British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Emirates, a few questions for those who have flown (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/emirates-few-questions-those-who-have-flown-611486/)

Holbrob May 27th 2009 9:54 am

Emirates, a few questions for those who have flown

Hi all, we are flying out (NCL-DUB-BRI) in about 6 weeks and have a couple of questions.

- We have a 2 and a bit hour stop in DUB before we transfer to the Brisbane flight, i would like to be able to let the kids (4, 3 and 2!!!) have a bit of a play between flights to stretch their legs a bit. The only play areas i can see in Terminal 3 are in the 1st and Biz class lounges, i may be reading the map incorrectly but if they are in the lounges do you know if we can get in to use them?

- Again, stopover related. I want to get some Dirhams to spend in the airport on essentials (Water, snacks etc) and don't want to change lots of currency to find that i don't need it all. Any ideas on costs in the airport?

- What kind of food do they have for the kids? We have requested kids meals but i cannot find anything specific about what they actually get? We have no allergies etc to worry about (my kids are the most efficient food disposal units on the planet) just want to keep them away from the fizzy stuff for the flight! Also i have read some threads on here about the C/C giving out goody packs to the kids, any ideas what we would expect to find in them as well?

Thought i would just add a few snippets of the experience so far with Emirates. I have never flown with them but so far they have impressed me. I booked our one way emigration flights using the Moving Planet code (clicking the link from the MP website), followed up the booking with a phone call and proof of the visa and i had a letter of confirmation that we would have 50Kgs baggage each :eek :D

I have signed the kids up to the kids reward scheme. The kids have since received some nice labels and things for their baggage, i know that you end up paying for this in with the tickets but it is a nice touch if you ask me!

Apologies for the long and winding thread but i couldn't find any proper answers anywhere. I did try a search, but a lot of the information was out of date.

Thanks in advance for your help. Bri

Pollyana May 27th 2009 10:00 am

Re: Emirates, a few questions for those who have flown

Originally Posted by Holbrob (Post 7608237)
Hi all, we are flying out (NCL-DUB-BRI) in about 6 weeks and have a couple of questions.

- We have a 2 and a bit hour stop in DUB before we transfer to the Brisbane flight, i would like to be able to let the kids (4, 3 and 2!!!) have a bit of a play between flights to stretch their legs a bit. The only play areas i can see in Terminal 3 are in the 1st and Biz class lounges, i may be reading the map incorrectly but if they are in the lounges do you know if we can get in to use them?

- Again, stopover related. I want to get some Dirhams to spend in the airport on essentials (Water, snacks etc) and don't want to change lots of currency to find that i don't need it all. Any ideas on costs in the airport?

- What kind of food do they have for the kids? We have requested kids meals but i cannot find anything specific about what they actually get? We have no allergies etc to worry about (my kids are the most efficient food disposal units on the planet) just want to keep them away from the fizzy stuff for the flight! Also i have read some threads on here about the C/C giving out goody packs to the kids, any ideas what we would expect to find in them as well?

Thought i would just add a few snippets of the experience so far with Emirates. I have never flown with them but so far they have impressed me. I booked our one way emigration flights using the Moving Planet code (clicking the link from the MP website), followed up the booking with a phone call and proof of the visa and i had a letter of confirmation that we would have 50Kgs baggage each :eek :D

I have signed the kids up to the kids reward scheme. The kids have since received some nice labels and things for their baggage, i know that you end up paying for this in with the tickets but it is a nice touch if you ask me!

Apologies for the long and winding thread but i couldn't find any proper answers anywhere. I did try a search, but a lot of the information was out of date.

If the play areas are in the Lounges then you will need to meet the requirements for the Lounges in order to use them - fly in the appropriat class, or be in Frequent Flyer schemes etc.

herrchook May 27th 2009 10:03 am

Have flown with Emirates quite a lot over the last couple of years and usually have the same length of stopover you have. I wouldn't worry about looking for play areas. By the time you get off the plane, get bused to the security point and find your gate for your onward flight you probably won't have too much spare time on your hands. We have never needed local currency and have only ever used our credit cards. We've bought coffees, ice creams and duty free goods and never always used the card.

You will be fed so much on the plane that I doubt you're really going to be looking for much more than a snack in the airport, if at all.

The beauty of the kids meals is that they are served first. That means, you get time to help them deal with the mountain of food they are served before your own arrives, and also, it means when yours comes, you will probably get more peace to eat it. Our kids tend to pick at the meals and often leave most of it. It's fine for flight food but nothing special. They always bring lots of snacks with the kids meals, so we gather those up and use them at different times suring the flight when the kids need a distraction or are peckish.

Have a good flight.

kar-kier May 27th 2009 10:12 am

I'd agree with this, you are ferried through so fast they barely have time to walk let alone play! I couldn't find a baby change at the departure gate though - that was a nightmare!
One of the meals was fish fingers, with mashed potatoes and peas. He also get a kitcat and fruit pastilles. I'm sure there was more than that in it, but that is what sticks out in my mind!
We used £ in Dubai and it was fine.

