Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment worries

Employment worries

Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment worries

Im moving over there with less than 5k ! Im just staying in a hostel until i find a job. That should last 4 months or so in a hostel until find a job.

I guess i have not attachments though. Im just getting rid of all my shit. Get rid of all my sentimental stuff who needs it.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:12 pm
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by koolkat
Its better regret something you have done than something you havent done.

People worry too much. A job is a job. If you move to a big city like melbourne there will be loads of jobs. Even if your qualified in something you can go down a step doing something similar to what you do but for less money.

Ive got a good job here in the uk in leeds and just been promoted. Im still jacking it all in and ****ing off lol

Most english need to chill out.
I'm guessing, but I bet you don't have a family in tow. If you are young and single then that attitude is fine. If you have other people to worry about then its a non-starter.

Jobs market is going down the pan in Oz. At the moment, unless I had a definite job to come to, I would be very, very wary about coming out. Being out of work in a place you know is bad enough... being out of work when you are trying to establish yourself in a new country must be a nightmare.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

koolkat is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I agree your right.

Now you got me stressed ahhhh

k
Old Jan 12th 2009, 9:55 pm
Its all going south......

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
I'm guessing, but I bet you don't have a family in tow. If you are young and single then that attitude is fine. If you have other people to worry about then its a non-starter.

Jobs market is going down the pan in Oz. At the moment, unless I had a definite job to come to, I would be very, very wary about coming out. Being out of work in a place you know is bad enough... being out of work when you are trying to establish yourself in a new country must be a nightmare.
TOO TRUE

We are on sunshine coast QLD, there are very few jobs here, especially if you want one in a specific field, that said we have been looking from here down to Brisbane ( anything over 1hr drive) and there is the odd job but they are few and far between and the likelihood of getting them is pretty slim. We have been here for 5months and OH has had about 5wks work in total.
There may be better job prospects if you were nearer to a city ie sydney/melbourne.

I think that the job market is definitely changing, we know people that have been here for years that have never had problems and that have now been laid off. So when you get replys from people saying that they found a job within a matter of weeks when they arrived years ago take it with a pinch of salt, that doesn't seem to be the situation now. I think it also depends on area alot.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

hoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond reputehoofie2002 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by philnorris
We have about $40k which we are hoping will last us about 12-14 months, we dont need want or have a car, until we get jobs. Hopefully that will be soon after we arrive.
I did initially have worries about finding work, but every time i look on Seek there always seems plenty about for IT related stuff.
Plan on having to buy a car - you will find life difficult without one.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 11:38 pm
pink 'n' bouncy

stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute

7 months in and i'm trying to find a half decent permanent job....skills shortage my arse :curse:
The missus applied for dozens of jobs and only got 1 interview which,fortunately,she was sucessful.I now 'sort of' living off her at the moment so it aint all that bad

Lee
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:00 am

betsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of lightbetsyboob is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by hoofie2002
Plan on having to buy a car - you will find life difficult without one.

You WILL need a car, unless you are living inner city and work there everything is very spread out, we couldn't even manage with 1 car! Also take into account the cost of cars - take the UK price and triple it! Look at www.autotrader.com.au for a rough idea x
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:00 am
Just Joined

Slider is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been looking for IT Manager/lotus Notes admin/Windows server/network jobs in Brisbane since October and still unemployed.

Been in IT 17 years & have a very strong resume.

I must have applied for well over 100 roles by now i reckon.

I've been told that Brisbane is quite an incestuous employment market and without local experience you can struggle & obviously the present situation doesn't help either.

I've only had 3 interviews, 2 for jobs that don't yet exist and one for a job that wanted a developer - recruiter made a mistake!

Applying for jobs below what you normally would is not really much help as agencies won't put you forward as they know you'll jump ship at the first opportunity.

A lot of vacancies are getting 50+ applications, and that's for high level technical skills, not help desk stuff.

Tough market at the moment.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
7 months in and i'm trying to find a half decent permanent job....skills shortage my arse :curse:
The missus applied for dozens of jobs and only got 1 interview which,fortunately,she was sucessful.I now 'sort of' living off her at the moment so it aint all that bad

Lee
I also managed to get a pt casual job after hundreds of applications and Oh couldn't get anything so he was at home with the kids - drove him mad!:curse::curse:
I lost my casual job last wk with no notice given at all, OH now has casual work for 1 - 3days a wk, so in the 5months we have been here i have had 2months work (3days) and OH has had a total of 5wk, both really badly paid. I just don't know how long it will take me to find another job now as it took me 3months in the 1st place and there is just nothing for OH (plumber) so he can only do the 1 or 2days he is offered.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 12:06 am

Originally Posted by Slider
I've been looking for IT Manager/lotus Notes admin/Windows server/network jobs in Brisbane since October and still unemployed.

