British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Emirates versus Singapore (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/emirates-versus-singapore-661492/)

raven Mar 28th 2010 4:50 am

Emirates versus Singapore

Having made the journey to the uk and back 5 times with Singapore i recently had to make a quick visit home and could only get a flight on Emirates out of Brisbane at such short notice. Now i know why Singapore is always fully booked. Emirates has a lot to live up to to reach thier standard. Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable. And the food was awful chicken i couldnt even chew!
I am sorry i know its cheaper to fly economy on Emirates than it is on Singapore but the extra you pay is very very worth it.
I will not be travelling with them again!!

IndieG Mar 28th 2010 5:34 am

Re: Emirates versus Singapore

Originally Posted by raven (Post 8454214)
Having made the journey to the uk and back 5 times with Singapore i recently had to make a quick visit home and could only get a flight on Emirates out of Brisbane at such short notice. Now i know why Singapore is always fully booked. Emirates has a lot to live up to to reach thier standard. Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable. And the food was awful chicken i couldnt even chew!
I am sorry i know its cheaper to fly economy on Emirates than it is on Singapore but the extra you pay is very very worth it.
I will not be travelling with them again!!

Not to mention the muppets at Emirates have increased fares by up to 60%, so wondering whether it is worth spending $7000 for the three of us (myself and 2 children) on a 2 week trip to Dubai and India in June (of which 4 days would get lost in just recovering from jetlag).... think I'll just ask hubby to visit us in Jul for 6 weeks instead:frown:

raven Mar 28th 2010 5:39 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8454247)
Not to mention the muppets at Emirates have increased fares by up to 60%, so wondering whether it is worth spending $7000 for the three of us (myself and 2 children) on a 2 week trip to Dubai and India in June (of which 4 days would get lost in just recovering from jetlag).... think I'll just ask hubby to visit us in Jul for 6 weeks instead:frown:

deffo get him to come here :thumbsup:

IndieG Mar 28th 2010 5:44 am

Originally Posted by raven (Post 8454251)
deffo get him to come here :thumbsup:

:D looks like a good idea. My UAE residence visa will expire if we stay out longer than 6 months but who cares....lol

I have return tickets booked for Jun 25, let me see if I can change the date to 17 Dec, will call up Emirates tomorrow.

Poitin Mar 28th 2010 8:03 am

Originally Posted by IndieG (Post 8454253)
:D looks like a good idea. My UAE residence visa will expire if we stay out longer than 6 months but who cares....lol

I have return tickets booked for Jun 25, let me see if I can change the date to 17 Dec, will call up Emirates tomorrow.

Did you not cancel your UAE residence? Just curious.

We are using Singapore airlines on this trip - but when we come again we've not booked for that yet - but guess hubby will book cheapest:)

IndieG Mar 28th 2010 8:06 am

Originally Posted by Poitin (Post 8454394)
Did you not cancel your UAE residence? Just curious.

We are using Singapore airlines on this trip - but when we come again we've not booked for that yet - but guess hubby will book cheapest:)

No....Hubby is still in Dubai, so we fly in and out during term breaks and also do our shopping;)

Kingseat Mar 28th 2010 8:27 am

I've not flown singapore yet buy I will never fly emirates again.....I'd fly Qantas first....Emirates are a dreadful airline.

EvannTel Mar 28th 2010 9:28 am

Originally Posted by raven (Post 8454214)
Why do they sneak an extra seat on thier 777s it was like being on a charter flight to spain. seats are also closer together so if the person in front puts thier seat back its very very uncomfortable

You do have to be very careful with Emirates and their different aircraft configs as they do differ significantly. There are some old birds out there with worn our of date equipment. Some of their newer aircraft actually have better pitch than the much fabled Singapore A380. I suggest anyone flying Emirates carefully checks with Seatguru or even Emirates website itself and check what you will actually be flying. This is a fact from Perth where the A340 is crap but the new 777-200LR is good.

Originally Posted by Kingseat (Post 8454423)
I've not flown singapore yet buy I will never fly emirates again.....I'd fly Qantas first....Emirates are a dreadful airline.

I've heard many criticisms of Emirates of late. Last years sabbatical we used Singapore purely on price but normally have preferred Emirates due to routings and times and always found them as good as others if not better then most. Just booked them for July so we'll see.

Elmo2552 Mar 28th 2010 9:49 am

We finally emigrate to Perth in 2 days:eek:

booked with Singapore so I will let you know how it goes
:fingerscrossed:

Alfresco Mar 28th 2010 10:13 am

From various threads on here, Singapore seems to win hands down.

Glad we booked with them. :thumbup:

GaryVFR8 Mar 28th 2010 10:43 am

Emirates used to be a top airline, In the last 4 years they have gone down hill rapidly!!! I will definetly not be using them again if I can help it.
Gary

IndieG Mar 29th 2010 2:26 am

Done and at no extra cost (same class and fare tickets were available!) for travel, changed it from Jun 25 to Dec 17:thumbsup:

After this trip, it's going to be Singapore Air always:)

Now hubby has to change his leave plans to visit us in Jun.

sr71 Mar 29th 2010 2:34 pm

I fly Emirates 1-2x a month from Melbourne to Singapore and find them to be excellent.

My only criticism is that the seats can be a bit hard so my bum goes numb towards the end. Their food is normally excellent as is their cabin crew (only the Asians though, if you get a European/South African crew they are as useless as Qantas or BA). The seat pitch is actually very good, so legroom is fine. I'm also a broad shouldered bloke and I find the 3-4-3 config on the 777 to be fine.

louise Mar 29th 2010 6:23 pm

:ohmy: I'm flying Emirates in April (picked them purely for baggage allowance)

Flying 777 to Dubai then Airbus to Brisbane

sportsendurance Mar 29th 2010 8:29 pm

We used Emirates last August and found them to be excellent. Having kids meant that we had seats located near the front and therefore there was plenty of foot space for us all. Staff were excellent and the food was good.