Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigration: Where to start!?

Emigration: Where to start!?

Old May 28th 2013, 4:48 pm
Just Joined

Stephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really nice
Red face Emigration: Where to start!?

Okay so here I am think this forum would be mega helpful and become my own personal satNAV to emigration. Instead I am flicking from topic to topic and getting more things added to my list of 'Things I need to checkout or/and learn about before I even think about renewing my passport'

Okay so a few things I need directions to:
LOCATION: I know I'd prefer NSW, but where exactly...I have no clue. None. I have family friends in New Zealand but I know no one who has moved to Australia so I have no one to ask. Brisbane sounds nice, I have heard that for newly qualified nurses getting a job is easy since I will be expecting to go into a low paid job anyway and those are the kinds of jobs on offer. It remains to be seen.

VISA: Oh my just typing that would and I am reaching for a stiff drink (no ice!) I can't make heads or tails of what I am supposed to be applying for with visas.

LIVING: I'd be renting for sure, at least for the first few years since I am sure I can not just move over and buy a house straight away. Not only housing but health; I have no idea of the price of medical care, will I get automatic cover from any job I have? Do I have to buy my own cover? Will it be more because I am not a Australian citizen?

SOCIAL LIFE: Going over on my own I will know nobody. Not one face will seem familiar (once I get out of the airport anyway) Will I be the lone lady? Are people really as friendly as I am lead to believe? Will I feel as isolated as I fear I might be?

This is only the tip of the iceberg, and I am hoping someone with experience can give me clear directions on how to get of this roundabout and onto the right slip-road.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:31 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigration: Where to start!?

first off sort out the visa eligibility and costs, see if you can afford it visas aren't cheap
Old May 28th 2013, 5:33 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stephia-Lewis
VISA: Oh my just typing that would and I am reaching for a stiff drink (no ice!) I can't make heads or tails of what I am supposed to be applying for with visas.
Post in the Immigration forum here http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=32 with details of your skills and work history and people there will help you out with visa stuff.

Also have a read of http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/
Old May 28th 2013, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Stephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really niceStephia-Lewis is just really nice

Originally Posted by asher
first off sort out the visa eligibility and costs, see if you can afford it visas aren't cheap
I have checked my eligibility and I am good to go. That was one of the first things I did before I started worrying about anything else.
Well technically, when I have qualified in two years I will be set to go
Do I still need to do the English tests even though I still have my GCSE certs and I am doing a degree? Surely the degree is proof enough of my competency?

That is another issue, costs. It is just a one off payment right?
-
Well I am not really at the visa stage just yet to be honest, I know I will be eligible when I have my degree all I need is suggestions for what visa to apply for when the time comes.
I'm more focused on finding out a bit more about general life in Oz really; for now

Last edited by Stephia-Lewis; May 28th 2013 at 5:43 pm.
Old May 28th 2013, 7:26 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

I have checked my eligibility and I am good to go. That was one of the first things I did before I started worrying about anything else.
Well technically, when I have qualified in two years I will be set to go
Do I still need to do the English tests even though I still have my GCSE certs and I am doing a degree? Surely the degree is proof enough of my competency?

That is another issue, costs. It is just a one off payment right?
-
Well I am not really at the visa stage just yet to be honest, I know I will be eligible when I have my degree all I need is suggestions for what visa to apply for when the time comes.
I'm more focused on finding out a bit more about general life in Oz really; for now
Thats the sort of question that the Immigrationforum can help you with. Some people need the IELTS test for points, some need it for their skills assessment, depends on what skill and which visa!
Not sure what you mean by a one-off payment - there are lots of payments involved - visa, medical, police checks......

Also, be aware that things can change a lot in a couple of years so keep your eyes on the rules.
Old May 28th 2013, 11:19 pm

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are jumping the gun slightly, concentrate on your degree and when you have completed it look then. Nurses are not in such short supply in some areas now and that may change even more by the time you are ready to come over, so don't set your sights on any particular area.

research a bit more about the costs, visas and how to register here.

Good luck with your studies
Old May 29th 2013, 3:42 pm
Just Joined

I agree, now I am not planning to apply for any graduate programs I have more time, an extra year in fact that I can use to gather information and find my direction.

I have decided for now to just research different areas, get some information of anyone who has already moved from the UK, and hopefully attend one of the get together's...Where I plan to pick people brains on what I really need to know before I attempt this.

Thank you for the links earlier, the rough guide has already been printed off and stuck on the wall before my desk.
Old May 30th 2013, 10:59 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I think you are a long way yet. You are still doing a degree. Are you certain that is on the skills list? Then you will need some years in the occupation in order to satisfy the skills requirement. It is no good just doing a degree. Oz has it's fair share of unemployed grads.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:17 pm
Just Joined

I know, but that won't stop me from researching. I need to know more in order to know what kind of job I should apply for when I graduate (temp or prem)

I know enough to know not to expect a job to be offer right away; I am not so naive. But I want to learn more about moving over. I want to hear other people stories; the successes and the fails because it will help me make my choices when I am ready to.

Are you in Australia now? Dawesville? Thats Western Australia right? Would you mind telling me a bit about it? The area as a whole and possibly your own experiences there.
Old May 30th 2013, 4:26 pm
Banned

moversgl is an unknown quantity at this point

Visa Eligibility
Old May 30th 2013, 5:07 pm
Just Joined

Already been there, done it. Got a score and I guess you could say I passed.

I did that before I even bothered joining this site, as logic demands
Maybe I named this topic the wrong thing...I should try and change it to 'Got the right points so a visa is a possibility; what now?'
Old May 30th 2013, 6:48 pm
Home and Happy

Maybe I named this topic the wrong thing...I should try and change it to 'Got the right points so a visa is a possibility; what now?'
Actually you wouldn't believe the number of people who don't check eligibility first
Old May 30th 2013, 11:41 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

You may have the points now, but will you when you're done your degree? A lot of things can change in a couple of years
Old May 31st 2013, 1:44 pm
Just Joined

Indeed which is why I am not really looking for people to go on and on about checking my eligibility; I just want a bit of information from the people who have been there about where to look to housing, if I should rent or try to buy, social life, good bars even. You know?
Old May 31st 2013, 2:10 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Indeed which is why I am not really looking for people to go on and on about checking my eligibility; I just want a bit of information from the people who have been there about where to look to housing, if I should rent or try to buy, social life, good bars even. You know?
Brisbane is QLD not NSW and QLD have been laying off lots of people. Most people rent as housing is quite expensive - Adelaide is one of the cheapest places to live (one of the reasons I chose it) - cheap houses to buy would be $200k+. Someone else will be able to tell you about deposits, legal fees and stamp duty etc - I was told it's best to have around 20% deposit. Social life and good bars would depend on where you are and what you like to do, and how much money you bring with you or if you manage to secure a job.

If your looking for places to work, you could try the nurses forum, but whatever you think of your eligibility, you do need to regularly check for changes to the rules. I started looking in 2009 when I would have got points for my occupation, by the time I was ready and I was applying for skills assessment the rules had changes, and I had to do IELTS to get enough points. I got my visa last year, and on 1st July they changed the rules againand you now have to be invited to apply.

They also changed the rules on licensing for my trade, and the new rules require me to keep a log book and work supervised, but trying to find an employer to hire you is not easy so it's catch 22 - you need an employer to get licensed, but you can't get someone to employ you in most cases without a license. I have been in Australia for nearly 2 months, applied for numerous jobs but only got 1 interview which I wasn't successful on.

You're right to do research, but don't reject good advice because it's not what you want to hear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.