Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating AND pregnant with twins @ 28 weeks! Advice please?

Emigrating AND pregnant with twins @ 28 weeks! Advice please?

Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:01 am
Just Joined

1_scottish_girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating AND pregnant with twins @ 28 weeks! Advice please?

Hi,

Hope someone has the time to give some advice?

I am emigrating on the 12th Feb 2012 to Perth

At that time I will be 28 nearly 29 weeks pregnant with twins. I have received a letter to fly from hospital so all ok there!

However what do I do when I get to Perth in terms of hospitals and doctors?
My dh is already in Perth due to work commitments, he is an Oz citizen. So I will be travelling with my 14yr son.

Any advice on travelling or on what I should do on arrival would be magic!

Any twin clubs or twin parenting classes etc. that I should ask for or join?

Thanks
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:30 am
BE Enthusiast

James516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud ofJames516 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emigrating AND pregnant with twins @ 28 weeks! Advice please?

What visa are you on? Presumably a 100/309, in which case you're entitled to Medicare from day 1. I'm not in Perth but best to find out which public maternity hospital has the best reputation and book in from the UK now. You probably won't be able to afford private as you won't have private health insurance that covers obstetrics (1 year wait).

Plan how you are going to spend the massive amounts of baby bonus money you'll be getting
Old Feb 1st 2012, 3:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't help you with maternity care in Oz as I'm in NZ but as far as the flight is concerned, I'm sure you've been told to wear firm support stockings (Maybe worth you getting hold of some Teds stockings), drink plenty of water & get up & walk around every couple of hours at least.

You will probably know that women are at increased risk of having a DVT in pregnancy, add to that the increased risk of DVT from a long flight & therefore you need to take every precaution you can.

Have a good flight & have a happy delivery
Old Feb 1st 2012, 7:35 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1_scottish_girl
Hi,

At that time I will be 28 nearly 29 weeks pregnant with twins. I have received a letter to fly from hospital so all ok there!

My dh is already in Perth due to work commitments, he is an Oz citizen. So I will be travelling with my 14yr son.

Thanks
Hi, we have twins!

All the info you need can be found at www.amba.org.au including a very helpful twin forum.

BB
Old Feb 1st 2012, 5:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Thanks
Hi, wow, twins! I assume you've got clearance from your dr to fly and you've made sure the airline is ok with it? They don't usually question it until after 30 weeks, but not sure if its different with twins as they can often be born earlier.

Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip.
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 12:40 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Hi, wow, twins! I assume you've got clearance from your dr to fly and you've made sure the airline is ok with it? They don't usually question it until after 30 weeks, but not sure if its different with twins as they can often be born earlier.

Hope you have a safe and uneventful trip.
Hi,

Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Kiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond reputeKiwikaye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by moneypenny20
Oops, obviously missed that - sorry!
Old Feb 2nd 2012, 1:01 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwikaye
Oops, obviously missed that - sorry!