emails

Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emails

can anyone help please.visas arrived at last!
we are moving over to oz in March. i'm starting to put my cv out to people in oz.
problem is that when we leave i've been told we can't transfer our email (aol) account to oz.
The email address i give on my cv from here will not be valid
is there a way around this?
thanks for any help you can give.
cheers
Phil
Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:53 am
Hot and sweaty member!!

yvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond reputeyvsie has a reputation beyond repute

open a hotmail account
www.hotmail.com
you can access this from anywhere!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 9:54 am
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello Phil,

If you set up a hotmail account you can give that e-mail address and access it from anywhere.

Good luck!

a bit slow, sorry!
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:05 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Phil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default emails

thanks for the info
cheers
Phil
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:35 am
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all
Default Re: emails

Originally posted by Shaz&Phil
thanks for the info
cheers
Phil
True hotmail is great for access anywhere, i wont disagree here. However, the only thing with using hotmail is the bulk spam you'll receive. This you can filtered out, but obviously you'll be filtering out the replies from prospective employers. (it may be different now, as i know they've updated it?) If you're prepared and eagle-eyed you can sit and wade through the spam looking for the important stuff but when i used to use hotmail i'd be getting 10-20 emails an hour! all spam spam spam spam...

the best route would be to register a domain name of your own, someone like http://www.uk2.net are cheap and cheerful. They offer a email forwarding service. If you registered a domain, then set up your email address you will then be able to forward this email on to your new email address with your new ISP is OZ/NZ. You'd then give out the email of your new domain not your isp. The good thing about all this is it's web based as well, so you can access it from anywhere.

The advantage of this approach is if you change isp in a oz/nz, you can then simply change the forward to new isp email address. You don't need to contact everyone with your new email address as nobody will notice the difference.

.... just a thought.

Leigh
Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

NickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond reputeNickyC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by yvsie
open a hotmail account
www.hotmail.com
you can access this from anywhere!
I reckon that Yahoo www.yahoo.com is better than Hotmail. They have a Spamguard feature that works pretty well and I've used them for years. My old Hotmail account received so much spam that I just abandoned it. Also think that Hotmail cancels accounts that haven't been accessed for a month, so you must remember to check it regularly.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 1:27 pm

tiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond reputetiredwithtwins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by scutterUK
but when i used to use hotmail i'd be getting 10-20 emails an hour! all spam spam spam spam...
Leigh

I use hotmail with very few problems with spam!
perhaps you should watch what sites you go on Scutter!!!! (only joking!!!)

sue
Old Dec 31st 2003, 3:43 pm
Account Closed

ANA123 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 hotmail accounts, one I use when I'm not 100% about giving out my e-mail address and thats full of spam, the other I only use for friends and family and I have no problems with that one at all. True you have to log in every 28 days though, unless you pay £20 to upgrade your account.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 4:26 pm
life begins again...

scutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to allscutterUK is a name known to all

Originally posted by tiredwithtwins
I use hotmail with very few problems with spam!
perhaps you should watch what sites you go on Scutter!!!! (only joking!!!)

sue
ahh but m'lady, i presume you've got your spam filters turned on? If you have, turn them off and you'll soon find you'll be all spammed up before you know it!

what i do now, is if a site asks for my email address and it's important that i give it to them, i put my email address in as [theirwebsite]@[mydomain.co.uk]. Then if i start to receive spam, i can see on the email address that it was sent to, who exactly pasted on my email address..... nobody has done it yet though.

mystery meat, don't ya love it!

sue and any one else who reads this,.... HAVE A GREAT 2004!!! and good luck!

leigh
Old Dec 31st 2003, 10:03 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Yahoo and Hotmail are good for backpackers keeping up with their friends but they are not great long term.

Scutters suggestion is by far the best and gives you the power to changes ISP at will.

I use www.freeparking.co.uk .

[email protected] forwards to my swiftdsl account. I can also redirect 10 e0mail addresses to alternative accounts or nowhere so I have a [email protected] which I give to companies I do not trust. I sometimes redirect the junk to a company that is annoying me at the time.

Hotmail is targetted by spammers. They generate e-mails addresses knowing that there is a high chance hotmail will have that account.

Hotmail will also falsely claim legitimate e-mail is junk and divert it. A couple of people on the immigration have found important e-mail from the Adelaide Skilled Processing Centre in their junk folder.
Old Dec 31st 2003, 11:19 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

You can also sign up with the BritishExpats webmail - I think it was about £10 but can't really remember - just sign up for premium membership of expats .You get a larger amount of space than hotmail, also I've had the account since September and had no spam at all.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:28 am
ABCDiamond

You will also notice a few companies are beginning to class ALL incoming mail from hotmail accounts as spam, and therefore block anything from a hotmail address.

You see notices to this effect on some web sites.

I do the same as scutteruk, but it only works if you have your own domain with multiple email facilities.

Happy New Year to all.

Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:34 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by ABCDiamond
You will also notice a few companies are beginning to class ALL incoming mail from hotmail accounts as spam, and therefore block anything from a hotmail address.

You see notices to this effect on some web sites.

I do the same as scutteruk, but it only works if you have your own domain with multiple email facilities.

Happy New Year to all.
You only need one e-mail account for it to be forwarded to.
Old Jan 1st 2004, 1:49 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
You only need one e-mail account for it to be forwarded to.
Bondi
Sorry, I didnt explain it well.
I meant about using different email addresses for different purposes:
eg: PI@"mydomian".com for a Property Investing forum,
telstra@"mydomian".com for my dealings with Telstra etc etc.
But i do end up with about 40+ email accounts

Old Jan 1st 2004, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Loopy will become famous soon enoughLoopy will become famous soon enough

I'd go for yahoo, really good, don't think I've ever had any spam wheras hotmail did even with spam filters on!
I still use yahoo one now as all friends & family had it in their address books & it was easier. Think you can set up an Aussie yahoo account from the UK too and access it worldwide www.yahoo.com.au .

Loopy

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.