Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Old May 2nd 2010, 10:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Originally Posted by Deancm
Are you sure you got that right? So if they earn more than $71/wk they are eligible for the full aged pension? Seems a bit odd to me...
I did word it a bit wrong, didn't I Earn over $71 and they aren't entitled to any of the aged pension, is what I should have said.

Old Jul 10th 2010, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of
Default Re: Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Originally Posted by AllGoode
The official website:
http://www.futuretax.gov.au/pages/default.aspx

The 9% superannuation contribution is the MINIMUM which MUST be contributed.

For some time those under 50 can OPTIONALLY contribute up to a total of $25,000 per year at the concessional tax rate of 15%; those over 50 can currently and will continue after 2012/June/30 to be able to OPTIONALLY contribute up to $50,000 per year (after 2012/June/30 only if their super fund is worth less than $500,000).

These caps were halved by the Labor Government.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Department/D...below_500K.pdf

A 35 year old starting with a zero balance contributing $25,000 per year into a superannuation fund yielding 8% per year and taxed at 15% on contributions and yield would have a balance of $1,416,132 at age 60.

With inflation of 3% per year the balance would be worth 46.7% or $661,297 in today's money and yield $104,485 per year or $48,792 in today's money.

(If the $50,000 concession persists the 60 year old's balance could be $1,747,999)
Don't believe experts or govts or calculators for the future.At 25k per year that is slightly higher than one third of annual average income.Do you really think that someone at 35 yrs of age is going to pay their mortgage ,raise children and put approx 1/3 rd of their pre tax income into super.Pie in the sky nonsense.

As the funds have not averaged 8% annual growth yet ,why would they average 8% in the future.If you want to believe that the calculations of higher returns than they have achieved ,and lower inflation rates are true ,then give them your money.

Geordie Downunder