Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

employer-sponsored?

employer-sponsored?

Old Apr 2nd 2004, 7:45 am
Just Joined

frenchlady is an unknown quantity at this point
Default employer-sponsored?

Does anyone know if someone over 45 (my husband is actually 53) is ever sponsored by an employer, or is this too old? He is a skilled railway technician and I have close family in Oz.
Old Apr 2nd 2004, 8:19 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: employer-sponsored?

Originally posted by frenchlady
Does anyone know if someone over 45 (my husband is actually 53) is ever sponsored by an employer, or is this too old? He is a skilled railway technician and I have close family in Oz.
Yes, I am over 45 and applying for a sponsored 457 temp visa. Hoping to convert that into PR once in OZ.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 9:19 am
Just Joined

frenchlady is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Bix but, if it's it's not too much trouble, why are you applying for a temp visa? Is the job a temp contract? Or is this the normal route at our age? How long after arriving can you get the PR? Isn't it a bit worrying if you did not get it? Did you have a phone interview or go over to Oz? Sorry so many questions, but not many companies seem to want to sponsor the over-45s, or is this changing? May I ask what field you are in? Thanks.
Old Apr 3rd 2004, 10:36 am
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Lady,

I have no written qualifications which prevents me going any skilled visa route but a wealth of hands-on experience in my field that is quite rare in the world.

I have a company in OZ who desparately need that experience so they are prepared to sponsor me. They are in regional OZ so the obvious route is a RSMS but equally it could have been ENS if they were based elsewhere. These both have allowances for recruiting people above 45 years of age but in that case they are difficult to obtain and take a long time.

Check out this link:
http://www.immi.gov.au/migration/emp...ex.htm#summary

We have therefore decided to try for a temp 457 visa which is quicker and "easier" to get and can be for up to 4 years. Once in OZ we would try for the Permanent Residency. I think this could start within a few months. Even if that fails the temp visa is renewable I guess up to retirement age. If it reaches that stage and we can't get a retirement visa we would have to leave the country but that is a gamble we are prepared to take.

I am in the white mineral industry and have a deep knowledge of it's markets, value, uses, movements, regulatory info, competition,production etc etc. The job is a permanent one

On a temp you are basically not classed as a resident - other than for tax purposes ! You would also be tied to the sponsor for the length of the visa however I think there is a way you could transfer the sponsorship but that could be tricky and costly depending on the contract you have. If you obtain PR you are no longer tied. That does not concern me as I have worked for one company all my life and do not intend to flit around.

Here's a link ref the 457 visa:
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/visi...iness_long.htm

If you have a lot of dosh you could consider the business ownership visa route but otherwise I think you are going to have to find a sponsor and probably enter on a 457 temp initially.

It's also worth investigating your close family link.

I am of course no expert so post the same question on the OZ/NZ immigration forum and see what responses you get on there.

Hope all this helps. If you are unclear on anything do ask and we will try to help.