Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating Alone

Emigrating Alone

Old May 18th 2015, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

trevnod is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrating Alone

Just wondered if anyone has migrated over by themselves? I am doing this in October and honestly, I am s**ting myself :-(

Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat as me and how they coped.....

Cheers
Old May 18th 2015, 12:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrating Alone

I moved over on my own. Didn't really give it any thought but i'm the type that will go to a concert or the cinema on my own as well.

You might find you thrive much better in the first few months, you can set your own direction and don't have any the compromises or worries of others to consider, plus you will be forced to interact.
Old May 18th 2015, 12:06 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks, any regrets? Plus points and bad?
Old May 18th 2015, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

Tr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond reputeTr1boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by trevnod
Thanks, any regrets? Plus points and bad?
Well I did it in the 80's so it was a different place then and hasn't changed for the better, but then few places have. Plus I've lived in 5 countries and generally take the rough with the smooth but since you asked, Oz is the place I get on with least. We have been in the UK for a few years but will move back to Oz the end of this year as we are a family now.

I'll just bookend it by saying plus, nice wide parking spaces, bad, TV. And there's a whole of inbetween.

Trouble with 'da net is that people list their pros and cons and that gives other pre conceived or 'forced ideas'. I think it was better when you didn't land in a country armed with a shedload of other people's experiences.

I wonder how we ever survived migrating all them years ago

But to answer your question, I regret aspects of it, as I do here, as I did in Colombia, US and Korea and the UK, and I can write a list of what I'm thankful for in each of those places as well.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Alborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to allAlborg is a name known to all

Just wondered if anyone has migrated over by themselves? I am doing this in October and honestly, I am s**ting myself :-(

Just wondered if anyone else was in the same boat as me and how they coped.....

Cheers
I'm heading over on my own in October as well, to Sydney. Can't say I have any sense of dread. Getting excited and really looking forward to it but I'm fairly well travelled and have travelled alone before.

Think of it this way it would be no different if you moved from one city to another in your own country. Concentrate on getting a place/job then start from there. Meet friends at work, join clubs, online social meet ups, internet dating etc. Before you know it you'll have a partner and a few friends to hang out with. But key is to be comfortable in your own company first, then making friends will be easier.

Last edited by Alborg; May 18th 2015 at 2:10 pm.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

All good advise guys, cheers.
Old May 18th 2015, 2:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yeah definitely get into the clubs of the things you are interested in. Where are you headed?
Old May 18th 2015, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

Looking like Perth but not 100% decided yet. And Tr1boy, I totally go to the cinema myself from time to time :-D
Old May 18th 2015, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Looking like Perth but not 100% decided yet. And Tr1boy, I totally go to the cinema myself from time to time :-D
Good man. Plenty of people in Perth on here to help you out. A good start would be telling us what you're into (sports, hobbies etc) might be some like minded folk here. I always find it useful because if you are talking about shared interests it can be easier than talking to people about a place you've only just arrived in. At least hobbies you're all talking about the same frame of reference.
Old May 19th 2015, 12:02 pm
Forum Regular

Perpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond reputePerpetual Tourist has a reputation beyond repute

I am moving to Melbourne on my own in December. Alborg's advice is very sound, and echoes my own views. It is definitely a bit daunting to leave your current network of friends and acquaintances behind, but hopefully also the start of an exciting adventure. And probably also a life experience that allows you to grow as a person.
Old May 20th 2015, 2:23 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

Wasn't there a nursing student that was asking if there were any men immigrating solo to Oz???
Old May 20th 2015, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Eh well I love to follow my football team (Rangers) and I know there's a supporters club there which I've been to. Also into my running and just generally going out on grand adventures 😁

As for the nursing student asking about guys migrating hmmm dunno what to say about that haha 😎
Old May 20th 2015, 10:16 am
Lost in the antipodes

msmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond reputemsmyrtle has a reputation beyond repute

As for the nursing student asking about guys migrating hmmm dunno what to say about that haha 😎
http://britishexpats.com/forum/immig...igrate-856856/

Old May 20th 2015, 10:31 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Trev, I'm probably old enough to be your mother, but if you're looking for just a coffee or beer I'm happy to meet up with you when you get to Perth. As much as I can come across as an almighty bitch on here I'm really quite nice in person.

Since my husband and I separated last year I've been going to lots of things through Meetup.com. I have done loads of really interesting things and gone to some really great places - 4 wheel driving with a group of strangers, a day in the southwest at Gnomesville (the pub after was way better!), drinks nights in the city, concerts, etc.
Old May 20th 2015, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

xizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond reputexizzles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Trev, I'm probably old enough to be your mother, but if you're looking for just a coffee or beer I'm happy to meet up with you when you get to Perth. As much as I can come across as an almighty bitch on here I'm really quite nice in person.
That should be incentive enough for Trev to haul his arse over to Perth right away!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.