Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates versus Singapore

Emirates versus Singapore

Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:47 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emirates versus Singapore

Originally Posted by louise
I'm flying Emirates in April (picked them purely for baggage allowance)

Flying 777 to Dubai then Airbus to Brisbane
try to get the emergency door seat theres a lot more room out front of you
Old Mar 31st 2010, 6:34 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by raven
try to get the emergency door seat theres a lot more room out front of you
More legroom but unfortunatly the armrests are fixed and bigger because they have trays etc in them. You also can't watch the IFE during take-off and landing because the screens have to be stowed.

Emirates generally have 33" pitch anyway so their legroom is more generous than Qantas/BA or even Singapore.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 11:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Damson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond reputeDamson has a reputation beyond repute

Hated Emirates. Like the saddo's we are, we thoroughly checked the seat configuration and checked with Seat Guru. We selected the seats and I had an email from their customer services that the seats had been reserved. However, when we checked in for our flight from Dubai to Melbourne, not only couldn't we have the seats but they said there weren't any seats, but that it was OK because they would cover the cost of putting us up at a hotel. Bumped at midnight with 2 small kids - I don't think so! Played merry hell and they bolted on a few extra seats. It meant we were all split up though some kind folk rearranged their seating so we could all be together (probably something to do with not wanting to sit next to a 5 year old for such a long flight!). Staff were agressive on 3 of the legs and food awful. Never again.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 1:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

We ad exactly the same with Emirates only they wanted us to put our son in the bassinet and for us to sit 6 rows behind.
Old Mar 31st 2010, 9:56 pm
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

I like Emirates - I reckon it's the best food I've had in economy, and that's pretty much across all the sectors I've flown with them.

The entertainment is top notch.

I think the crew are largely OK - some of the younger western crew can be a bit of a let down.

They do pack people into the 777, but to be honest the difference in seat width between them and a Singapore 777 is totally negligible - the aisles are noticeably narrower though so if you sit there you are likely to get bumped.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Emirates seem to have had a bad press lately. Not flown with them to Oz for 2 years now but going to UK in May to use up Skywards airmiles. Will be interesting to see how/if they've changed. 777 3-4-3 configuration seems to be a major complaint, and only 17" seat width compared with 19" on Singapore....but from past experience Emirates are cheaper than Singapore 90% of the time.
We flew Singapore one way LHR - PER in Nov 08. Emigration. Upstairs on the A380...2 seats... fantastic!!
2 more positives for Emirates for me over Singapore (even if the service has deteriorated) - flight times are way better - i.e. the long leg is overnight so good for sleeping....also the baggage allowance of 30kg for economy.
Means I will have a suitcase full of Marmite and decent ground coffee on the flight back !!!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:09 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BATS666
Emirates seem to have had a bad press lately. Not flown with them to Oz for 2 years now but going to UK in May to use up Skywards airmiles. Will be interesting to see how/if they've changed. 777 3-4-3 configuration seems to be a major complaint, and only 17" seat width compared with 19" on Singapore....but from past experience Emirates are cheaper than Singapore 90% of the time.
We flew Singapore one way LHR - PER in Nov 08. Emigration. Upstairs on the A380...2 seats... fantastic!!
2 more positives for Emirates for me over Singapore (even if the service has deteriorated) - flight times are way better - i.e. the long leg is overnight so good for sleeping....also the baggage allowance of 30kg for economy.
Means I will have a suitcase full of Marmite and decent ground coffee on the flight back !!!
And Emirates have bigger/longer seat pitch!
Also why bring back Marmite ? You can buy it in Coles - look for same style jar but called "Our Mate" Don't ask me why.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by EvannTel
And Emirates have bigger/longer seat pitch!
Also why bring back Marmite ? You can buy it in Coles - look for same style jar but called "Our Mate" Don't ask me why.
Yes, I know, but it's TWICE as expensive here !! and it comes in tiny jars...not the 500g monsters!!
Marmite trademark has been nicked by a NZ company so Marmite had to use the name Our Mate.
Same stuff and imported from the UK, but silly money !!
I have seen NZ Marmite in the shops but haven't dared tried it!!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 5:22 am
BE Enthusiast

billymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nicebillymacker is just really nice

