Reload this Page >

Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Old May 2nd 2010, 3:54 am
Account Closed

iamthecreaturefromuranus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Employer super payments may be increased to 12%

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Hmmm. Why am I not surprised by that. So for folk whose contract specifies $xxx pa PLUS super, they will get an effective increase in their super contributions at no cost to their take home pay, where people who have a packaged salary up to a total will see an effective cut in their take home pay to cover the increase.

So it all comes down to how you negotiated your salary when you started your job.

S
Sounding like that from the current guesswork on news channels. Similar to a NI increase in the UK
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:10 am
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by iamthecreaturefromuranus
Sounding like that from the current guesswork on news channels. Similar to a NI increase in the UK
Yes. Just think, with super taxed at 15%, it would also result in a nice increase to the governments coffers with 15% of the extra 3% rise going in tax.
Old May 2nd 2010, 4:37 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by harrip
Yes. Just think, with super taxed at 15%, it would also result in a nice increase to the governments coffers with 15% of the extra 3% rise going in tax.
Not necessarily ... because the increased contributions are also tax deductible (by the employer).
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

swans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud ofswans has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
In the Henry tax review to be announced tomorrow, it has been reported that the Compulsory Superannuation payments will increase to 12%.

IF this happens, the most interesting point to be resolved will be WHO pays it.

Many people talk about wages and salary packages as including this superannuation payment that is paid by the EMPLOYER.

However, according to the law, this MUST be paid by the employer on top of wages and salary.

The employer cannot reduce your wage by the extra 3% that they may need to pay, if this is enacted.

eg: A person on a salary package of $80,000 including 9% super, will get a basic of $73,394.50 + $6,605.50 in super.

If the rate goes up to 12% this SHOULD become $73,394.50 + $8,807 super, ie: NO change to the employees net pay
A common misconception,the employer pays part of it.

When it was brought in by agreement with the unions and Hawke a 3% wage rise was given up to kick it all off back in 86 or 87.The rise went into super,small companies just kept the money ,large companies stopped their own (some very generous) funds and started contributing to what were then mainly industry funds.The end of DBF pensions where the company took the risk, and the start of DCF where the worker took the risk

The scheme was supposed to go up to 15% of wages over time but Howard stopped that.Thankfully I worked out at the time it was a complete waste of time and would produce nothing for retirement and stepped up my financial education.

At the time everybody dreamed of retiring rich because that was what the experts told them and exactly what they wanted to see.Somehow earning around $350 a week at the time I couldn't see how $10.50 a week would lead to wealth ($3.50 x 3).

Today is the same,they dream that 9% will lead to comfort,on average wages it works out around $4500 (after tax) per year.If it had started at 9% back then it was not difficult to work out that $31.50 per week was not going to replace what turned out to be $1180 per week now(approx average wages)

30 yrs down the track 4.5k per year will look just as silly as $31.50 a week did back then if it was 9%.Super never was and never will be a good idea.People will have to bite the bullet and put some work into learning about financial markets and take care of themselves.Following the crowd means you end up in exactly the same place as the crowd.

Geordie downunde

I should add back then some company funds were going on average yields of 14% per year to calculate returns.At the time that was not much more than could be had by puting money into the bank,interest rates were high.

Last edited by swans; May 2nd 2010 at 6:12 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:18 am
has lost The Game

Swerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond reputeSwerv-o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by swans

When it was brought in by agreement with the unions and Hawke a 3% wage rise was given up to kick it all off back in 86 or 87.The rise went into super,small companies just kept the money ,large companies stopped their own (some very generous) funds and started contributing to what were then mainly industry funds.The end of DBF pensions where the company took the risk, and the start of DCF where the worker took the risk

The scheme was supposed to go up to 15% of wages over time but Howard stopped that.Thankfully I worked out at the time it was a complete waste of time and would produce nothing for retirement and stepped up my financial education.

At the time everybody dreamed of retiring rich because that was what the experts told them and exactly what they wanted to see.Somehow earning around $350 a week at the time I couldn't see how $10.50 a week would lead to wealth ($3.50 x 3).

Today is the same,they dream that 9% will lead to comfort,on average wages it works out around $4500 (after tax) per year.If it had started at 9% back then it was not difficult to work out that $31.50 per week was not going to replace what turned out to be %1180 per week now(approx average wages)

30 yrs down the track 4.5k per year will look just as silly as $31.50 a week did back then if it was 9%.Super never was and never will be a good idea.People will have to bite the bullet and put some work into learning about financial markets and take care of themselves.Following the crowd means you end up in exactly the same place as the crowd.

Geordie downunder
I do agree with you - it's long been held that 9% really isn't enough money to fund a comfortable retirement. I think many people understand and accept this, as they make alternative investments such as property.

Unfortunately, here we have the government deciding that Super is the best retirement investment vehicle on our behalf, and now, it would appear, moving the goalposts to increase payments on our behalf, but as far as I see it these will make me less well off, and hamper my ability to make my own financial decisions.

I agree with Harrip's comments above - this is just more Nanny state government knows best thinking again - taking away people's choice in favour of what the government thinks is best for us.

