Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Emigrate through an ageny or D.I.Y

Emigrate through an ageny or D.I.Y

Old Jan 21st 2007, 5:37 pm
Forum Regular

Ronnie and Deb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Emigrate through an ageny or D.I.Y

We Are going to emigrate on a skills visa to Brisbane and have applied to the Four Corners Ageny for some advice, but we,ve heard it is expensive so we don,t know wether to try and do it ourselves. Can anyone help!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Emigrate through an ageny or D.I.Y

Originally Posted by Ronnie and Deb
We Are going to emigrate on a skills visa to Brisbane and have applied to the Four Corners Ageny for some advice, but we,ve heard it is expensive so we don,t know wether to try and do it ourselves. Can anyone help!
Depends on your personal circumstances! Some cases visa is straight forward other times it needs a bit of professional help. Also can depend on the person, some will crack on with things, others will take their time getting round to what needs doing, so prefer to pay someone to be motivated for them!
Personally will set off doing it my own way and if I need help along the line will involve professional help!
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:21 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice, i think our application should be straight forward.
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Australia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond reputeAustralia_bound? has a reputation beyond repute

Well then go for it (can always ask on here if you get stuck tiz free lol)
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:54 pm
so far so good

want2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to beholdwant2bthere is a splendid one to behold

hi, ours was pretty straight forward so we have'nt used an agent. so far so good, havent got co yet though
good luck which ever route you choose, lots of friendly people on here if you need help
tracey & steve
Old Jan 21st 2007, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks Tracey and Steve
Yes we agree there are lots of friendly people on the site we have just joined this afternoon and wish we had found it sooner. Thanks for your advice Ronnie and Deb
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

we asked exactly the same question as an opening thread 2years ago!!! we also contacted 4corners as our first agent but as you said found them expensive. There is another thread recently which asked about agent recommendations.

We contacted approx 50 agents(via email/telephone) not all responded - which were crossed straight off the list. Then we were able to question them more as we made our decision of 'who' we were using. Then it came to the crunch of do we do it ourselves or pay an agent. My best friend Lacey mithered me not to use an agent as she said it was easy enough to do. But we felt we needed to make sure the forms were accurate first time. After signing up with ian harrop (www.ianharrop.co.uk) we sent info off as requested and were so greatful that we had used an agent as 3times they sent me the paperwork back as I had missed something off or not signed. Which if I had done it myself would have been a potential rejection.

All we did was spent 20mins on the phone answering questions - a day later a fully filled application turned up for us to add little bits too and sign in highlighted places.

We have had peace of mind knowing that our app was correctly filled in with all the info required for a potentially positive outcome. That is the stage we are at now. Just waiting for grant.

We feel its been money very well spent - but as others say - there are plenty of people who diy... at the end of the day its up to you. x
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice we just might get the initial advice and then try and do it ourselves. Take care Ronnie and Deb
Old Jan 21st 2007, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

CathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond reputeCathnPaul has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for your advice we just might get the initial advice and then try and do it ourselves. Take care Ronnie and Deb
good on ya. x good luck - hope to see you in the immigration forum soon
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 6:49 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

DIY. Its easy. Why pay an agent? Waste of money . IMHO. Unless you are a special case. Then dont bother. Save the cash.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 7:15 am
Forum Regular

boldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really niceboldon mackem is just really nice

We completed ours on our own, as the form seemed to be be pretty straight forward.

However even after checking the form and the other contents of the envelope 3 times I still manged to send the application off without our certificates from the Australian professional bodies of our professions (Accountant & Teacher)

I was furious with myself as it essentialy wasted 2 months of our application time, and I had to resend the form and the 2 certificates just before Xmas.

So if your a climp like me, then get an agent. However if you are even semi inteligent do it yourself.
Old Jan 22nd 2007, 10:18 am
Forum Regular

Thanks for your advice we are 'climps' to so it might be better to go through an agent. Ronnie and Deb