Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment - What are my chances?

Employment - What are my chances?

Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:35 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment - What are my chances?

I was wondering whether I would be able to pick up any work when/if we ever get to Bendigo?

My wife will be taking up a position with the Govt and I don't fancy the idea of staying home with baby. I would like to find something to do but with no real professional qualifications (but a lot of experience) I'm under the impression that practically all jobs would be off limits.

For the past several years I have worked for myself as a web/graphics designer but I'm sure there are plenty of them already out there even if I was allowed to set up shop, so to speak.

Anyone any thoughts or suggestions?

Cheers.
Old Jan 9th 2006, 8:54 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Employment - What are my chances?

Originally Posted by Dried Graze
I was wondering whether I would be able to pick up any work when/if we ever get to Bendigo?

My wife will be taking up a position with the Govt and I don't fancy the idea of staying home with baby. I would like to find something to do but with no real professional qualifications (but a lot of experience) I'm under the impression that practically all jobs would be off limits.

For the past several years I have worked for myself as a web/graphics designer but I'm sure there are plenty of them already out there even if I was allowed to set up shop, so to speak.

Cheers.
Why do you feel that any jobs would be off limits to you ?

Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:14 am
Account Closed

Hels is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dried Graze

Cheers.

Hi,

I live in Bendigo and work in Employment here. I dont doubt you will be able to pick yourself up work when you get here as the City is growing at a rapid rate and there are new businesses opening up all the time. We have quite a few National Call Centres here that seem to always be looking for staff and we have quite a big Manufacturing industry here also.

It really will depend on what kind of work you want but if I can help any let me know.

Hels
Old Jan 9th 2006, 9:23 am
Account Closed

Dried Graze is an unknown quantity at this point

I just assumed that I would need to be looking at skilled work that can't be filled by local residents but my wife now informs me that on her 457 I am allowed to try for anything

As for what type I will look for, it will depend on exactly what commitment I will have for getting the kids to and from school, if any, so I can't say yet but I am feeling much happier now that I know, thanks.