Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrating with a 9-month-old

Emigrating with a 9-month-old

Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:47 am
BE Enthusiast

gelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud ofgelato has much to be proud of
Default Re: Emigrating with a 9-month-old

This thread is making me feel better. I'm flying by myself with my 2 kids who will be 7 months and 4 years old from Rome to Sydney next month to visit the family. Last time we flew, eldest was 2 and youngest didn't exist yet and it was pretty hellish. I think (hope!) it'll be a lot better at 4. And we're flying Singapore Airlines so I'm glad to read that the bassinets accomodate larger babies. I just hope my7 month old sleeps a bit. Thank God she's not crawling yet.
Old Jul 2nd 2012, 10:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gelato
This thread is making me feel better. I'm flying by myself with my 2 kids who will be 7 months and 4 years old from Rome to Sydney next month to visit the family. Last time we flew, eldest was 2 and youngest didn't exist yet and it was pretty hellish. I think (hope!) it'll be a lot better at 4. And we're flying Singapore Airlines so I'm glad to read that the bassinets accomodate larger babies. I just hope my7 month old sleeps a bit. Thank God she's not crawling yet.
Haha we're hoping ours won't be crawling either, however he will be 9 months when we travel and he is 'doing the worm' now... he has figured out that he can lift his bum and bring his knees up, just hasn't figured out that he has to us his arms and grip & push with his feet too. We've no chance have we?! Still, perhaps he'll find his way up to 1st class and we'll have an excuse to go get him!!
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Japonica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond reputeJaponica has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kronk
We took our 15 mth old and our 3 year old on a validation trip from UK to Oz, we flew with Singapore Airlines and the bassinets easily accommodated our 15mth old. We then flew again to Oz via the US when they were nearly 2 and 4. No probs at all, just keep them entertained. We're flying again this year back to UK but now with a nearly 6, nearly 4 and a 14mth old baby Not worried about the flight, kids are good, try and keep your bub in its routine as much as possible. I get the kids in their PJs, put the baby in its normal bedtime clothes/blanket. Also I found that using disposable bottles from Boots were really helpful, didn't have to worry about washing bottles out. If you are doing that, make sure your baby is ok with disposable bottles so try a few out before your flight. Night flights are also helpful.
We did our reccie with Singapore airlines when our son was 8 months old. Used the bassinet. Total bust. He wouldn't settle--when we put him in there, the overhead light basically shone in his eyes the whole time. Then to make it even better, SA has the policy that when they hit turbulence, the baby must be removed from the bassinet and held in the parent's lap. So, every time he was just nodding off--after hours of fussing--we'd get the seat belt sign on and have to take him out of the bassinet.

Next trip, we paid for his seat and brought his car seat. Much, much better.

Agree on night flights. Even if it means a longer lay over somewhere. Our last flight back to Canada from Perth meant a 14 hour lay over in Auckland, but also meant two night flights. The kids slept 6/7 hours on the first leg (it left at about 9pm) and about 9/13 hours on the second (also left about 8pm). Worth it.

For the OP: bring your own jarred babyfood for the flight. That way you can be sure it'll be a brand and variety your little one likes. We'd booked a "baby meal" with SA but they gave us a jar of strained carrots (huh) while our guy preferred those cereal/fruit blends and casseroles. He wouldn't have touched those carrots...who would We were doing a combo of BF and formula and the cabin crew were very good about washing out bottles for us and giving us warm water to mix the powder with. We just brought two glass bottles and formula powder with us (in a storage bag with scoop). No one gave us any hassle about it.

Also, extra diapers, wet wipes, all that stuff. Change of clothes for the baby and you as well. I forgot to pack a set for myself once and that was the flight my son (then 16 months old) knocked a full glass of ginger ale into my lap.

Last edited by Japonica; Jul 3rd 2012 at 1:05 am.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 1:41 am
Aussie Finn Mixture!

Location: Leschenault WA (after few locations around WA and Around Europe!)
teza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond reputeteza has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lucas_Dad
Lots of great tips. Thanks
Heating of bottle/food is something we had wondered about, so good idea getting him used to room temperature.
Am sure we have more questions, just don't know what they are yet!

Cheers
Flew long haul with a 3mth old, as for heating the bottle, asked crew to give us just boiling water instead of coffee or tea, pop bottle in the water for a minute or two, shake it and voila, same as microwave
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

bra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nicebra_boy is just really nice

Take-off and landing are stressful for kids due to change in cabin pressure (may cause discomfort or pain in ears). Try to stay calm if your child wails - the worst should be over in 5 minutes after takeoff.
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 12:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

eddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond reputeeddie007 has a reputation beyond repute

Ear plugs and the ability to look in disdain down your nose whilst pretending its NOT your child helps airplane travel in the early years....

We only did short plane trips when ours were that kind of age... Luckily they can be amused with relatively small number of toys..... Unforrunately plenty of human interaction is the answer... That and their own seat..as previously suggested....

A bottle (if it has one) to suck on for the ears on take off is a good idea...

I have friends whose child slept very well if ever given calpol.... They abused it to the max when they came out... Shocking...

Best advice... Forget about your own body clock and time differences ... Just concentrate on their needs for the flight and worry about that once youve arrived....
Old Jul 3rd 2012, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

naomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nicenaomilondon is just really nice

We are moving to Perth in Nov, went out in 2010 with our then 3 year old, he was great, watched movies and slept with his head on my lap and feet on my husband for hours!! He was brilliant with jet lag too.

In Nov we are flying with our now 6 year old, a 2 year old and 7 month old. I am dreading it!! I am planning to pack loads of snacks, and changes of clothes for all of us, am sure someones drink will get spilt or someone will puke or wee on me! At least you don't have a toilet training toddler to factor in too, although he is doing well now so hopefully will have it cracked by Nov!

Good luck hope you have an easy journey!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Lucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond reputeLucas_Dad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by naomilondon
We are moving to Perth in Nov, went out in 2010 with our then 3 year old, he was great, watched movies and slept with his head on my lap and feet on my husband for hours!! He was brilliant with jet lag too.

In Nov we are flying with our now 6 year old, a 2 year old and 7 month old. I am dreading it!! I am planning to pack loads of snacks, and changes of clothes for all of us, am sure someones drink will get spilt or someone will puke or wee on me! At least you don't have a toilet training toddler to factor in too, although he is doing well now so hopefully will have it cracked by Nov!

Good luck hope you have an easy journey!
The idea of buying our lad his own seat as it does sound like that has made a difference to journeys, however:
- we are lucky enough to be flying premium economy thanks to having airmiles gifted to us. A PE seat even for an infant sounds expensive!
- we won't have a car seat to be able to take on the plane (what are using currently is not legal in Oz and borrowed from a friend anyway!)

We are a little concerned about the size of the bassinet but we're not really sure what other options we have other than to just get on the plane and see what happens. Alternatively I may see if I can swing an upgrade to first class, and have use of a couple of their flat beds.. or better still blag my way up into the crew rest area?!!
Old Jul 4th 2012, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

ANH100 is an unknown quantity at this point

We just flew from Melbourne to Uk with our 4 month old on Qatar. He was brilliant. I fed him on take off and landing and had no problems (BF so cant help with bottles etc..) Husband and I took each leg in turns. Only problem on my leg we had lots of turbulence and he wasn't allowed in bassinet during that time so had to hold him in seat belt!!! I agree about night flights as best as possible. Or try to take the longer leg at night.

We used the baby bjorn around the airport which was brilliant...

Its amazing how accommodating other passengers and airline staff are. You will be fine. Enjoy as much as you can.