Reload this Page >

Employment References....!

Employment References....!

Old Apr 18th 2002, 10:47 am
Just Joined

Colin73 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment References....!

Hi there...
I`m having a wee problem with regards chasing up past employers 4 only a 2 year period or so(out of a 12 year employment history),this should`nt be a problem as i can stretch the truth with another employer.Does anyone know if the skill`s assessing people (in my case the TRA)in Aus have anyway of checking your employment pass...ie; through tax, or NI contributions.
Thanks!!!
Old Apr 18th 2002, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the roughMrFlibbleUK is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Employment References....!

I was told not to bother...just incase they do happen to check tax records etc...cos if they find out your lying...goodnight vienna to your visa.

I take it its the first 2 years you are missing? I missed off my first two years of experience because the company was no more....still have about 10 years experience and as far as I can see it makes no odds to the ACS assessment or the main application.
Old Apr 18th 2002, 10:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

That's true. My reference spanned 14 years altogether. There was a 7 year gap in between 2 of them. The ACS didn't mind. They just want to see 4 years of proved experience. Not necessarily in a row. I actually went into their office to discuss this problem with them. They said alot of people have this problem, especially contractors.
Old Apr 19th 2002, 4:41 pm
Just Joined

Colin73 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by onlyme
That's true. My reference spanned 14 years altogether. There was a 7 year gap in between 2 of them. The ACS didn't mind. They just want to see 4 years of proved experience. Not necessarily in a row. I actually went into their office to discuss this problem with them. They said alot of people have this problem, especially contractors.
Thanks for the info!!So basically it`s possible to be selective, meaning to leave out chunks due to the fact that it`s near impossible to get a reference...ONLYME, where can i sit down and chat with the ACS? Must i make an appointment?
Cheers Folks!!
Old Apr 24th 2002, 12:11 am
Forum Regular

timsorrell is an unknown quantity at this point

i think the answer is to just do your very best! Where you don't have references, just make a note and maybe if possible, try and demonstrate you were working then somehow - perhaps with a payslip, salary rise letter, or other other old correspondance from the company. Also, if you happen to know the name of your old manager, even if they are not working there any more, you could contact them to write a personal reference regarding your time then.
Cheers
Tim http://emigrate.hotshopping.com.au
Old Apr 26th 2002, 6:41 am
BE Enthusiast

onlyme is an unknown quantity at this point

I wrote a letter to the President of the ACS (and we met in Sydney one morning. Nice chap. Even bought me breakfast ! Yes, as Tim mentioned and I forgot to mention, I also gave the ACS originals of old contracts, company bank statements, payslips, invoices, etc., anything I could lay my hands on that had anything to do with me and IT.
Old Apr 26th 2002, 8:10 am
Came Back 2003

heading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really niceheading downunder 2002 is just really nice

Also Colin if you are in the UK you can get the Tax Office to do a letter with a statement of employment on. It won't give details of types of companies etc but it will show that you were employed.

Susan