Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment History

Employment History

Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Kookie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Employment History

Hi, this is my first posting so please be gentle with me!

I've searched the Australia forum but I can't find an answer to my question, I hope someone can help.

My boyfriend and I are considering going out to Australia on a student visa. I hope to study hairdressing for two years to help us qualify for PR. Having had a look at the student visa form and the PR form I had a query about employment history. I am 35 and have been working since I was 17. I can't remember the dates I was at some of my earlier jobs and I don't have any paperwork. How accurate does this information have to be if the employment was not related to hairdressing? Am I going to have to prove all my previous jobs even though they are not related? I have worked mainly in offices and I'm sure some of the companies have gone bust.

Any advice would be greatly received!
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

chris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud ofchris96 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Employment History

We were going to do the same as you guys, the hairdressing in queensland for pr, just trying now to get the tra, figured it's worth a try first!
We did fill in the student application first, Pam had done a lot of temping so we just put all the companys down, alot have closed but i just think it's to give them an idea how commited you are to employment.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 11:27 am
Canberra bound

killamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond reputekillamarsh has a reputation beyond repute

This might sound mad, but if it is essential that you put the dates in why not speak to Inland Revenue as they will hold basic details of your employers and the dates you paid tax, so perhaps you could use them to get the dates.
Old Apr 23rd 2006, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

Kookie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by killamarsh
This might sound mad, but if it is essential that you put the dates in why not speak to Inland Revenue as they will hold basic details of your employers and the dates you paid tax, so perhaps you could use them to get the dates.
I've requested a printout from the Inland Revenue and although it gives a rough estimate of the dates when I started and left, unfortunately it doesn't tell me what month.
Old Apr 24th 2006, 7:32 am
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

some info that might help....

if you've studied for 2 years in oz you are exempt from the 2 years recent skilled work experience (http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/skilled/index.htm)

if you're applying within australia for the skilled visa then you must meet the 2 years study in Australia requirement, that is:

have completed an Australian qualification, which is a degree, diploma or trade qualification, while in Australia as a result of at least two years full-time study in a course on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS)

apply within 6 months of completing this qualification — noting that your date of completion is the date that you meet all academic requirements for this qualification, not the date your qualification is conferred/graduation

have held a Student visa within 6 months of lodging your application – however ELICOS, government sponsored, AusAid and Defence Sector Students cannot apply

currently hold a substantive visa - that is, not a bridging visa - unless that bridging visa is associated with an application for a Graduate Skilled Temporary (subclass 497) visa.

not have had a visa application refused or cancelled since last entering Australia unless you were subsequently granted another substantive visa

not have any conditions on your current visa that prevent you from making a further application to remain in Australia - conditions 8503 or 8535 are examples. If you are unsure whether your current visa conditions prevent you from applying for a further visa while you are in Australia, you may contact the department on 131 881.

not have been unlawful at any time since entering Australia on your student visa

(http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/ski...visa/index.htm)

also Visa that you apply for after completing study is a different subclass to that of general skilled (136??), so i think some of the requirements are slightly different. See www.immi.gov.au --> studying in australia --> extending your stay