Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigratting To Toowoomba Near Brisbane

Emigratting To Toowoomba Near Brisbane

Old Jul 17th 2004, 7:39 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Emigratting To Toowoomba Near Brisbane

EMIGRATING TO TOOWOOMBA NEAR BRISBANE IN SEPTEMBER, WOULD APPRECIATE ANY VIEWS, COMMENTS, INFO. FEELING A LITTLE NERVOUS, EVERYTHING IS SOLD INCLUDING HOUSE JUST WAITING FOR FLIGHT............................................ ......
Old Jul 17th 2004, 10:50 pm
I'm lovin' it

chippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to allchippy is a name known to all
Default Re: Emigratting To Toowoomba Near Brisbane

Originally posted by graceyg
EMIGRATING TO TOOWOOMBA NEAR BRISBANE IN SEPTEMBER, WOULD APPRECIATE ANY VIEWS, COMMENTS, INFO. FEELING A LITTLE NERVOUS, EVERYTHING IS SOLD INCLUDING HOUSE JUST WAITING FOR FLIGHT............................................ ......
Was up there yesterday visiting sister-in-laws parents.

It's considerably cooler, that's for sure. It's got a small town feel compared to Brisbane. Don't know what the employment prospects are? A pleasant enough place though.

What brings you to Toowoomba out of interest?
Old Jul 18th 2004, 12:42 am
Home at last

callé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond reputecallé has a reputation beyond repute

hi. I have been looking at toowoomba lately. we wanted to head close to brissy but beacause of the points being raised we have to look regional for the new visa. it seems really nice from what I have found out so far. and here is a website to some good photos of the area. www.tmbamall.com. hope it gives you some more info.
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

Sharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant futureSharpy67 has a brilliant future

Forecast Minimums for this week for Ipswich and Toowoomba are for -4............cold!
Old Jul 18th 2004, 9:26 pm
Graceyg

graceyg is an unknown quantity at this point

Husband has got a job in Toowoomba, so we are heading there for that! Also we are looking forward to it as it is a quite big town and as I am from Manchester I still need to shop! tehe!

Any more info would be appreciated!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:40 am
Just Joined

Buster is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi graceyb,

Toowoomba's a nice town, infact my partner and I are toying with the idea of moving there in the not so distant future. Its quite a green place with lots of parks and nice tree lined streets which makes a nice change to the surrounding area which gets quite dry as you get further out west. It has a country feel about it but still has the shops/services of city living as well as only being about 90 min drive to Brisbane.

The climate is cooler than the coast and not as humid which you'll be glad about when in the height of summer but it does get a tad chilly in winter and because of the town being on a range it gets a bit foggy too.

I can't think of anything else to say about the place but if you want any specific info then let me know.

Buster.
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:49 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

Toowoomba is a nice place, my sister lives about 30 mins from there. we have been there several times.
Great parks, reasonable shops (not like UK though)
It gets a lot cooler than Brisbane, espeacially in winter when temps often drop below zero, believe it or not.
My sister, says the major drawback is distance to Brisbane (90 mins+), beaches (150mins+) etc. But the highway to Brisbane is good.

Ipswich on the way to Brisbane has a couple of parks, but in my opinion is a bit of a dump.

GOOD LUCK

PJ
Old Jul 19th 2004, 7:53 am
Forum Regular

paddythepilot will become famous soon enoughpaddythepilot will become famous soon enough

My Wife completed her degree at the University of Southern Queensland, (USQ), which is in Toowoomba, so we know it reasonably well.

Quite a nice place, but frankly........very quiet!

There isn't much to do on a Saturday night thats for sure, having said that, if you are looking for peace and quiet, friendly people and that 'country town' feeling......Toowoomba is the place!

By the way, Toowoomba isn' that far away from Brizzy, (1.5 hours), so you can go away for the weekend, but probably not for the evening.

Good luck!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:07 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

okies you asked for an opinion...

i personally dont like toowoomba, its like the streets of sanfransisico set up in the clouds, its cool very quiet and has a six fingered feel about it. I have friends up their and they like it, but not my idyl.

The views are outstanding from up their, and the 1 way system around the town gets on ya proverbials.

The drive up is fun !!!

I preferred Gatton myself.

Just my opinion
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:09 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
okies you asked for an opinion...

i personally dont like toowoomba, its like the streets of sanfransisico set up in the clouds, its cool very quiet and has a six fingered feel about it. I have friends up their and they like it, but not my idyl.

The views are outstanding from up their, and the 1 way system around the town gets on ya proverbials.

The drive up is fun !!!

I preferred Gatton myself.

Just my opinion
Yup I like Gatton to, my sister lives nearby at Mt Tarampa.

PJ
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:12 am
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Jacko1
Yup I like Gatton to, my sister lives nearby at Mt Tarampa.

PJ
Gatton has that DUKES OF HAZARD feel, i loved it , wife hated it ! sheesh...
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:13 am
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally posted by Timber Floor Au
Gatton has that DUKES OF HAZARD feel, i loved it , wife hated it ! sheesh...

So does Mt Tarampa, if you see more than two cars aday something major is going down!!!
Old Jul 19th 2004, 8:16 am
CPW
BE Enthusiast

CPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond reputeCPW has a reputation beyond repute

I'd say you're very lucky, compared to some, anyway. Toowoomba is a nice town - relatively quiet, that's true, but also relatively un-humid compared with Brisbane. I always think that Toowoomba has a feel of relaxed, understated, long-term prosperity - perhaps a bit like the centre of a place like Hereford in that way (and in that way alone!).

It's great driving on a summer's day from Brisbane to Toowoomba and feeling the air get fresher as the car climbs away from the coastal plains, and then seeing the outskirts of Toowoomba teetering on the edge of the range when you've nearly reached the top!