Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

employment statistics truth or lie

employment statistics truth or lie

Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:45 am
Forum Regular

GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice
Default employment statistics truth or lie

Can some one please be honest and tell me what the employment rate is, I have been told by a number of organizations it is suppose to be about 4% in WA, and yet trying to find work on the job sites is like trying to find sky hooks,
Old Jul 14th 2011, 10:52 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employment statistics truth or lie

I can't comment on stats but I know you're worried - instrument pipefitter if I remember correctly?
Getting work or even responses from these agencies when your still overseas is typically poor. No one is interested unless you're here. We've just tried recruiting a mechanical fitter and had no success so trying again, maybe with the net spread wider and training them up.
I recently recieved a report from Hudson, the international people firm, about the future for WA jobs market and its forecast to get tighter.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:08 am
Forum Regular

GARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really niceGARRYP1302 is just really nice

Originally Posted by EvannTel
I can't comment on stats but I know you're worried - instrument pipefitter if I remember correctly?
Getting work or even responses from these agencies when your still overseas is typically poor. No one is interested unless you're here. We've just tried recruiting a mechanical fitter and had no success so trying again, maybe with the net spread wider and training them up.
I recently recieved a report from Hudson, the international people firm, about the future for WA jobs market and its forecast to get tighter.
Yes I am trying to get work as an instrument pipe fitter, but to be honest anything will do, you say that you tried hiring a Mechanical fitter, do you mean stripping and repairing valves etc, in the oil and gas trade, I have years of experience of working with flanges and valves.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:20 am
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

There are jobs being advertised, but there is no guarantee that one of them has your name on it. In other threads, various company names have been given to you. Job ads I found doing a quick search for WA (jobs advertised in other states too):

http://www.linkme.com.au/jobs/hazelm...46b6c8e4c058c-
http://www.jobswithus.com.au/jobs/li...n=0&job_type=0
Job ad in Phillipines for work in Australia: http://www.workabroad.ph/report_job_...gn=job_details
Note various cards and skills needed for this one: http://jobview.careerone.com.au/Pipe...100873987.aspx
http://mycareer.com.au/jobs/perth-cb...enhanced&s=500

As others have said, it can be very hard to get a job lined up before you get here, and it can take some people a while to get a job once they're here. However, your best chance of getting a job here in Australia is to book a flight, pack your bags and get over here.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:27 am
Living our life wherever

Location: came back to oz after moving back to uk but not settled here so uk here i come, last time im moving
Trevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of lightTrevski is a glorious beacon of light

As others have said, it can be very hard to get a job lined up before you get here, and it can take some people a while to get a job once they're here. However, your best chance of getting a job here in Australia is to book a flight, pack your bags and get over here.[/quote]

And keep your for luck because you will need it along with plenty of patient

Last edited by Trevski; Jul 14th 2011 at 11:30 am.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 11:55 am
Forum Regular

Hello HELEN and Trevinski,I do appreciate what you are saying about buying the tickets and flying over,but it is easier said then done, because of the economy crisis here in Europe, I am not flushed with money, if I fly over and find the work as hard and as difficult as it is here in Europe,the money I do have is not going to last long, probably a month or two, It is the reason that I am trying to find out what the truth is about the work in Australia
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:16 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GARRYP1302
Can some one please be honest and tell me what the employment rate is, I have been told by a number of organizations it is suppose to be about 4% in WA, and yet trying to find work on the job sites is like trying to find sky hooks,
Unless people are signed up to Centrelink they are not included in official figures so take any percentage you see with a pinch of salt as the actual unemployment figure is always higher.

In addition there are a lot more casual workers that have had their hours cut dramatically. I know of some that are only being given 4 hours per week. Still classed as employed though so distorting the figures really.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

HelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond reputeHelenTD has a reputation beyond repute

Garry, I realise that you're in a bit of a 'Catch 22' situation, but if you land here with no job or accommodation lined up, you have some very basic choices: find work and place to live, or survive via the various charities, or return to the UK. The need to eat and have somewhere safe to sleep are big motivators to succeed. This could be the worst that could happen, but there's a lot of very good things that might happen as well, if you're prepared to give it a go, even if it's filling the shelves at Big W or Target.

It is a risk coming here with no job or accommodation lined up, but that's how a lot of migrants do it (including me). You've been given links for house sharing and there's also backpackers. Those with families have to have more than that. You have to choose to stay in the UK and accept the work situation and the other things you don't like, or take a risk and move here, and live as cheaply as you can while you get yourself some work.

Even if there's someone on here who is looking for a pipefitter right now, and they tell you to get over here, they could have filled the job with someone else before you've even taken off from the UK. I've never read it, but there was a book called "Feel the fear and do it anyway" - migrating's a bit like that and it can be a rollercoster ride.

BTW, another job website for you, from the West Australian: http://www.wjobs.com.au/advancedsearch.aspx.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 12:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

jimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to alljimbo_d is a name known to all

Hello HELEN and Trevinski,I do appreciate what you are saying about buying the tickets and flying over,but it is easier said then done, because of the economy crisis here in Europe, I am not flushed with money, if I fly over and find the work as hard and as difficult as it is here in Europe,the money I do have is not going to last long, probably a month or two, It is the reason that I am trying to find out what the truth is about the work in Australia
Garry what the fleck are you still doing there get over to Aus.! Chevron has announced today probably one of the biggest SMP contracts in history - $2bn to these guys on the Gorgon project:

http://www.perthnow.com.au/business/...-1226094803391

Once that's over they have Whetstone to go on to. This is just Chevron, let alone the rest of the majors up the top end building huge gas rigs.

You won't stand a chance sitting in the UK.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 3:45 pm
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I am trying to get work as an instrument pipe fitter, but to be honest anything will do, you say that you tried hiring a Mechanical fitter, do you mean stripping and repairing valves etc, in the oil and gas trade, I have years of experience of working with flanges and valves.
Yes I do mean that type of work. Plus stripping down pumps , fitting bearings and a variety of other skills.
Old Jul 14th 2011, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond reputeBikergirl has a reputation beyond repute

Something i have found, still being in the UK, looking for work in Sydney with an arrival date and visa (husband sponsored on a 457) in place is that by moving all my contact details to the bottom of my CV gets the recruiters on the hook more - total opposite to the UK market. I have had a lot more interest, and had an interview with an agency, got another lined up for arrival and been asked to phone about a job at my earliest convenience.

Also another recommendation was to "buy" a skype contact local number then forward it to your UK landline/mobile number. It again tricks the local emloyers into thinking you are local and keep their interest to the interview stage.

Part of the trick seems to be to get employers/recruiters on the hook first, then at least you can say "I can be in place within X weeks". As long as it is a reasonable timeframe - same as someone who has to give notice - then they will probably accept a skype interview as it does the same as an in person interview.