Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating on my own- scary!

Emigrating on my own- scary!

Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:45 pm
Just Joined

Location: Newcastle upon tyne/Harrogate-- soon to be Townsville in July!
kookaburra_baby is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Emigrating on my own- scary!

Hi everyone,
this is my first post (so be nice . I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for emigrating to Aus on your own... my story in short; qualified as an Adult Nurse this march, no jobs to be found in the trust i trained at. So, i was (via telephone) interviewed and got offered a job in Townsville in November.

Got my ENS visa approved on wednesday, i'm absolutely over the moon! however, the actual magnitude of emigrating to the other side of the world has hit me. i'm dead nervous and thrilled at the same time.
I arranged a bank account etc a few months ago so things are sorted from that point of view, i fly out on the 5th of july, not long to go now! i will be staying in nurses accommodation for the first few months, until i get settled in and find my own place.

i really would appreciate any advice or tips, i.e. has anyone worked in Queensland (in the medical/nursing profession), or has anyone been in hospital in Aus- what was your experience of your stay there? and any insight into working conditions....
many thanks in advance
KB
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Emigrating on my own- scary!

Hi there
Congratulations - I presume you have not long qualified from your post. I wish I was in your position all over again. Still I am 20 years on now but still going but with hubby and three kids in tow.
I am sure you will have a fantastic time and I would not think of it as necessarily emigrating but taking the plunge - nothing needs to be permenant and you will have a blast as most nurses know have to have a great time out of work and you have a ready made social network too.
It might be worth posting on the nurses sub forum too.
There is lots of info on Queensland nursing on there too and I am sure you will find it useful. You are lucky in the respect that you have not long qualified so you have less to lose than us old timers. I am a band 7 at present and will have to start again. However this is not a career move for me so I am quite happy.
Take care.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 6:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry I can't answer any of your questions but welcome to BE, I've only been coming on here for a few months but have everyone to be really helpful and friendly and have managed to get lots of questions answered and have a giggle too
By the way, you might get some good responses if you go on the nurse forum on here.
Sammy
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:06 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: Emigrating on my own- scary!

Maisey, yes i have not long been qualified, couldn't find a job in ANY of the northern england nhs trusts however, i have been so fortunate to have been granted the amazing opportunity to nurse in Australia. how come you have to start at the "bottom of the ladder" ? thats such a shame, but i suppose you have to get used to their way; and Sammy T, thank you both for your help
i will indeed take a look at the nurses sub forum- thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
KB
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:14 pm
Loving it in SA

Katsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond reputeKatsmajics other half !!! has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kookaburra_baby
Maisey, yes i have not long been qualified, couldn't find a job in ANY of the northern england nhs trusts however, i have been so fortunate to have been granted the amazing opportunity to nurse in Australia. how come you have to start at the "bottom of the ladder" ? thats such a shame, but i suppose you have to get used to their way; and Sammy T, thank you both for your help
i will indeed take a look at the nurses sub forum- thanks for pointing me in the right direction!
KB
Welcome to the forum......... you will have a great time whilst you are here.....and you will not be on your own you will have all of us to help and support you......this place is GGGRRRREEEEAAAAATTTTTTT !!!!!
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Walshfamily is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We have friends who have recently emigrated to Townsville and working as a nurse at Townsville Hospital, they are loving it!....

They have been there just 7 weeks and already bought a house! Everything they say about the place has been positive!

Good luck.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 7:18 pm
Just Joined

Thank you, its good to know i've got support just sooo excited to get to Aus now!
and to the Walsh family, that is very encouraging to hear is your friend at the Mater Misericordiae hospital?
x
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

maisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to beholdmaisey is a splendid one to behold

Hi Kookabura baby
See everyone agrees with me you will have a ball - such an opportunity for you.
In answer to your question I am an ENP in UK but this is a role which is just being introduced in Oz and they want ENP's to have a masters which I do not have. It is a journey for me too but I plan to make the most of it. I have a friend in Brisbane who works as a midwife, I also have a paramedic working in Brisbane as a friend and they tell me things at behind the UK in attitude. My other mate who was an ENP over in UK is not even allowed to triage over there! and she has loads of experience. I do not mind it is a journey and I only plan to work part time as hubby is hopefully going to be the main breadwinner. It is always nice to have me to fall back on as they are always in need of nurses. Change is a good as a rest!
Shame about the NHS as it stands to lose those nurses of the future.
You'll have such a great time though, what a life experience it will be. The money I beleive will go a little further out there as well.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 8:24 pm
Visa granted member

Marcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to allMarcopolo is a name known to all

Morning.

