Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment contract etc....

Employment contract etc....

Old May 18th 2006, 7:40 am
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute
Default Employment contract etc....

Evening all (or good morning to others....)

Can anyone tell me what 'benefits' (if any) are mandatory as an employee in Aus i.e pensions etc
Old May 18th 2006, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Trevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant futureTrevglas has a brilliant future
Default Re: Employment contract etc....

Originally Posted by wargod

Can anyone tell me what 'benefits' (if any) are mandatory as an employee in Aus i.e pensions etc
Superannuation is a given for all employees (employer contributes I believe 9%)

You may also want to check out the various state awards, which specify minimum terms and conditions. For NSW see http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.g...rds/index.html

You should also check out salary sacrificing. These are arrangements made with your employer to nominate some of your pay to go for instance on a car lease arrangement, or to buy a laptop. The payment comes from your pre-tax pay, but you need to get good advice, as you may then be liable for fringe benefits tax (OK the employer is responsible for paying FBT, but can ask you to contribute to it).

Any effective salary sacrifice arrangement needs to be based on future earnings, so get something agreed before you begin work (you can also nominate for any pay rises to be given in a salary sacrifice arrangement)

See http://www.ato.gov.au/nonprofit/cont...tent/24632.htm
Old May 18th 2006, 1:21 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

wargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond reputewargod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Trevglas
Superannuation is a given for all employees (employer contributes I believe 9%)

You may also want to check out the various state awards, which specify minimum terms and conditions. For NSW see http://www.industrialrelations.nsw.g...rds/index.html

You should also check out salary sacrificing. These are arrangements made with your employer to nominate some of your pay to go for instance on a car lease arrangement, or to buy a laptop. The payment comes from your pre-tax pay, but you need to get good advice, as you may then be liable for fringe benefits tax (OK the employer is responsible for paying FBT, but can ask you to contribute to it).

Any effective salary sacrifice arrangement needs to be based on future earnings, so get something agreed before you begin work (you can also nominate for any pay rises to be given in a salary sacrifice arrangement)

See http://www.ato.gov.au/nonprofit/cont...tent/24632.htm

Cheers for that
Old May 18th 2006, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

Toppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of lightToppa is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wargod

All and any information on this topic will be dependent on the HIgh Court outcome of the challenge to the Industrial Relations Law Reforms. So don't hold your breath, but yes the current 9% contibution from employers/employees still stands at present.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:51 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Toppa
All and any information on this topic will be dependent on the HIgh Court outcome of the challenge to the Industrial Relations Law Reforms. So don't hold your breath, but yes the current 9% contibution from employers/employees still stands at present.
I don't get 9%.
Old May 18th 2006, 1:51 pm
NorthLakes, Brissy

Ta muchly
Old May 18th 2006, 1:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bix
I don't get 9%.

I'd be getting that looked at bix,

OH has just covered this in her course and her book says employers are legally required to pay a minimum of 9% of your gross wage into a super for you.

yup get that looked at just incase they're shafting you! (metaphorically speaking of course! )
Old May 18th 2006, 1:59 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

All and any information on this topic will be dependent on the HIgh Court outcome of the challenge to the Industrial Relations Law Reforms.
Not too up with this sort of thing but I thought the Reforms were already operational so the information is presumably already in the public domain.

Assuming one knows where to look for it of course; which I don't.
Old May 18th 2006, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

YoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond reputeYoSemite has a reputation beyond repute

yeah the reforms were given royal assent so are law.... however each state is challenging them in the high court on the basis that they're unconstitutional. so they could (if you believe in miracles) still be repealed/replaced
Old May 18th 2006, 2:02 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by YoSemite
I'd be getting that looked at bix,

OH has just covered this in her course and her book says employers are legally required to pay a minimum of 9% of your gross wage into a super for you.

yup get that looked at just incase they're shafting you! (metaphorically speaking of course! )
Sorry Yose, I was jesting and didn't finish off

Point I was making is that it is not 9%. It is a minimumof 9%. As you rightly point out
Old May 18th 2006, 2:07 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Originally Posted by YoSemite
yeah the reforms were given royal assent so are law.... however each state is challenging them in the high court on the basis that they're unconstitutional. so they could (if you believe in miracles) still be repealed/replaced
Ah, but I may win the lottery tomorrow.
Today I know I won't so the picture is a clear one.

We can speculate about what might happen but it equally may not.

Toppa was giving the impression "Don't worry about today cos it's all going to change tomorrow" and that is far from reality.

We don't know if it will change or not so it's best to go with what is fact and not fantasy.
Old May 19th 2006, 6:18 am
BE Forum Addict

and the facts are scary biscuits!!!

was in at a Law faculty meeting last week and they've got notices up for supp(...lementary) sessions on the new IR laws because of all the changes and implications.

IR law are certainly going to screw a lot of people over!