Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment as mortgage adviser

Employment as mortgage adviser

Old Apr 22nd 2008, 10:43 am
Just Joined

StanUK will become famous soon enough
Default Employment as mortgage adviser

I was wondering if anyone on these forums works as a mortgage broker over there? It's what i do here in the UK and am keen to find out what I may have to do in terms of course and qualifications to be able to do the same job over there.

thanks in advance
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of
Default Re: Employment as mortgage adviser

Originally Posted by StanUK
I was wondering if anyone on these forums works as a mortgage broker over there? It's what i do here in the UK and am keen to find out what I may have to do in terms of course and qualifications to be able to do the same job over there.

thanks in advance
Hi there, my partner is a mortgage advisor here and is looking to do some thing similar in Perth, She has been advised by a few people we met to have a look at this website.

http://www.ps146.com.au/

Aparently it has all the information required to find out how these things work over there and what certs you need etc etc. I think it is some thing similar to CeMAP (spelling)
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 11:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by philnorris
Hi there, my partner is a mortgage advisor here and is looking to do some thing similar in Perth, She has been advised by a few people we met to have a look at this website.

http://www.ps146.com.au/

Aparently it has all the information required to find out how these things work over there and what certs you need etc etc. I think it is some thing similar to CeMAP (spelling)
thanks for this
Old Apr 22nd 2008, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

Hi Stan

Look at the following website;- Kaplan.edu.au

You can study here in the UK for the Mortgage Broking paper if you wish. I am doing so myself at the minute.

Cheers

Trev
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by TrickyTrev
Hi Stan

Look at the following website;- Kaplan.edu.au

You can study here in the UK for the Mortgage Broking paper if you wish. I am doing so myself at the minute.

Cheers

Trev
Trev

thats very helpful cheers
Old Apr 23rd 2008, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

TrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant futureTrickyTrev has a brilliant future

My pleasure Stan!!!!
Old Apr 24th 2008, 6:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud ofJacque has much to be proud of

Tough industry at the moment, with home loans down from both home buyers and investors- especially in Sydney. Just also be aware of this, as I've known quite a few MB's personally who've gone under and gone to find in alternative careers.
Old Apr 24th 2008, 7:56 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jacque
Tough industry at the moment, with home loans down from both home buyers and investors- especially in Sydney. Just also be aware of this, as I've known quite a few MB's personally who've gone under and gone to find in alternative careers.
Melbourne is my likely destination and it can't be any worse than the UK at the moment, believe me. I think I'd just revert to real estate if there was major problems, but to be honest, if you can get your head down, work hard and get by in the tough times, the good times will always be round again.

Thanks for the heads up though, hopefully by the time I get there end of this year, start of next things will be better
Old Apr 24th 2008, 5:52 pm
Forum Regular

Agree with you 100% Stan. I mainly deal with investments and remember when we had the Twin Towers incident. Nobody, and I mean nobody, wanted to know. Confidence came back slowly and I am sure the current crisis, like many many before it, will work its way out of the system. Like you said yourself we could be in an entirely different position year end, or early next year, until the next crisis comes around!!!

You cup is half full mate...... not half empty!!!

Trev
Old Apr 25th 2008, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond reputegeordie downunder has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by StanUK

thanks in advance
Chatting to the head honchos at bank AGM,s they have wanted rid of brokers for years.They came in when the securitisation market opened up here with RAMS and other low cost finance providers

The credit crunch put paid to them,no more cheap money to loan out.

The upfront commission and trailing comms add to bank costs,thus the get rid of them attitude.Westpac have dropped the upfront from around 1% of loan to 0.5%,trailing is 0.15%,down from around 0.3%.Take it or leave it is the bank attitude.Any churning is being stamped on by consumer organizations.and not before time.

You may end up as a mobile lender for a bank,retainer plus small comm on business brought in.Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.Mobile lender seems a decent job though,apart from the hours.