Originally Posted by Damson
Hated Emirates. Like the saddo's we are, we thoroughly checked the seat configuration and checked with Seat Guru. We selected the seats and I had an email from their customer services that the seats had been reserved. However, when we checked in for our flight from Dubai to Melbourne, not only couldn't we have the seats but they said there weren't any seats, but that it was OK because they would cover the cost of putting us up at a hotel. Bumped at midnight with 2 small kids - I don't think so! Played merry hell and they bolted on a few extra seats. It meant we were all split up though some kind folk rearranged their seating so we could all be together (probably something to do with not wanting to sit next to a 5 year old for such a long flight!). Staff were agressive on 3 of the legs and food awful. Never again.
Played merry hell and they bolted on a few extra seats.:rofl:

Thats the best i have heard yet, i think you should have posted this on april 1st,
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by billymacker
Played merry hell and they bolted on a few extra seats.:rofl:

Thats the best i have heard yet, i think you should have posted this on april 1st,
If they've over sold the flight you should have demanded an upgrade to business class. Most airlines will concede this if you push them. Just have to stand your ground.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 7:36 am
Just Joined

YorkshireLassInQld will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: Emirates versus Singapore

Since moving here 3 years ago, Singapore Airline has been the number one choice airline for us, we got a last minute flight out here from Heathrow with Malaysian Airlines and they were RUBBISH; food was okay, but they were late on every leg of the journey, planes were dirty. However, i have always loved Singapore airlines, hardly ever late taking off, lovely stewards/stewardesses, gorgeous food and family friendly. however, one of my friends from Newcastle flew up with Emirates and thought they were great, personal preference i reckon x
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:11 pm
Forum Regular

hopelong7 is an unknown quantity at this point

im afraid emirates let us down badly as we were stranded in dubai for 9 hours without explaination on a transit flight to perth.sinapore were consistently very good.we now use eitheid from dublin(live in dublin),it avoids london.we found them pretty good.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

bradburns2 is on a distinguished road

We have flown with both airlines and thought both were very good. We flew from Birmingham Via Dubai to Perth in 2004 and then flew Manchester via Singapore then onto Brisbane in 2008. If i had to pick my favourite it would be singapore airlines, but i have to say the staff on the Emirates flight were lovely, just seemed to have a more comfortable flight with singapore. A friend of mine flew to the Maldives with Emirates and they lost all her luggage, so it seems Emirates once great standards are slipping. Saying that though, all the bad press about Quantas a while ago really frightened me, but we flew with them once and they were supurb. I think it's just pot luck really, some times the airlines are great sometimes they're not. Hope you have a great flight whatever airline you choose
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Merseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeMerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I have flown with both airlines and have to say that Singapore wins hands down every time.

Have flown with Emirates a couple of times and found them to be very ordinary.
On my first flight I was seated near the back of the plane and was one of the last to be served my meal. Now that wouldn't bother me too much except that on this occasion they had run out of the hot food, so they gave me extra salad and dessert instead, not impressed.

On the second flight, their inflight entertainment system which I actually think is very good, kept going off frequently during the flight for a lot of passengers and there was nothing the staff could do about it. Tough luck basically.

Like another poster said, the seats are rather on the hard side and not good for a long haul flight!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 6:10 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sr71
More legroom but unfortunatly the armrests are fixed and bigger because they have trays etc in them. You also can't watch the IFE during take-off and landing because the screens have to be stowed.

Emirates generally have 33" pitch anyway so their legroom is more generous than Qantas/BA or even Singapore.
I AM SORRY TO DISAGREE BUT I HAVE FLOWN 12 TIMES WITH SINGAPORE TO AND FROM AUS AND THERE IS DEFINATELY A LOT MORE ROOM ON A SINGAPORE 777 THAN A EMIRATES AND I THINK THANK 100 OF PEOPLE WOULD AGREE WITH ME

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.