Enjoy your flight, and just remember, you don't need to do it again in 2 weeks time!! :)

aasmith1957 May 27th 2009 11:55 am

Hi
We fly emirates when going back to uk for hols and will be using them again when house is sold for our journey home.We pay for coffee,with pounds,duty free we use credit card.Only have time for quick coffee, go for a cigarette and get duty free, before you have to rock up at departure gate.:thumbsup:Tried to have a second one but there was so much smoke in the room my eyes started smarting!!that and i was the only middle aged female amongst all these middle eastern gentlemen:eek:

sassie May 27th 2009 11:58 am

Originally Posted by Holbrob (Post 7608237)

Unfortunately, if the children's play areas are only in the 1st and biz class lounges, then as another posted mentioned, you would need the relevant tickets to be able to access them. Having said that though, 2 hours is not that long for a turnaround. They usually require you to be back at the gate 45 minutes to an hour before departure, so by the time you disembark the aircraft, locate the gate for your onward flight and clear security again, there won't be much time to play with. As for changing up dirhams, you can use sterling at the airpport and as another poster said, you will be fed quite a lot on the aircraft, so probably won't need to buy much in the way of snacks. The cabin crew do hand out kiddies packs, but I'm not sure exactly what is in them. The Emirates inflight entertainment is one of the best I've come across, with loads of movies and games for the kids.

Hope you have a good flight.

teppic May 27th 2009 12:20 pm

Totally agree with the kids meals and play rooms

dont bother with cash, they will take virtually anything

there is even a small chemists in the terminal so dont worry about that side but be prepared its always busy - think paddington station with more people sleeping in the paths.

Do watch out for an additional fuel stop in Changi Singapore that may or may not happen...

Emirates do not always advertise this, so check. it will only be an hour ish and there is always a food place or two open.

Have fun and Good luck.....

paulandcelia May 27th 2009 8:23 pm

We flew with Emirates last August from Newcastle - Dubai- Perth with 3 kids 4,6 and 1 and the cabin crew couldnt have been more helpful, kids were fed regularly with plenty of snacks to keep them from getting hungry, they were given a hand puppet each and colouring books and pencils to play with, though they mostly slept or watched the movie that was on.

RenShen May 27th 2009 11:36 pm

In any airport you can usually find an area with a bit of space. Why dont you take a small blow up beach ball in your hand luggage, inflate it, and let them play pass for a while? Can't do any damage and the kids will have a good run about before they get back on the plane. Hope you enjoy your journey.

Holbrob May 28th 2009 8:28 am

Thanks all for your advice and information, hope to see some of you out there for a tinny or two once things settle down!

Cheers:thumbup:

Lenmil May 28th 2009 8:32 am

We have flown Newcastle to Melbourne via Dubai a few times. Great service. You will be looked after all the way.:thumbsup:

bu1lder May 28th 2009 8:40 am

Originally Posted by aasmith1957 (Post 7608517)
Hi
We fly emirates when going back to uk for hols and will be using them again when house is sold for our journey home.We pay for coffee,with pounds,duty free we use credit card.Only have time for quick coffee, go for a cigarette and get duty free, before you have to rock up at departure gate.:thumbsup:Tried to have a second one but there was so much smoke in the room my eyes started smarting!!that and i was the only middle aged female amongst all these middle eastern gentlemen:eek:

I remember thinking how funny the people looked all squashed into those small glass boxes to suck on their fags! Lol

aasmith1957 May 28th 2009 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by bu1lder (Post 7611589)
I remember thinking how funny the people looked all squashed into those small glass boxes to suck on their fags! Lol

Not so funny when one guy ask you for a cigarette and everyone is staring at you waiting for your response!!!i Just looked at him and said sorry but no. I told oh and he was 'are you f*$^ing serious,why didnt you just give him one?' Dont like to feel intimidated by anyone no matter what race or gender.Lucky i have managed to get to my 50s without any mishaps.:rofl:

mi5agent May 28th 2009 1:40 pm

Unless it has changed since we flew out last October - The plane will land and taxi to the far end of the terminal.
Then you will get on a bus that will take to to the far end of the termnal where you started!

Then after going through security checks ...again - you walk back to the far end of the terminal where you got on the bus!

We went business class and looked forward to using the lounge.
We just about got there and I had a wash and changed my shirt, when they announced our flight boarding!

I think your kids will get enough excercise galloping down to the gate, the terminal building is about 1 mile long!

BUT, they have opened the new terminal and it may be better.
We used Emeriates 3 times on our trips back to Oz enough to build up airmiles to give us the business class upgrade coming back for the last time and what I describe above happened each time - except for a delay of 5 hours once...if you arrive at night...dont fret about all the people sleeping behind and under the seats alongside the travelator, most of um are cheap labour at the airport and sleeping there save um money!

bu1lder May 28th 2009 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by aasmith1957 (Post 7612220)
Not so funny when one guy ask you for a cigarette and everyone is staring at you waiting for your response!!!i Just looked at him and said sorry but no. I told oh and he was 'are you f*$^ing serious,why didnt you just give him one?' Dont like to feel intimidated by anyone no matter what race or gender.Lucky i have managed to get to my 50s without any mishaps.:rofl:

Oh, that's good.