Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating: one-way flights, baggage allowance and upgrades

Emigrating: one-way flights, baggage allowance and upgrades

Old Apr 17th 2005, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future
Lightbulb Emigrating: one-way flights, baggage allowance and upgrades

We will be living with my family for the first few months in Oz, so will be storing our shipped belongings until they're needed. Therefore we need to take enough stuff on the plane to survive for a good few months in Oz.

Can anyone help with the following?:

a) Has anyone received a greater baggage allowance when flying to Australia because they were emigrating?

b) I'm not technically emigrating myself as I've only lived in the UK for 6 years - does this make a difference?

c) I've also heard some airlines may upgrade you to business class for free/cheap if you're flying one-way/emigrating. This happened to an ex-colleague of mine when flying with BA apparently. Has this happened to anyone else?

d) We're considering flying via the USA with Air NZ as the baggage allowance is doubled. We would have to fly via Auckland, so would the allowance apply to that leg?

Any advice you can provide would be fantastic!
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:12 pm
Superfreak!!

Stormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to allStormz is a name known to all
Default Re: Emigrating: one-way flights, baggage allowance and upgrades

a) not with Malaysian. They and various others used to allow more for emigre`s, but not anymore. They may allow us a few more kg when we check in, but no more and even that`s not guaranteed. Malaysian = 20kg each btw, and 10kg for infant. Child fare would also be 20kg.

b) no. If you say you`re emigrating and have a 1-way ticket then np. We`re from Aus ourselves and going back in June.

c) nope, never heard of that before.

d) It should apply to the whole flight surely? What`s the point of having 40kg luggage each until NZ, where you have to leave 20kg behind?
Old Apr 17th 2005, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

chr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura aboutchr1sarter has a spectacular aura about

You can get an increased allowance from Singapore airlines if emmigrating. 40Kg if your passport shows you are emmigrating from this country. If you are just returning, then i fear the answer is no.

Chris
Old Apr 18th 2005, 3:34 am
Prisoner of Her Majesty

samnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud ofsamnrob2 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Briz-chick
We will be living with my family for the first few months in Oz, so will be storing our shipped belongings until they're needed. Therefore we need to take enough stuff on the plane to survive for a good few months in Oz.

Can anyone help with the following?:

a) Has anyone received a greater baggage allowance when flying to Australia because they were emigrating?

b) I'm not technically emigrating myself as I've only lived in the UK for 6 years - does this make a difference?

c) I've also heard some airlines may upgrade you to business class for free/cheap if you're flying one-way/emigrating. This happened to an ex-colleague of mine when flying with BA apparently. Has this happened to anyone else?

d) We're considering flying via the USA with Air NZ as the baggage allowance is doubled. We would have to fly via Auckland, so would the allowance apply to that leg?

Any advice you can provide would be fantastic!
Answering all your questions in one go....

We flew BA to Los Angeles and then Qantas to Brisbane direct. Doesn't matter if you are emigrating or not you will get 64kg each. Immigration in US is not as bad as soom of the doomsayers will tell you on here. We had a 5 hour wait for our connection, so waiting in an immigration line for 2 hours wasn't an issue.

Upgrades - just be polite and ask (again, doesn't matter if you are emigrating). We asked and got an upgrade for the first leg of the flight.

Oh and another thing - our hand luggage wasn't weighed so we ended up taking about another 20kg on to the plane rather than the allocated 12 (2 x 6kg) although this was probably more through luck than anything.

Rob

p.s. Australia is the dogs bollocks
Old Apr 20th 2005, 8:43 pm
Forum Regular

Briz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant futureBriz-chick has a brilliant future

We booked our flights today with Air NZ. We get 64kg baggage each as we're going via LA. Thought we'd use the chance to have a bit of a holiday and stop over for 2 nights too!