Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employment advice or assistance urgently required... Thanks

Employment advice or assistance urgently required... Thanks

Old Aug 29th 2011, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

nearly there... is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Employment advice or assistance urgently required... Thanks

Please help!! I am desperately need of employment advice and/or assistance...

After two years working in Australia, gaining and extending my Working Holiday visa, I caught the Aussie bug; presumably like you. My first six months consisted of traveling and extending my first visa. I was happily employed full time and worked long hours of at least six day weeks for the remainder of my stay in various real estate corporations previously worked for in the UK. When not working the frantic search was on to find employers who were willing to sponsor an applicant. Such employers appeared very difficult to find within real estate (obviously lacking the relevant local qualifications and licences it was always necessary to start at the bottom and work up. Being allocated only six months per employer under the terms of the WH visa it was hard to gain recognition to convince employers that although unqualified I would warrant promotion). Obviously a genuine sponsor could not be found at that time.

Under the advice of my immigration consultant/solicitor my Queensland based boyfriend has kindly offered to marry me to speed things up, or else help towards a defacto visa. Though this is tempting and we do qualify for a defacto, I desperately do not want to move to Australia on the basis of a one year relationship.

Have you migrated to Australia on an employer sponsored visa? Do you work within an organisation that recognises the need for foreign workers and understands the paperwork involved? Previous attempts have proven that working within commercial property will be unlikely with my limited qualifications however it must be stressed I have many transferable skills (extremely IT literate, hard working, quick learner, reasonably intelligent, two university degrees from a good uni, very strong work ethic, great team skills and many more...). I am willing to undergo a career move to anywhere within Australia that can offer on the job training or guidance.

Please if you know of anything let me know by way of reply. I understand this is an extremely tall order however any advice or assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for reading this rather substantial post.

Ali
Old Aug 29th 2011, 10:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Employment advice or assistance urgently required... Thanks

I am not sure what anyone can suggest, it looks like you have already been doing the obvious thing in trying to find a sponsor for the last two years or so.

A career move / change is about the least likely thing to get you a sponsorship though. People being sponsored have to demonstrate experience, companies cannot sponsor trainees as if they had trainee positions they should be offering them to people who already have the right to live and work in Australia. So I think you need to focus on the skills / background that you do have.

Not really sure what you are saying about this boyfriend who has offered to marry you. I don't want to advocate marriage for convenience, however the facts are that if you are married you would have to prove it is a genuine relationship but you don't have to prove that you have lived together for 12 months. If you are not married you would only qualify for a partner visa if you can prove you have lived together for 12 months.

If all else fails, then maybe you will need to go back to UK, focus on your career and then try again for Australia in a few years time.