Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates versus Singapore

Emirates versus Singapore

Old Mar 28th 2010, 4:50 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold
Default Emirates versus Singapore

Having made the journey to the uk and back 5 times with Singapore i recently had to make a quick visit home and could only get a flight on Emirates out of Brisbane at such short notice. Now i know why Singapore is always fully booked. Emirates has a lot to live up to to reach thier standard. Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable. And the food was awful chicken i couldnt even chew!
I am sorry i know its cheaper to fly economy on Emirates than it is on Singapore but the extra you pay is very very worth it.
I will not be travelling with them again!!
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:34 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emirates versus Singapore

Originally Posted by raven
Having made the journey to the uk and back 5 times with Singapore i recently had to make a quick visit home and could only get a flight on Emirates out of Brisbane at such short notice. Now i know why Singapore is always fully booked. Emirates has a lot to live up to to reach thier standard. Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable. And the food was awful chicken i couldnt even chew!
I am sorry i know its cheaper to fly economy on Emirates than it is on Singapore but the extra you pay is very very worth it.
I will not be travelling with them again!!
Not to mention the muppets at Emirates have increased fares by up to 60%, so wondering whether it is worth spending $7000 for the three of us (myself and 2 children) on a 2 week trip to Dubai and India in June (of which 4 days would get lost in just recovering from jetlag).... think I'll just ask hubby to visit us in Jul for 6 weeks instead
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:39 am
BE Enthusiast

raven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to beholdraven is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by IndieG
Not to mention the muppets at Emirates have increased fares by up to 60%, so wondering whether it is worth spending $7000 for the three of us (myself and 2 children) on a 2 week trip to Dubai and India in June (of which 4 days would get lost in just recovering from jetlag).... think I'll just ask hubby to visit us in Jul for 6 weeks instead
deffo get him to come here
Old Mar 28th 2010, 5:44 am
BE Forum Addict

IndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond reputeIndieG has a reputation beyond repute

deffo get him to come here
looks like a good idea. My UAE residence visa will expire if we stay out longer than 6 months but who cares....lol

I have return tickets booked for Jun 25, let me see if I can change the date to 17 Dec, will call up Emirates tomorrow.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Poitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nicePoitin is just really nice

Originally Posted by IndieG
looks like a good idea. My UAE residence visa will expire if we stay out longer than 6 months but who cares....lol

I have return tickets booked for Jun 25, let me see if I can change the date to 17 Dec, will call up Emirates tomorrow.
Did you not cancel your UAE residence? Just curious.

We are using Singapore airlines on this trip - but when we come again we've not booked for that yet - but guess hubby will book cheapest
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Poitin
Did you not cancel your UAE residence? Just curious.

We are using Singapore airlines on this trip - but when we come again we've not booked for that yet - but guess hubby will book cheapest
No....Hubby is still in Dubai, so we fly in and out during term breaks and also do our shopping

Last edited by IndieG; Mar 28th 2010 at 10:04 am. Reason: before the grammar police pounce...lol
Old Mar 28th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Kingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to beholdKingseat is a splendid one to behold

I've not flown singapore yet buy I will never fly emirates again.....I'd fly Qantas first....Emirates are a dreadful airline.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:28 am
Devil's Advocate

EvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond reputeEvannTel has a reputation beyond repute

Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable
You do have to be very careful with Emirates and their different aircraft configs as they do differ significantly. There are some old birds out there with worn our of date equipment. Some of their newer aircraft actually have better pitch than the much fabled Singapore A380. I suggest anyone flying Emirates carefully checks with Seatguru or even Emirates website itself and check what you will actually be flying. This is a fact from Perth where the A340 is crap but the new 777-200LR is good.

Originally Posted by Kingseat
I've not flown singapore yet buy I will never fly emirates again.....I'd fly Qantas first....Emirates are a dreadful airline.
I've heard many criticisms of Emirates of late. Last years sabbatical we used Singapore purely on price but normally have preferred Emirates due to routings and times and always found them as good as others if not better then most. Just booked them for July so we'll see.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Elmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to allElmo2552 is a name known to all

We finally emigrate to Perth in 2 days

booked with Singapore so I will let you know how it goes
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

From various threads on here, Singapore seems to win hands down.

Glad we booked with them.
Old Mar 28th 2010, 10:43 am
Karoola!!!!!!

GaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to allGaryVFR8 is a name known to all

Emirates used to be a top airline, In the last 4 years they have gone down hill rapidly!!! I will definetly not be using them again if I can help it.
Gary
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Done and at no extra cost (same class and fare tickets were available!) for travel, changed it from Jun 25 to Dec 17

After this trip, it's going to be Singapore Air always

Now hubby has to change his leave plans to visit us in Jun.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

I fly Emirates 1-2x a month from Melbourne to Singapore and find them to be excellent.

My only criticism is that the seats can be a bit hard so my bum goes numb towards the end. Their food is normally excellent as is their cabin crew (only the Asians though, if you get a European/South African crew they are as useless as Qantas or BA). The seat pitch is actually very good, so legroom is fine. I'm also a broad shouldered bloke and I find the 3-4-3 config on the 777 to be fine.
Old Mar 29th 2010, 6:23 pm
Account Closed

louise is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm flying Emirates in April (picked them purely for baggage allowance)

Flying 777 to Dubai then Airbus to Brisbane
Old Mar 29th 2010, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

sportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to allsportsendurance is a name known to all

We used Emirates last August and found them to be excellent. Having kids meant that we had seats located near the front and therefore there was plenty of foot space for us all. Staff were excellent and the food was good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.