Been in IT 17 years & have a very strong resume.

I must have applied for well over 100 roles by now i reckon.

I've been told that Brisbane is quite an incestuous employment market and without local experience you can struggle & obviously the present situation doesn't help either.

I've only had 3 interviews, 2 for jobs that don't yet exist and one for a job that wanted a developer - recruiter made a mistake!

Applying for jobs below what you normally would is not really much help as agencies won't put you forward as they know you'll jump ship at the first opportunity.

A lot of vacancies are getting 50+ applications, and that's for high level technical skills, not help desk stuff.

Tough market at the moment.
Hi can you add yourself to my poll? - 'How long did it take you to secure a job?'
As i think it may open some eyes
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:04 am
Just Joined

Slider is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by betsyboob
Hi can you add yourself to my poll? - 'How long did it take you to secure a job?'
As i think it may open some eyes
Still not working I'm afraid.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 2:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus

Well upto this point I've been one of the most optimistic people on these boards re the Aussie Job market.

I've now changed my mind.

Do not leave a Job in the UK for here, you will be last on the list for a job when you get here.

Post Xmas at Apost is being reported as the quietest in over 50 years. A fair few people consider postal activity a good indicator of the economy. We are hardly getting any business Mail at all. This time last year we were inundated and other years have always been at least 80 pct busier.

The Job market has shrunk to the tune of 30 pct over this time last year.

People aren't getting laid of yet, not en masse anyway, but if someone leaves they are very unlikely to be replaced. I dont meant just Apost with that either, thats across the board.

If you've already left your job, I guess it doesnt make a great deal of difference.

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Jan 13th 2009 at 2:57 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:48 am

MTPockets is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Well upto this point I've been one of the most optimistic people on these boards re the Aussie Job market.

I've now changed my mind.

Do not leave a Job in the UK for here, you will be last on the list for a job when you get here.

Post Xmas at Apost is being reported as the quietest in over 50 years. A fair few people consider postal activity a good indicator of the economy. We are hardly getting any business Mail at all. This time last year we were inundated and other years have always been at least 80 pct busier.

The Job market has shrunk to the tune of 30 pct over this time last year.

People aren't getting laid of yet, not en masse anyway, but if someone leaves they are very unlikely to be replaced. I dont meant just Apost with that either, thats across the board.

If you've already left your job, I guess it doesnt make a great deal of difference.
Ok. I agree with that. Even if you're coming here single/no kids, at least have a good think about how important career aspirations are vs Oz dreams. Doesn't mean you can can't follow that dream, just maybe postpone for a bit.

As for me - I fall into that no kids category and took the plunge.

Now been here 5 months. Applied for (just checking the spreadsheet...) 64 roles directly, as well as other firms I've called up to enquire speculatively and a whole load of other firms who have received my resume via agencies. From that I've had 1 phone interview with a firm (i.e. non-agency), and I'm pretty well qualified/experienced.

To be honest, for a while it's nice - time to explore a new city etc, but after a few weeks the novelty really wears off and eats in to enjoyment of all the factors you came here to enjoy. Met a lot of great people but have to pragmatic about things - I'm getting increasingly worried about it as only getting worse (Sydney).

But if you have the money to support yourself for some time, are happy doing whatever to get by and don't mind the possibility of going back to the level you were at 5+ years ago give it a go. Just at least do it with your eyes open and be ready for it to take longer than you expect. It's tough - and that's not just in finance, also IT, accountancy.

If I were to rewind time, I would have got the visa then either taken a long holiday/break from work here first (with ability to go back) to get my resume about, speak to firms/people before moving permanently. If you can do this that would be my recommendation.

And in case it wasn't clear, I'm still looking...

Last edited by MTPockets; Jan 13th 2009 at 3:53 am.
Old Jan 13th 2009, 3:48 am

I have just found out that it wasn't just me that got laid off last wk -they got rid of others too. I hope this is not the start of things to come
Old Jan 13th 2009, 4:09 am

Originally Posted by Slider
Still not working I'm afraid.
Add it - location, length of time searching -no job yet.
You are not alone!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.