it hard to believe that people are advising others not to go to OZ based on their exepriences. Surely if some one has done their own research in to their chosen area of work then its up to them.

I know of far more people that have moved to Australia (recently) and have found work no problem, all be it none of these being in the construction industry.
The construction industry, especially new home builds and renovations seems to be holding it's own in Melbourne thus far. Whether thats due to older projects that have to finished or not I dont know. I do know they have 1000 dwellings they still have to finish here in Coburg, plus another 300 to 400 hundred dwellings at the Old Kodak estate here in Coburg. Plus two new estates at least around Epping. So we are not seeing builders dropping their prices due to lack of work in the Northern Subs here.

The multi Billion dollar project for 2020 Moreland is still on track apparently.

http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/build...nd.html?s=1001

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2009 at 7:44 pm.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

eeksy will become famous soon enougheeksy will become famous soon enough

I am worried about finding work as a wall and floor tiler in Perth but I have to as it is part of my study visa. This is my ONLY way of getting to Australia so I have to give it a go. I intend trying to work a bit for free and hope that an employer will give me a go.

I keep thinking that although the housing market is poor at the moment in 3 years time it will hopefully pick up. Even if it is still a bit slow may be people will decide to renovate rather than sell.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 7:47 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Louiseh86
I see your point but the Aussie job market does not revolve around BE and the posts people make. For everyone who is struggling, there must be others who aren't and who don't use BE, therefore we never see their positive news.

I understand waht you are saying, i thought exactly the same.
Before we came out i read a post from someone on the Sunshine Coast saying that they were having to relocate due to not being able to get a sniff of work. I ignored this, thought they weren't trying hard enough, didn't have good resumes or experience, i though we would be luckier.........we weren't.
Just be careful where you place yourself.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.