S
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:05 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by swans

Today is the same,they dream that 9% will lead to comfort,on average wages it works out around $4500 (after tax) per year.If it had started at 9% back then it was not difficult to work out that $31.50 per week was not going to replace what turned out to be $1180 per week now(approx average wages)

Geordie downunde

I should add back then some company funds were going on average yields of 14% per year to calculate returns.At the time that was not much more than could be had by puting money into the bank,interest rates were high.
The official website:
http://www.futuretax.gov.au/pages/default.aspx

The 9% superannuation contribution is the MINIMUM which MUST be contributed.

For some time those under 50 can OPTIONALLY contribute up to a total of $25,000 per year at the concessional tax rate of 15%; those over 50 can currently and will continue after 2012/June/30 to be able to OPTIONALLY contribute up to $50,000 per year (after 2012/June/30 only if their super fund is worth less than $500,000).

These caps were halved by the Labor Government.

http://www.deewr.gov.au/Department/D...below_500K.pdf

A 35 year old starting with a zero balance contributing $25,000 per year into a superannuation fund yielding 8% per year and taxed at 15% on contributions and yield would have a balance of $1,416,132 at age 60.

With inflation of 3% per year the balance would be worth 46.7% or $661,297 in today's money and yield $104,485 per year or $48,792 in today's money.

(If the $50,000 concession persists the 60 year old's balance could be $1,747,999)

Last edited by AllGoode; May 2nd 2010 at 7:07 am.
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:06 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Having my employees on 15% already it seems obvious to me to just raise it now to 18% and absorb the 3%.

We will also be advising our employees swiftly that this increase in no way will have an impact on their annual performance related increases or CPI increases (both awarded at different times).
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:10 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Swerv-o
Where do you get the information for your remark that I highlighted? I would be interested to know where we all stand legally with this.
S
I was working for a firm of Accountants in Sydney when this Compulsory Super scheme originally came into effect, and I remember the rulings.

The employer could not cut the persons pay, but there was nothing to stop them from reducing future pay-rises if they so desired.

The Law clearly states:

As an employer you have an obligation to pay super contributions on behalf of all your eligible employees.
These contributions are in addition to your employees’ salaries and wages.
http://www.ato.gov.au/businesses/con...tent/24302.htm

Old May 2nd 2010, 7:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
Personally I think compulsory superannuation is an absolute con as we saw with the global financial crisis, lots of people lost thousands. It's just the government telling you they know how to invest your money better than you. (For some that is kinda true though!)
It does enforce people having their own super, and stops them needing to claim the taxpayer funded Aged pension.

Overall it seems to be a good thing, although I did not think that way in 1992 !

In the Budget, Treasurer John Kerin announced that from 1 July 1992 , under a new system to be known as the Superannuation Guarantee (SG), employers would be required to make superannuation contributions on behalf of their employees.

Super contributions were progressively increased between 1992-2002, from 3% up to 9%.

Old May 2nd 2010, 7:30 am
BE Forum Addict

freebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond reputefreebo has a reputation beyond repute

It does enforce people having their own super, and stops them needing to claim the taxpayer funded Aged pension.

Overall it seems to be a good thing, although I did not think that way in 1992 !
Do I read this right that the increase is being phased in over the next 10 years, with a 0.25% increase next year?

I'm moving over next week and am trying to keep up with current affairs.

Thanks!
Old May 2nd 2010, 7:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by freebo
Do I read this right that the increase is being phased in over the next 10 years, with a 0.25% increase next year?

I'm moving over next week and am trying to keep up with current affairs.

Thanks!
Confirmation that Employer super payments WILL be increased to 12%, by 2019-2020,

Chris Bowen, the Minister for Financial Services, said that the change to the rate of Compulsory Super would be gradually increased over the next few years as follows:

2013-14 9.25%
2014-15 9.50%
2015-16 10.00%
2016-17 10.50%
2017-18 11.00%
2018-19 11.50%
2019-20 12.00%

Old May 2nd 2010, 8:45 am
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

and stops them needing to claim the taxpayer funded Aged pension.
You mean it really only delays claiming the pension. (depending on how long a person lives once retired)
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:52 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Deancm
You mean it really only delays claiming the pension. (depending on how long a person lives once retired)
Well yes, once their income drops to under $71 per week they are no longer eligible for the full aged pension.

With the rate increasing to 12%, expected pension benefits should be about 33% higher than they would have been at 9%. Therefore lasting longer.

When compared to days before the scheme began, it is a great benefit.

Old May 2nd 2010, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

keel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond reputekeel has a reputation beyond repute

This 12% figure was mentioned a few months back in the papers. For it's introduction the government will come to an agreement with the unions to lower wage rises to help employers with implementation.

The government then wants the extra super to be invested to help fund the booming mining sector that is suposed to keep the country wealthy, rather than relying on foreign investment.

Keel
Old May 2nd 2010, 10:21 pm
Account Closed

Deancm is an unknown quantity at this point

Well yes, once their income drops to under $71 per week they are no longer eligible for the full aged pension.
Are you sure you got that right? So if they earn more than $71/wk they are eligible for the full aged pension? Seems a bit odd to me...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.