Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car

Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car

Old Aug 6th 2004, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Talking Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car

Can anyone give me some websites or contact details for companies based in Oz that do the conversion from UK to Oz spec, the car is a jaguar XJR.

Old Aug 6th 2004, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

Thrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant futureThrud has a brilliant future
Default A little help please

Attached an image of my cool car, can anyone help with conversion to Ozz spec??
Attached Thumbnails Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car-thruds-car.jpg  
Old Aug 6th 2004, 10:39 pm
o_0

Peter will become famous soon enough

Jaguars in Australia? Here's your conversion spec.
Attached Thumbnails Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car-patrolcar2.jpg  
Old Aug 8th 2004, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Default Re: Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car

Looks a bad smash, I hear for the import test they throw mud on the windscreen and see if the wash wipes clean it quick enough, guess this guys didn't
Old Aug 8th 2004, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Maybe I should change my car to a lowr spec to take in the Aussie roads.

Attached Thumbnails Emigrating to Oz and looking to take my car-85benz.jpg  
Old Aug 8th 2004, 5:54 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Thrud
Can anyone give me some websites or contact details for companies based in Oz that do the conversion from UK to Oz spec, the car is a jaguar XJR.

We used Downunder Auto Servicesto do our conversion work (Germany to OZ), but the regs are slightly different in each state (eg. WA doesnt insist on the LHR -> RHD conversion thank god but NSW does), so if you're not coming to WA the best thing is probably to contact them and ask for them to recommend an equivalent company in the state you are heading to. Check their website http://www.downunderauto.com.au/main.htmL for contact details.

My ex company paid for our car to be shipped down as part of my relocation package but the hassle factor of the compliance work and inspections was huge, and it was 8 weeks from the point the container arrived to when we actually had our car sitting in the driveway.

I would honestly think v.carefully before you bring a car down.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

It seems a long wait especially if you need the car to get around, I am trying to get a quote of the company you listed, Thanks.
Old Aug 9th 2004, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mairi&Chris
We used Downunder Auto Servicesto do our conversion work (Germany to OZ), but the regs are slightly different in each state (eg. WA doesnt insist on the LHR -> RHD conversion thank god but NSW does), so if you're not coming to WA the best thing is probably to contact them and ask for them to recommend an equivalent company in the state you are heading to. Check their website http://www.downunderauto.com.au/main.htmL for contact details.

My ex company paid for our car to be shipped down as part of my relocation package but the hassle factor of the compliance work and inspections was huge, and it was 8 weeks from the point the container arrived to when we actually had our car sitting in the driveway.

I would honestly think v.carefully before you bring a car down.

Thanks for the tip, have you ever been to York, I hear its nice?
Old Aug 9th 2004, 7:02 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Jacko1 will become famous soon enough

I would not bother, its a load of hassle for a car that will not be worth a lot when you come to sell it in Aus due to its import status.

We were going to take Top of the range Merc until we found out that it would cost at least £9K to take it! (Duty, luxury car tax, GST, etc etc)

Paul J
Old Aug 9th 2004, 8:09 pm
Forum Regular

laverda is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok Ive searched hard, i am looking to take my motorbike to oz and same as a car needs all these tests to be run...i havnet found anywhere yet that explains what ive to do for a bike..enough for cars and so on, would you mind letting me know who you are going through so i can contact them and see if they can shed any light on it for me?
cheers in advance its appreciated.
Old Aug 15th 2004, 8:12 am
Forum Regular

I am trying to get a quote for the uk to oz conversion but cannot seem to get one anyone got some alternative garges.

Cheers
Old Aug 15th 2004, 10:32 am
Go Banana's !!

Originally Posted by Jacko1
I would not bother, its a load of hassle for a car that will not be worth a lot when you come to sell it in Aus due to its import status.

We were going to take Top of the range Merc until we found out that it would cost at least £9K to take it! (Duty, luxury car tax, GST, etc etc)

Paul J

Was in exactly the same boat and decided not to bother, but miss my baby terribly, I mean I even dream about it!!!!! Saw the exact same model today and felt sick with longing. I could have wept

Bring just to let me sit in it

Jill

Old Aug 15th 2004, 6:17 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

Originally Posted by Go Banana's !!
Was in exactly the same boat and decided not to bother, but miss my baby terribly, I mean I even dream about it!!!!! Saw the exact same model today and felt sick with longing. I could have wept

Bring just to let me sit in it

Jill

WHAT WAS YOURS?

PJ
Old Sep 18th 2004, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

I have done some research and it appears that the import duty is based on the UK sale value of the car, so keep those receipts.
Old Sep 18th 2004, 6:12 pm
Down Under and Lovin It

I have done some research and it appears that the import duty is based on the UK sale value of the car, so keep those receipts.

Only if Customs feel that reciepts are a genuine reflection of the car's value!!