emirates

Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute
Default emirates

Myself and family are coming out on a future recky end of Feb to Perth and are flying out from Birmingham with Emirates just been speaking to some friends who flew with them last year and have really put me off.I realise that it is just there opinion but has anyone else got any info or advice.We have one young child and really are dreading the flight.
We did want to fly with Singapore but prices and flight times put us off.Also further to travel before we get to the airport.
Any reasurrance would be good or honest opinions.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all
Default Re: emirates

Originally Posted by Dreamaway 10
Myself and family are coming out on a future recky end of Feb to Perth and are flying out from Birmingham with Emirates just been speaking to some friends who flew with them last year and have really put me off.I realise that it is just there opinion but has anyone else got any info or advice.We have one young child and really are dreading the flight.
We did want to fly with Singapore but prices and flight times put us off.Also further to travel before we get to the airport.
We flew with them and the flight was good. The food was not bad for airline food but I did find the ground staff to be very rude. The cabin crew were great though.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Dreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond reputeDreamaway 10 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debsy
We flew with them and the flight was good. The food was not bad for airline food but I did find the ground staff to be very rude. The cabin crew were great though.
Thanks Debsey did you find you were cramped in economy?
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:55 pm
Tribu dei Chihuahua

squeezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud ofsqueezzii has much to be proud of
Smile Re: emirates

I have flown with many airlines (I used to work for a tour operator) and emirates are fairly well regarded in the trade.There is no doubt that all airlines fly the odd duff'un every so often even the top airlines or ones you would expect more from.Speak to the airline direct (if you can) or go to who you booked the flights with and speak to them about your concerns about your child-insist they try to reserve some seats if you can,though the abilty to book seats often depends on the fare you paid (did you get a cheapie or pay full whack)and that will apply to most airlines! I am sure it will be fine on emirates! I never had any probs with them.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

yonk is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by squeezzii
I have flown with many airlines (I used to work for a tour operator) and emirates are fairly well regarded in the trade.There is no doubt that all airlines fly the odd duff'un every so often even the top airlines or ones you would expect more from.Speak to the airline direct (if you can) or go to who you booked the flights with and speak to them about your concerns about your child-insist they try to reserve some seats if you can,though the abilty to book seats often depends on the fare you paid (did you get a cheapie or pay full whack)and that will apply to most airlines! I am sure it will be fine on emirates! I never had any probs with them.
We had a great flight with them last year and are looking forward to our trip in April. There was a thread on here a while back discussing this with lots of people saying good things about them plus lots of other comparisons. Food and staff were good - I even got a cuddly toy!

Their seats are ok unless (as I did) you get the fixed bulkhead seats in which case they are quite a tight squeeze if you have a fuller figure!

I even went and swam & showered at Dubai airport so it was as pleasant as a 24hr flight can be.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Teresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the roughTeresa is a jewel in the rough

Hi

We flew with them a couple of years ago when Oliver was 2 and they were fab with him, we took his car seat and he slept well in it. Leg room was ok, same as majority of other airlines I've flown with, think its even a few inches more and every inch counts!!! We flew Singapore this year and they were good but not that much better, not as good as 6 years ago anyway, so just to put you're mind at rest, advised my Mum and Dad to fly with emirates for ease and more direct route to Perth. Having travelled with alot of airlines, my opinion is that pretty much on most of the well known ones, economy is much of a muchness. Take plenty to keep the little one occupied and some of your own food and water, saves waiting for them to finally get to you

Teresa
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

We've used Emirates from Manchester to Melbourne 4 or 5 times and last year flew from Glasgow (I think they started up Birmingham flights at the same time). We've had no problems with them at all - food and in-flight entertainment above average, never had a problem with ground or cabin staff, luggage arrived safely every time, they give out entertainment packs to children, seat pitch is better than average (but seat width isn't so anyone who is umm large may have a problem). We've checked in early and always been able to get our seat request and as someone said you might be able to do this in advance with the airline (it's a good idea with any airline to re-confirm your flights at least 3 days before with the airline and make a seat request then, there's also less chance of being 'bumped' if the flight has been overbooked).

