Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

EMIRATES Flights I am Stuck? Any chance of a hand?

EMIRATES Flights I am Stuck? Any chance of a hand?

Old Jun 25th 2009, 6:08 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute
Default EMIRATES Flights I am Stuck? Any chance of a hand?

Alright,

I am now getting all revved up to book my flight. One way to Brisbane, end of September, vroooom!

I want to fly through the night, a few sherberts, a few more, nice and dark, all the kiddies are sleeping, and i look even more handsome in the dark.

I like the flight from Manchester, takes off around 9pm, and lands in Dubai at around 7.30 in the morning. Now that is the easy bit, the hard bit is the take off at 10.30am in the morning from Dubai, land in Brisbane at 7.30am in the morning.

Now has anyone taken this flight, because really i want to fly through the night on the longest bit. But what i cannot seem to get my head round is if you are landing in Brisbane in the morning, then a big chunk of the trip must be in the dark. Can anyone tell me how much of the trip is in the dark, and how much of the trip is in the day?

Take off the beginning of the day, land at the beginning of the day, yet you are flying in the day or in the night or both?

Cheers Keith
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

shorrock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: EMIRATES Flights I am Stuck? Any chance of a hand?

Originally Posted by Keith Moon
Alright,

Take off the beginning of the day, land at the beginning of the day, yet you are flying in the day or in the night or both?

Cheers Keith
On longhaul flights you will find the staff will ask that all window shutters be drawn, so that people can sleep of the effects of the large quantities of booze they have been serving since take off. Staff will want you to sleep/dooze so that they can slack off at the back without any customer asks.

About 1/2 of your flight time will be in "day" and the other Half will be at night. From a light / dark point of view. The plane should be dark for the majority of the flight, since the shutters will be closed.

As a safe guard get yourself ear plugs AND a face/eye mask. I found these to be very effective.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

The Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond reputeThe Dean has a reputation beyond repute

Alright,

I am now getting all revved up to book my flight. One way to Brisbane, end of September, vroooom!

I want to fly through the night, a few sherberts, a few more, nice and dark, all the kiddies are sleeping, and i look even more handsome in the dark.

I like the flight from Manchester, takes off around 9pm, and lands in Dubai at around 7.30 in the morning. Now that is the easy bit, the hard bit is the take off at 10.30am in the morning from Dubai, land in Brisbane at 7.30am in the morning.

Now has anyone taken this flight, because really i want to fly through the night on the longest bit. But what i cannot seem to get my head round is if you are landing in Brisbane in the morning, then a big chunk of the trip must be in the dark. Can anyone tell me how much of the trip is in the dark, and how much of the trip is in the day?

Cheers Keith
Sorry, Drummer Boy, but speaking as a man who has flown the equiv of about 3 times round the world on Emirates (but never to Brisbane), those times make perfect sense.

The time diff between Dubai and Brisbane is +6 hours (i.e. at midday in Dubai, it is 6pm in Brisbane). That would suggest a flight of 15 (21 minus 6) hours. I've done the Sydney-Dubai non-stop jobby a couple of times and it's about 14-ish hours, so that would seem about right.

If you are flying west-to-east (which you are), the time zones change more quickly (due to earth's direction of rotation), so it will get dark (but not for long) but will be getting light again long before Brisbane.

OK?
Old Jun 25th 2009, 8:50 pm
Banned

Keith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond reputeKeith Moon has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers peeps, sent you some karma's!

The Dean, great avatar, 62, so young, so sexy, i luved Charly's Angle's, i kind of liked all of them.

Live life now, because it could just end next week! Be Happy.
Old Jun 25th 2009, 10:53 pm
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Just be aware that the flight from Dubai to Brisbane, will stop for refueling in Singapore.... You all have to get off the plane at the equivalent of midnight ( Brissie time) wait an hour and get back on again.

They don't tell you and OH and I thought we'd got on the wrong plane when the captain came on and told us the flight time to Singapore!!!
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alipally
Just be aware that the flight from Dubai to Brisbane, will stop for refueling in Singapore.... You all have to get off the plane at the equivalent of midnight ( Brissie time) wait an hour and get back on again.

They don't tell you and OH and I thought we'd got on the wrong plane when the captain came on and told us the flight time to Singapore!!!
Not necessarily. There is a direct flight from Dubai to Brisbane now, and in fact the flight they are on departing dubai at 10.30 am we did a few weeks ago. Flys direct to Brisbane about 13 hours or so.

Last edited by sassie; Jun 26th 2009 at 1:16 am.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:13 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Alright,

Cheers Keith
We did that flight a few weeks ago, and quite honestly, departing at 10.30 am, having just had a good nights sleep, and as its only about a 13 hour or so flight, we found we were awake for most of it.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:18 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

Out of the Korean flight you posted and this, I would choose the Emirates flight. That said, I might be more tempted not to fly from MAN and instead get a domestic connection to LHR.

My reasoning is that the carriers tend to fly old equipped planes on the MAN sector, but from LHR most use shiny new planes such as the 77W and the A380. This makes for better seating, better inflight entertainment and a more varied and usually cheaper fare since there is more competition the route.

By doing that you could choose from Virgin, Singapore, Malaysian, JAL, Qantas, Emirates, Korean, Thai, BA etc.

Of course, there is the faffing around factor of an additional flight and if you have small kids then adding one more very short domestic sector may not be appropriate.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:39 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Alright,

Cheers Keith

Wear sunglasses all the way and you'll be in the dark,sorted
Old Jun 26th 2009, 3:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

The answer is "night, day, night, day"! (ie you land in BNE two days later.)
Old Jun 26th 2009, 10:00 am
Banned

Cheers Guys, sent you all a YodyDo Karma!

Cannot decide what to do, the price i am looking at is £620.00 one way for the Emirates, if i booked it for next week, its the same price as for Sept/Oct?

So it looks as if the price does not change much? I am currently based around the Cheshire area, what would you do? I want to fly at the end of September, one way, cannot sleep on planes?

Keith
Old Jun 26th 2009, 11:26 am
Ping pong PoM

alipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond reputealipally has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie
Not necessarily. There is a direct flight from Dubai to Brisbane now, and in fact the flight they are on departing dubai at 10.30 am we did a few weeks ago. Flys direct to Brisbane about 13 hours or so.
Cool! Everyday is a school day! Thanks for that
Old Jun 26th 2009, 1:39 pm
Use time wisely

Darren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud ofDarren-Debbie has much to be proud of

only to glad to be of service,
Attached Thumbnails EMIRATES Flights I am Stuck? Any chance of a hand?-images.jpg  
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Alright,
Now that is the easy bit, the hard bit is the take off at 10.30am in the morning from Dubai, land in Brisbane at 7.30am in the morning.
Cheers Keith
As flying East to West 7 - 8 hours will be during the night as you will be flying across the equator. It will be night from an hour after Singapore to an hour before arriving in Brisbane.

We are taking this flight on Tuesday. Once breakfast has been served everyone gets down to relaxing for several hours.

A question though why do people request window seats and then pull down the blinds so they can't see out? I love looking out at the clouds and when clear the countries far below us looking at snow caped mountains and different terrain.
Old Jun 26th 2009, 7:24 pm
The Brains

ray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to allray2gill is a name known to all

Originally Posted by alipally
It would appear that the poster is taking the direct flight which doesn't stop in Singapore. It is a 15 hour flight.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.