Reload this Page >

Employment contract

Employment contract

Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

paddym is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employment contract

Originally Posted by seanpears99
Hi Paddy I dont mean to be the harbinger of doom, Australia is the best decision I ever made. I am just making you are aware that its not an easy transition, there are lots of stresses apart from just working that people need to be aware of.

Lots of people are going back because of these stresses. Sunshine isnt just the answer but Australia can offer you a bloody fantastic lifestyle. I almost live on the water, have a new car, 2 year contract with a massive company, jet ski at weekends, have a beautiful black lab and a wonderful wife who I met after emmigrating with someone else. Life is what you make it, I would rather not work but I have to.

I earn a huge salary and I am very lucky to do so, but that comes at a price, I leave for work at 6am and get back at 7pm, in the dark, have dinner then go to bed in the week. Live for the weekends, but at least its no where near as cold in the winter so you can still do stuff without freezing your nads off.

I got diagnosed with a chronic illness over here (sarcoidosis) and have to deal with that and everythign else but as moneypenny says, everyone has shit to get through.

Dont make your decision based solely on this board, we are not you and I emmigrated without ever being here before, hate spiders, love the weather and I am never going back.

Sean
Hi sean,

Thanks for your reply. I get that wherever you go you will get a certain amount of shit but I appreciate you sharing what you get apart from the shit and this sound good. I think I would love all that

I have my interview at 10am uk time and then I will know if I get an offer. It's in Perth the job is. It's not something I am desperate to do so can negotiate a little as my life here is far from bad. I just need to have the experience of the lifestyle that you describe. I'm only 26 so want to do this before I get on a bit

What sort of visa were you on and what should I negotiate into the deal should I get an offer. Any advice would be appreciated mate
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:25 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddym
So can you tell me what the good points of living in Australia are?
At the moment I'm finding it hard to find good points in living to be honest but it's not forever, things will get better. Just seen that you're 26. That more than anything explains some of the stuff you've posted. That wasn't meant in a patronising way, it's just a 26 year old has a completely different mindset and expectation of life than someone nearly twice that.

Australia is no different from the UK in most ways. You work, you earn something, you pay bills, you sleep, you shop, you have fun, you have crap happen. For me personally, the temperature/climate for the greater part of the year suits my body far better than the temp/climate in the UK. To be able to live close to the ocean and mountains gives me a thrill even now. The people around me are lovely etc etc. However from a personal viewpoint, apart from the climate and locality, there is absolutely no difference to my life here from my life there.

You will never (fairly certain of this) find another job with the security you have now, unless you move departments in the place where you are now. Not going to happen. If job security is your main priority, and your life is pretty damn good now, stay put. Do not move. However, at 26 the world is your oyster. If you want to explore, have an adventure, see something of the world then go for it. Just don't expect much difference, unless you make it different.

If I was 26, footloose and fancy free, I'd see about getting a years sabbatical from my 'for life' job and travel, get a WHV and have fun. See what's out there and if any of it suits me. Then I'd either go back to my 'for life' job or I'd quit and do something else.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 11:41 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
At the moment I'm finding it hard to find good points in living to be honest but it's not forever, things will get better. Just seen that you're 26. That more than anything explains some of the stuff you've posted. That wasn't meant in a patronising way, it's just a 26 year old has a completely different mindset and expectation of life than someone nearly twice that.

Australia is no different from the UK in most ways. You work, you earn something, you pay bills, you sleep, you shop, you have fun, you have crap happen. For me personally, the temperature/climate for the greater part of the year suits my body far better than the temp/climate in the UK. To be able to live close to the ocean and mountains gives me a thrill even now. The people around me are lovely etc etc. However from a personal viewpoint, apart from the climate and locality, there is absolutely no difference to my life here from my life there.

You will never (fairly certain of this) find another job with the security you have now, unless you move departments in the place where you are now. Not going to happen. If job security is your main priority, and your life is pretty damn good now, stay put. Do not move. However, at 26 the world is your oyster. If you want to explore, have an adventure, see something of the world then go for it. Just don't expect much difference, unless you make it different.

If I was 26, footloose and fancy free, I'd see about getting a years sabbatical from my 'for life' job and travel, get a WHV and have fun. See what's out there and if any of it suits me. Then I'd either go back to my 'for life' job or I'd quit and do something else.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Your are probably right that my outlook is totally different for someone like yourself.

I have looked into gaining the sabbatical and this might be possible but the way I see it is of I get at least 2 years under my belt this would look great on my cv so even after that 2 years is up the worst that could happen would be that we come home and I'm sure the company I'm with just now would desire the experience I have gained in addition to the experience I have now as a senior person with my department.

Once I get a concrete offer I'll talk to my bosses boss who was like my mentor growing up and get some advice from him And hopefully he could pull a few strings for me in regards to a sabbatical or at least be invited to apply internally when I got back.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

Hi sean,

Thanks for your reply. I get that wherever you go you will get a certain amount of shit but I appreciate you sharing what you get apart from the shit and this sound good. I think I would love all that

I have my interview at 10am uk time and then I will know if I get an offer. It's in Perth the job is. It's not something I am desperate to do so can negotiate a little as my life here is far from bad. I just need to have the experience of the lifestyle that you describe. I'm only 26 so want to do this before I get on a bit

What sort of visa were you on and what should I negotiate into the deal should I get an offer. Any advice would be appreciated mate
Hi Paddy

I came over on a 457 through my then spouse who was a psychologist, after 8 months we applied for PR through an 856 visa and were granted it, after about 6 weeks. Fully intend to go for citizenship after the 4 years. Married to an aussie now and fully enjoying aussie lifestyle. Even if it is a little cold now.

What line of work are you in?

Sean
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:18 am
Forum Regular

Hi Paddy

I came over on a 457 through my then spouse who was a psychologist, after 8 months we applied for PR through an 856 visa and were granted it, after about 6 weeks. Fully intend to go for citizenship after the 4 years. Married to an aussie now and fully enjoying aussie lifestyle. Even if it is a little cold now.

What line of work are you in?

Sean
How long have you been in oz? Sounds good.

I am a civil engineer with a railway background. What do you do yourself?
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:25 am
Forum Regular

seanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to allseanpears99 is a name known to all

How long have you been in oz? Sounds good.

I am a civil engineer with a railway background. What do you do yourself?
I work in IT for Ernst and Young at the moment in the Coal Seam Gas sector.

3 years next month and wouldnt change it.

At 26 you might as well as its not as final a decision as it is for some.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 2:38 am
Forum Regular

I work in IT for Ernst and Young at the moment in the Coal Seam Gas sector.

3 years next month and wouldnt change it.

At 26 you might as well as its not as final a decision as it is for some.
Exactly mate. If I don't do it I'll always look back and wonder what if? What's the worst that can happen if I take the chance.
Old Jun 5th 2012, 7:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Tramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to beholdTramps_mate is a splendid one to behold

Who do you work for in Railways with your guaranteed job security?
Old Jun 6th 2012, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

Scottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really niceScottoir is just really nice

with all due respect clarkson is a complete tit.. there's plenty of peoplein oz that are glad he thinksthat way...te he

in all seriousness; you cannot spend your days worrying about losing a job you have.or nearly have. you can make your self as useful as possible and the rest is out of your hands.just make sure you meet your boss prior to day one - there's lots of david brents out there waiting for you once you are in oz (or where ever it is that you decide to settle) then you can research other companies and get yourself a contingency plan... good luck