British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Employment on the Sunshine Coast (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/employment-sunshine-coast-432335/)

CathnPaul Mar 5th 2007 7:17 am

Employment on the Sunshine Coast

Hi everyone - I started to register with agencies last week, hoping it would go smoothly, I emailed about 7 of them to only have replies from 2, then for one of them to say that I would struggle on the Sunshine Coast and am best looking in Brisbane CBD. Bit mithered by that really as the commute would be about 2hrs (off recollection). The other one said wait until I land before I register with them.

I have also emailed companies direct and sent my CV off to about 5 of them. In the UK I did a trial with my CV at the beginning of the year and I was snapped up by companies within hours. It was merely a test for my CV and I was hoping this would happen in Qland. But no.....

May I ask is this normal practice if its not a trade field you are in??? I work within Debt Management as a Manager in a Bank and am looking at staying in the Debt Recovery field. But its proving difficult to break the market.

I am registered with seek and get the daily emails, where I have applied for a couple of jobs through there, with one saying they will be assessing my app and getting back in touch. Plus I look at www.sunshinecoast.com.au where they list vacancies too. Has anyone got any other ideas of where I can look for work, which wouldnt mean me communting into the CBD on a daily basis.

If anyone would know you guys already over there will.... ;) Cheers Folks.

Cath

Mouse the Dingo Mar 5th 2007 10:41 am

Re: Employment on the Sunshine Coast

Dear Cath and Paul,

It seems as though you are really organised and have the right idea with regards to looking for opportunities within your field. I can only speak from my experiences but I have to say that there appears to be limited opportunities on the Sunshine Coast and the majority of work would appear to be in Brisbane. You may not necessarily have to travel to the CBD and may be able to secure work slightly north of Brisbane but a large proportion of vacancies appear within Brisbane CBD.
The agencies over here can also be a bit of a pain to say the least. They do not always tell the whole truth and I think you are right in trying to assess your ability in obtaining a position in the right location. I would continue (where possible) building up a relationship with the agencies and making contact with the relevant recruitment consultant as soon as you arrive. You may need to keep on their case as they can be incredibly unreliable (again my experiences).
Good Luck in your search !!
Mouse

CathnPaul Mar 5th 2007 8:35 pm

Re: Employment on the Sunshine Coast

Originally Posted by Mouse the Dingo (Post 4484026)
Dear Cath and Paul,

It seems as though you are really organised and have the right idea with regards to looking for opportunities within your field. I can only speak from my experiences but I have to say that there appears to be limited opportunities on the Sunshine Coast and the majority of work would appear to be in Brisbane. You may not necessarily have to travel to the CBD and may be able to secure work slightly north of Brisbane but a large proportion of vacancies appear within Brisbane CBD.
The agencies over here can also be a bit of a pain to say the least. They do not always tell the whole truth and I think you are right in trying to assess your ability in obtaining a position in the right location. I would continue (where possible) building up a relationship with the agencies and making contact with the relevant recruitment consultant as soon as you arrive. You may need to keep on their case as they can be incredibly unreliable (again my experiences).
Good Luck in your search !!
Mouse

sound advice that mouse - cheers, will do and thank you