Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment tax expert

Employment tax expert

Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:58 am
giz
Forum Regular

giz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nice
Default Employment tax expert

Hi,

I arrive in Melbourne on a PR visa on Thursday 21 Apr.

On Friday I was offered employment by a UK company to set up an Australian branch and they would pay my salary from the UK. They have offered me a salary and I have no idea about the implications regarding tax.

I am assuming that my income tax will be payable in Australia but where to start with the Super, Australian equivalent of employers national insurance contributions (if any).

So I think I need to take some expert advise. Does anyone know someone I could call?

Thanks
Gavin
Old Apr 17th 2011, 4:38 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment tax expert

Originally Posted by giz
Hi,

On Friday I was offered employment by a UK company to set up an Australian branch and they would pay my salary from the UK. They have offered me a salary and I have no idea about the implications regarding tax.

I am assuming that my income tax will be payable in Australia but where to start with the Super, Australian equivalent of employers national insurance contributions (if any).

So I think I need to take some expert advise. Does anyone know someone I could call?

Thanks
Gavin
Have a look for Alan Collett from Go Matilda, who posts on here. His company have experts in finance in both countries
Old Apr 17th 2011, 5:02 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by giz
Hi,

Thanks

Gavin
Will you be getting paid in GBP sterling or Aussie dollars? The exchange rate is not good for you at the moment if getting paid in £££.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:36 pm
giz
Forum Regular

giz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nicegiz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Will you be getting paid in GBP sterling or Aussie dollars? The exchange rate is not good for you at the moment if getting paid in £££.
Fixed in AUD (they will take the risk on that)
Old Apr 17th 2011, 8:39 pm
giz
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Have a look for Alan Collett from Go Matilda, who posts on here. His company have experts in finance in both countries
Thanks, will look him up.
Old Apr 17th 2011, 11:47 pm
Migration Agent

Location: Offices in Melbourne, Brisbane, Perth, Geelong (Australia), and Southampton (UK)
Alan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond reputeAlan Collett has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Gavin.

The Aus branch will have to be registered with the Australian company regulator, ASIC - which in turn will require an Australian resident individual to be formally appointed as the local representative (maybe you?).

That done, there will be a need to register for the application of PAYG Withholding (broadly equivalent to the UK's PAYE), probably GST (= VAT), etc.

Superannuation flows from the operation of the Australian payroll.

Please send me an email (click on my name to the left of this posting) if you would like to explore further - or telephone our office in Southampton (T 023 80 30 25 24) and leave your details so we can discuss. For reference, I am in Victoria presently.

Best regards.