Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emirates 777-300ER question...

Emirates 777-300ER question...

Old Mar 13th 2009, 2:51 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emirates 777-300ER question...

I have been trawling the Emirates threads as we are booking with them this time since we need to validate and they are cheapest and most direct return flights.

My husband is just over 6ft 4" and built like a brick sh*t house (does weights, very manual job etc) and really struggles on flights. He also has a bad knee following a bike accident a few years back but doesn't always get the extra legroom seats so we try to find out which planes are the best for comfort all round.

Anyway, after all that explaining, the Emirates flights we are looking at have either the 777-300ER from Glasgow-Dubai and 777-300ER again from Dubai-Sydney or the 777-300ER to Dubai then Airbus A380-800 to Sydney.

Any advice on this plane? Or to avoid it or the A380-800?

Sorry to be so specific but there you go....

Thanks in advance for any answers
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Emirates 777-300ER question...

Not really relevant to legroom but worth mentioning. We were originally thinking of going with emirates thinking they were more direct as we can go straight from glasgow without the Heathrow stop. But after looking into it on the second leg the flight from Dubai stops in Singapore for an hour or two and you have to stay on the plane, I think that cancels out the advantage of going direct from Glasgow so now we're going down to Heathrow and out with Cathay Pacific. Another advantage is we get to say goodbye to Scotland from Edinburgh!

We are going to Brisbane though so it might not be the case on Sydney flights, just thought it might be worth you checking out.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question!

Lindsay x
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:07 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace
I have been trawling the Emirates threads as we are booking with them this time since we need to validate and they are cheapest and most direct return flights.

My husband is just over 6ft 4" and built like a brick sh*t house (does weights, very manual job etc) and really struggles on flights. He also has a bad knee following a bike accident a few years back but doesn't always get the extra legroom seats so we try to find out which planes are the best for comfort all round.

Anyway, after all that explaining, the Emirates flights we are looking at have either the 777-300ER from Glasgow-Dubai and 777-300ER again from Dubai-Sydney or the 777-300ER to Dubai then Airbus A380-800 to Sydney.

Any advice on this plane? Or to avoid it or the A380-800?

Sorry to be so specific but there you go....

Thanks in advance for any answers
You might find something on this site, worth a look - http://www.seatguru.com/
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:09 pm
Forum Regular

WeGottaGetOuttaThisPlace is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow - had no idea about this. I just put our dates in on the Emirates site and it says 1 stopover between Dubai and Syndey on the booking page... That must be what you are talking about.... Hmmm.....

Thanks very much for the heads up!!!

Originally Posted by desperatehousewife
Not really relevant to legroom but worth mentioning. We were originally thinking of going with emirates thinking they were more direct as we can go straight from glasgow without the Heathrow stop. But after looking into it on the second leg the flight from Dubai stops in Singapore for an hour or two and you have to stay on the plane, I think that cancels out the advantage of going direct from Glasgow so now we're going down to Heathrow and out with Cathay Pacific. Another advantage is we get to say goodbye to Scotland from Edinburgh!

We are going to Brisbane though so it might not be the case on Sydney flights, just thought it might be worth you checking out.

Sorry I haven't really answered your question!

Lindsay x
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

desperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of lightdesperatehousewife is a glorious beacon of light

No worries, it said the same when I priced them online, it wasn't till I spoke to an agent that I found out about the stop it might be worth giving one of them a ring as they can give you more details on the flights. We ended up using trailfinders, they worked out cheaper in the end than booking direct
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:49 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

No worries, it said the same when I priced them online, it wasn't till I spoke to an agent that I found out about the stop it might be worth giving one of them a ring as they can give you more details on the flights. We ended up using trailfinders, they worked out cheaper in the end than booking direct
All flights to Aus will have a stop over for at least an hour for change of crew at roughly the mid point of the flight. You can't expect the crew and pilot to work 20+ hours.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by theotherphil
All flights to Aus will have a stop over for at least an hour for change of crew at roughly the mid point of the flight. You can't expect the crew and pilot to work 20+ hours.
I know that! The singapore stop is additional to the main Dubai stopover!

Lindsay x
Old Mar 13th 2009, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

theotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nicetheotherphil is just really nice

I know that! The singapore stop is additional to the main Dubai stopover!

Lindsay x
Sorry, I meant to uncheck "quote message in reply" when performing that last "Quick reply".

It wasn't meant to have your post quoted
Old Mar 13th 2009, 4:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Old Mar 13th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

NELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of lightNELBHOY is a glorious beacon of light

Hi,
As regards seat pitch there isn't much in it. With regard to size & the chance to stretch your legs, I would go for the A380 as it is the much bigger aircraft. I'm an Aircraft Engineer at GLA & see the Emirates 777 quite often. It dwarfs most of the other aircraft here, but the A380 is another kettle of fish!!!

Hope that helps.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

RCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud ofRCoight has much to be proud of

I'm sure you can get off at Singapore on the Dubai - Aus route with Emirates. I always get off and rush over to the free Samsung internet terminals dotted round the terminal.
Old Mar 13th 2009, 10:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

I don't know for sure whether you can get off or not, I was told though that on the particular flight we were looking at you couldn't. With a husband whos a smoker I think for him that would be torture, which in turn means no fun for me and the kids either!

I'd be interested to find out though

Lindsay x
Old Mar 13th 2009, 11:33 pm
Sunny Sydney

herrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond reputeherrchook has a reputation beyond repute

We've done the Mel-GLW return trip a few times recently with Emirates. Here's what we have found.....

You CAN go direct from Melbourne to Dubai without going near Singapore.

Til now, we've always taken the flight option which goes via Singapore. On the way to Glasgow, we never have to get off the plane. On the return leg, for some reason, we are always made to get off. Pointless really, other than to stretch the legs and get a clean toilet. We prefer to stay on board and use the empty seats for an hours kip.

However, for our next trip in July, we are taking the route that is direct from Melbourne to Dubai with no stop in Singapore. It means a very late night on the initial leg (something like 3am Melbourne time which is why we've always avoided it before). This option is approx 2 hours less flying and we're hoping that the kids will sleep a good bit of the way to Dubai.

As for the OP's OH. I have no idea about the A380 but on the other aircraft, there are usually a fair few seats near the back which are just 2 together and the aisle there is also quite a bit wider. That might be a good place for someone tall to sit.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:30 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by theotherphil

I think they were talking about the extra stop between Dubai and Australia, which is usually Singapore, although I think Emirates are slowly trying to phase out the extra stop, as we are flying Brisbane - Gatwick, via Singapore and Dubai on the way over in April and Gatwick - Dubai and straight back to Brisbane on the way back. I was actually looking forward to the extra stop on the way back as 14 hours on an aircraft is a long time. It was nice to have the 3 x 7 hour sectors.
Old Mar 14th 2009, 3:33 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RCoight
I'm sure you can get off at Singapore on the Dubai - Aus route with Emirates. I always get off and rush over to the free Samsung internet terminals dotted round the terminal.
I think you have to get off these days, so the ground crew can board and clean the aircraft and re-cater without passengers getting in the way.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.