I did exactly what you are doing 3 weeks tomorrow. I hadn't even been to Oz before. But so far, so good !! It is hard. No two ways about it. I managed to get a job after a few days which helped but finding somewhere to live took me until Wednesday this week. That was pretty stressful as it's my last day at where Im staying tomorrow. I thought I was going to be homeless .

I've met so many people who have offered to take me out (within a week of being here I went to a fancy dress party dressed as Dame Edna !!!) but as much as I've appreciated that I knew I wouldnt feel comfortable until I was in my own place and working and I am now.

But regardless of what's happened for me, I would do it without any fear. Be positive everyday because when things ar't going right, they will come good if you want it enough.

I'm that happy it makes me laugh.

If you want to chat or know anymore ask or drop me a p/m.

All the best,
Marc.
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

medwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of lightmedwaymark is a glorious beacon of light

How exciting! Wish I had done it whilst I was young free and single. I'm happy that I am going with my wife now, but I have spent many years wanting to go, but staying here for other people. As you get older, it gets harder to leave IMO. Fortunately, my wife is supporting me in this move
Old Jun 22nd 2007, 10:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

s-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond reputes-jmelbournewannabe has a reputation beyond repute

Go for it,,, got a mate in QLD, she is a nurse pm her... Glittababe.. She's dead nice and will help in any way she can...

Sorry for volunteering you Annie!! hope you dont mind!!

S-j xx
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 8:45 am
Just Joined

Thank you all for your help , i'm feeling a little better about the whole situation now! now the next hurdle i've got to deal with is my parents!lol. I'm the youngest of my siblings and left home 4 years ago to go to university. i've never been close to my mother, but now she is in denial that i'm going, whereas my dad is very supportive (mainly because he can't wait to visit Vineyards/wineries and watch the cricket!). I guess its hard for any parent to let go of their child; but everyone has their own path in life.
Anyway, thanks again! i will keep you updated on my progress.
KB
Old Jun 23rd 2007, 2:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to beholdOlias is a splendid one to behold

Hiya KB,

welcome!

I'm moving to Townsville with my wife (and dogs!) in a few months to go to Uni. Its a great place I've been a few times before. From previous posts I have seen there seem to be loads of ex-pats working in the hospitals in Townsville so it should make it easier for you to settle.

if you want to know anything about Townsville just PM me.

..By the way if you search Townsville on www.flickr.com there are thousand of photos to get you in the mood!

Olias
Old Jun 25th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

feefeefairy will become famous soon enough
Post Re: Emigrating on my own- scary!

Hi, sorry havent got any advice for u re the move...just wanted to say that i am a nurse who has just stared to look into working in aus, and i too will be going on my own! so i understand how u feel!
Im sure it will be a great move for u, have spent 4 yrs in the NHS trust me when i say that not being able to get a job here is a blessing in disguise. From the programs i have seen about nursing in aus, it looks far more civilized than anything u would find here!!!
Maybe u have some tips for me on where to start? im currently looking at some of the recruitment agencies on the web, but not sure if this is the best way to do it?
Did u get ur visa quickly? and if so ,was that because ur a nurse?
Anyway all the best
Fee x
Old Jun 25th 2007, 2:55 pm
Just Joined

Hi Fee,
thank you i have heard mixed reviews about recruitment agencies for nursing in Aus, however i can pass on some details for you about some hosps i applied for in Aus? where are you looking into going?

my visa took 3 weeks (bearing in mind you have to get lots of documents- which can take time and if they're copies they'll need to be certifed by a solicitor), its a permanent residence one. it was quite quick because my future employers sponsored me; and myself and my employers had an excellent e-mail relationship with my visa case officer.

I have heard most hospitals do sponsored visa's for nurses (ENS- employer nominated scheme is what they will be referred as). If you are applying for permanent residence (as opposed to temp) you will need a medical (including full blood screen) and chest X-ray. The cost varies, but the Doctor that does the actual medical sends off your paperwork for you- so thats all taken care of.
More over, and importantly!you must have applied for and received your Australian nursing registration before you apply for your visa; you will be registered for which ever part of Aus you're working in, i.e. Queensland board is called Queensland Nursing Council (QNC), i have heard that the Victoria nursing board processes applications quicker.... The nursing registration is the thing that takes the most time (up to 6 weeks), due to needing copies of proof qualification and verification of registration from the NMC.

If you need any more help regarding the nursing registration or visa process don't hesitate to PM me, its all fresh in my mind
KB

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.