Emirates have feeder flights from 4 or 5 UK airports to Dubai on Airbus planes with 2-4-2 configuration and then to Australia it is on Boeing ('Jumbos') with 3-4-3 config, might even be 5 in the middle but we always go for aisle seats and never the window when there are 3 seats).

Obviously some who have flown Emirates can tell stories of lost luggage, rude staff somewhere (ground staff are often not employed directly by the airline anyway) etc but it hasn't been our experience in 5 or 6 flights and they win enough awards too.

Good luck, I'm sure you'll be OK.

OzTennis
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tahnks guys your advice is much appreciated.!!!!!!
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:16 pm
Forum Regular

MarkO'G is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

We are booked on emirates when we fly out on a reccy to Melbourne in May and back out from Brisbane. Good idea to give the airline a call. We phoned and enquired about travelling with our 14 month old son. We were given our seat numbers and have been allocated seats which have room for a Bassinet (small cot for our son to sleep in), on all legs of the journey. We also have a little extra legroom because of where the seats with the bassinet are.

The only bad reports I have heard is about the unfriendly nature of the groundstaff in Dubai. Apart from that, they have an excellent reputation.

Cheers

Mark
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:22 pm
Prisoner of Her Majesty

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Think Bundy and I have had the worst flights with Emirates - she had lost luggage; I had rude and abusive staff - both on the ground and in the air (and yes, the ground staff were Emirates staff m LHR and DXB). Iys on here several times, so I won't bore by typing it all again!

Balance of opinion seems to be their favour, but personally I rank them alongside the likes of Korean and would need very good incentives to step on board again.
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:35 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Debsey did you find you were cramped in economy?
They are no more cramped than Singapore would be.

They both have a 32" pitch.

Malaysian and Air NZ both have 34" so you would have more room.

Singapore are pretty average I think. I do not know how they got such a good reputation.

G
Old Jan 17th 2005, 2:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond reputeOzTennis has a reputation beyond repute

Another small but important point - on your flight into Dubai either way it will tell you just before landing which gate your connecting flight will leave from. Go through the transit lounge where your hand luggage and boarding pass will be inspected and into the duty free area and from there to your gate (change a watch to local time and keep an eye on the boards for 'boarding'. Dubai Duty Free has to be one of the best in the world and unlike many others (eg Singapore) seems to be fully operational all day and it doesn't seem to matter when you land.

Having said all the above we are going Malaysia this year because we couldn't get Emirates cheapies on the day we want to fly out (but got £470 return inc tax with Malaysia). Any comments on Malaysia folks?

OzTennis
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:14 pm
Professional Princess

Check out this website, www.statravel.co.uk

Flights to perth are from £429 travelling between March to June so if you're prepared to slightly alter your travel date, you get a good deal. Its with Malaysian airlines (I think).

The number is 0870 160 5514.

I have also heard Singapore Airlines is very good too.

Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:24 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OzTennis

Having said all the above we are going Malaysia this year because we couldn't get Emirates cheapies on the day we want to fly out (but got £470 return inc tax with Malaysia). Any comments on Malaysia folks?

OzTennis
In my opinion Malaysian are better than Singapore.

I have travelled with both several times.

Malaysian have far more legroom and similar service to Singapore.
Also if you travel from Manchester at the right time of year the plane will be half empty so you sould get a couple of seats to yourself.

They also do cheap stopover holidays in Penang or Langkawi if you choose.

G
Old Jan 17th 2005, 4:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OzTennis
Another small but important point - on your flight into Dubai either way it will tell you just before landing which gate your connecting flight will leave from. Go through the transit lounge where your hand luggage and boarding pass will be inspected and into the duty free area and from there to your gate (change a watch to local time and keep an eye on the boards for 'boarding'. Dubai Duty Free has to be one of the best in the world and unlike many others (eg Singapore) seems to be fully operational all day and it doesn't seem to matter when you land.

OzTennis
Thanks Oz "Dubai has one of the best duty free in the world" Great I shall have to check that out.
I will just have to make sure I do not get carried away and miss the connecting flight then!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.