Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment History

Employment History

Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:08 pm
Forum Regular

LiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really nice
Unhappy Employment History

Hi All,

Hoping to send off application in Feb but I'm having some problems with the Form 80. My hubby and I have had a lot of jobs since leaving school. We are both in our mid/late 30s and in our younger days had tons of different jobs most of which we cant remember any dates/address - most businesses probably don't even exist anymore or have moved.

I wrote to the inland revenue for help with our employment history but they only keep 6 years of records. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this problem and how did you overcome it??

I have a letter from the inland revenue which shows I have tried to get my full employment history - should I include this with the application??

Hope you can help!

Janet
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:14 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment History

Originally Posted by LiverpoolLass
Hi All,

Hoping to send off application in Feb but I'm having some problems with the Form 80. My hubby and I have had a lot of jobs since leaving school. We are both in our mid/late 30s and in our younger days had tons of different jobs most of which we cant remember any dates/address - most businesses probably don't even exist anymore or have moved.

I wrote to the inland revenue for help with our employment history but they only keep 6 years of records. Does anyone have any advice or experience of this problem and how did you overcome it??

I have a letter from the inland revenue which shows I have tried to get my full employment history - should I include this with the application??

Hope you can help!

Janet
I filled in as much as I could. For several jobs I had to put "???" for the dates as I couldnt remember what was heppening 20 years ago!

DIC have accepted this fine.

Buzzy
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:23 pm
Forum Regular

LiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really niceLiverpoolLass is just really nice

Thanks Buzzy Bee. I'm worried that if they ask for more info I just wont be able to give it to them. If the inland revenue dont know the dates and the firms no longer exist it could get to a stalemate situation.

I'm fine for the past 10 years or so so hopefully they will accept this.

Cheers, Janet
Old Jan 30th 2007, 5:27 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

You should be fine, just fill in the missing details with ??? I think they are mainly looking for dubious employment history, questionable careers (eg in secret service, foreign armies etc)

Buzzy
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:26 am
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Buzzy Bee. I'm worried that if they ask for more info I just wont be able to give it to them. If the inland revenue dont know the dates and the firms no longer exist it could get to a stalemate situation.

I'm fine for the past 10 years or so so hopefully they will accept this.

Cheers, Janet
My OH had a similar problem, just write down what you know and can remember, job description, duties, hours worked p/w(detailing as much as possible) include also that you can no longer get hold of the said company's you worked for and as long as it is written as a self declaration and certified you should be fine (we got the ok).
Sam x
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sam,

Might be being a bit dim here but when you say self declaration and get that certified what does that entail.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Janet
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Hi All,

Hope you can help!

Janet
Hi there, we had the same problem as my Husband has had more jobs that hot dinners. We contacted the National Insurance Contributions office and after putting our request in writing, along with the statement "Under the terms of the data protection act of........... (I can't remember the exact words but they informed us over the phone what to put in the letter) I wish to obtain information for the following National Insurance Number. After a couple of weeks we received what seemed like a catalogue, with all of his employment history right from when he started his first employment. Good luck with the application.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

Wow! That's fantastic. Thank-you so much. I will get on to that tomorrow.

I love this site!!!
Old Jan 31st 2007, 5:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

I love this site!!!
No problem.
Old Feb 9th 2007, 12:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

I love this site!!!

I love this site!!!
Hi LiverpoolLass,
I'm trying to find my employment history from the 1980's.
Did you phone the National Insurance Contributions office and get what you wanted? If so what phone number did you manage to contact them on? I've tried looking at the website but can't see what number to contact them on.
Thanks
Old Feb 9th 2007, 1:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

samnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond reputesamnsam has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sam,

Might be being a bit dim here but when you say self declaration and get that certified what does that entail.

Sorry if this is a stupid question!

Janet
Hi Janet.
A self declaration is a detailed job description of previous employment where you can no longer obtain a reference. You need to write it up in your own words detailing working hours and pay.the amount of time you where employed for,
what your job entailed starting from the minute you arrive to the last minute of the day even down to if you had to clean equipment etc. Include brand names of products used, even try to remember the amount of employees the company had and what amount of profit the company may have earned in a year. The declaration must start with:

I ..........(insert name) of.......(insert full address) do solemnly and sincerely declare as follows:-

at the end of the description write

The reason I am making this declaration is because the company no longer exists due to the fact it (liquidation, taken over).

and finaly you must write

And I make this solemn declaration conscientiously believing the same to be true and by virtue of the Statutory Declarations act 1835

Signature......................... Print..................
Declared at....................................
This (day)................... date of (month)..........................2007
Before me..............................

You have to take this to a JP or solicitor who witnesse's your signing of the declaration and also he will get you to read out a declaration that they have to get you to do by law. He will then fill in his signature and stamp.

Hope this info helps

Sam xxx
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Sam for your reply.

To cheshiremark - I've just had the bumf through from the National Insurance Contributions office - It had all the places of employment and the tax year but no start and end dates so I will just have to do my best - at least they will be in the right chronological order. Will post the phone number in a few mins after I find it!

Janet
Old Feb 9th 2007, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

Here you go.........

National Insurance Contributions Office
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Telephone 0845 302 1479

You have put the request in writing giving your NI Number and Date of Birth - they were very helpful when I phoned and I got the info in the post pretty quickly.

Cheers, Janet
Old Feb 10th 2007, 10:53 am
BE Enthusiast

cheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nicecheshiremark is just really nice

Here you go.........

National Insurance Contributions Office
Benton Park View
Newcastle upon Tyne
NE98 1ZZ

Telephone 0845 302 1479

You have put the request in writing giving your NI Number and Date of Birth - they were very helpful when I phoned and I got the info in the post pretty quickly.

Cheers, Janet
Thanks for the info Janet. I'll contact them this week