British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Ellenbrook? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/ellenbrook-545559/)

tawkins1 Jun 27th 2008 12:57 pm

Ellenbrook?

Hi All.
We are hoping to make our move to Perth in November & have been looking at Ellenbrook. We will be staying in Kinross until 6/12 whilst we find a rental. Can anyone give me any info on Ellenbrook please? We have 3 children who will be 12,6 & 5 when we arrive so are looking for good primary & High schools.

Also does anyone have any idea how long it would take to travel to Basendean (this is were my OH will be working!)
Any info would be great. Thanks :wub:

keel Jun 27th 2008 1:10 pm

Re: Ellenbrook?

Hi

Not definate but I think Ellenbrooke is about 25 mins from Bassendean.

Keel

tawkins1 Jun 27th 2008 1:31 pm

Originally Posted by keel (Post 6509578)
Hi

Not definate but I think Ellenbrooke is about 25 mins from Bassendean.

Keel

Fantastic! Thanks :wub:

nickyjohnt Jun 27th 2008 1:53 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6509541)
Hi All.
We are hoping to make our move to Perth in November & have been looking at Ellenbrook. We will be staying in Kinross until 6/12 whilst we find a rental. Can anyone give me any info on Ellenbrook please? We have 3 children who will be 12,6 & 5 when we arrive so are looking for good primary & High schools.

Also does anyone have any idea how long it would take to travel to Basendean (this is were my OH will be working!)

I was working on a few houses there and liked the place, its very well set out the whole area, but didn't tick the boxe's for us. We personally prefer to be nearer the coast, i know its only about 25 mins from the coast but seemed that bit too far, Saying that i haven't been to the beach for about 2 months so had better get there this weekend to back myself up about living close to the beach:)

John

Dorothy Jun 27th 2008 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by nickyjohnt (Post 6509689)
I was working on a few houses there and liked the place, its very well set out the whole area, but didn't tick the boxe's for us. We personally prefer to be nearer the coast, i know its only about 25 mins from the coast but seemed that bit too far, Saying that i haven't been to the beach for about 2 months so had better get there this weekend to back myself up about living close to the beach:)

John

It's supposed to rain this weekend again so if you go to the beach you'll probably get wet.

Loch Lomond Jun 27th 2008 5:06 pm

Ellenbrook area is a great place to live if you don't want to live by the ocean. There are several schools both primary and secondary (state and private) available. The shopping facilities are developing in line with the housing developments. Currently there are two shopping areas, one that has been established for several years (IGA, Post office, bakers, newsagents etc) and one reasonably new (Woolworths supermarket, surf shop, bakers, newsagents, bank etc). I did hear about plans to have a Myers Department store, Cinema and a tavern. You will be on the doorstep of the swan valley. The only downside is that the public transport system is buses. Taxis are hit and miss, and the rail system is predicted to connect to Ellenbrook in around 10 years time.

nightnurse2 Jun 28th 2008 1:48 am

Originally Posted by Loch Lomond (Post 6510259)
Ellenbrook area is a great place to live if you don't want to live by the ocean. There are several schools both primary and secondary (state and private) available. The shopping facilities are developing in line with the housing developments. Currently there are two shopping areas, one that has been established for several years (IGA, Post office, bakers, newsagents etc) and one reasonably new (Woolworths supermarket, surf shop, bakers, newsagents, bank etc). I did hear about plans to have a Myers Department store, Cinema and a tavern. You will be on the doorstep of the swan valley. The only downside is that the public transport system is buses. Taxis are hit and miss, and the rail system is predicted to connect to Ellenbrook in around 10 years time.

Agree with what you are saying. The public transport system is not very good here, but saying that it doesn't bother me as I don't use it! There are 5 primary schools, 2 public, 2 private and a catholic. There are 2 private senior schools and a public one which opened last year. There will be a catholic one opening Feb 2010.
The shops have everything you need on a day to day basis and for larger items there's Joondalup, Midland or Morely 20 minutes away.
I reckon Bassendeen is about 25 minutes away. I work in Altone and it takes me under 15 minutes to get there are 8 am.
We're 25 minutes from the coast, but to be honest the drive doesn't bother us. We have a boat and jetskis and so would have to drive whether we lived right on the front anyway!
For us Ellenbrook is great. My OH flies in and out of Perth sometimes 2-3 times a week so being close to the airport is a bonus.
Have a look round when you get here and see it for yourself. It is in a beautiful area with the view of the hills and the Swan Valley around the corner :)
Tracey

aston man Jun 28th 2008 10:27 am

there some bleedin rough people live there...:ohmy::ohmy::rofl::rofl:

nightnurse2 Jun 28th 2008 10:58 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 6512586)

Well, it could be worse, you could live here ;)

whinging_pom Jul 1st 2008 4:51 am

Originally Posted by aston man (Post 6512586)

I moved to Ellenbrook and I've become a bit hacked off with comments like this. After we announced we'd bought there we got a few similar comments from acquaintances. The reality is this:

1. The suburb, and the surrounding suburbs are lovely. The quality of the landscaping and the amenities are great.
2. We've seen no trouble at all in 18 months.
3. The 2006 census quotes the following stats:
- Median household/family income $1250-ish - 20% above Australian average
- Proportion of managers/professionals 25% -slightly below average
- Proportion of skilled tradesmen - slightly avobe average
- Proportion of unemployed/unskilled - significantly below national average.
This is nothing like the mix in areas such as Balga and Armadale (median earnings about half of Ellenbrook's, demographics dominated by unskilled or lowskilled workers).
5. The suburb has a wide range of housing from about$350k to about $750k. In UK terms it is a "new town" like Milton Keynes and has, as you'd expect, better and worse areas and houses. Yes, there are a few "bogans" but there are as many professional people. This is called a good social mix.
6. Near to the Swan Valley with tons of wineries and restaurants. Lots of nice countryside, good walking/cycling etc.
7. You can get some great sized blocks/houses at a reasonable price by local standards. I.e. room for pool, entertaining and still room for the kids to kick a ball about

It does have its downsides. These are:
a) Rotten public transport outside of rush hour.
b) Lack of local amenities within the area itself (Ellenbrook/Aveley) . E.g. they haven't built a pub yet but two are planned. This is slowly improving.

Both of these mean you tend to drive more than should be the case and the young and single could find it a bit quiet.

c) The housing market locally took a punding this year and dropped about 15% from peak. But it is still in line/slightly above Perth average gains. So it isn't a good time to sell but a great time to buy.

northernbird Jul 1st 2008 5:13 am

Originally Posted by whinging_pom (Post 6521258)
I moved to Ellenbrook and I've become a bit hacked off with comments like this. After we announced we'd bought there we got a few similar comments from acquaintances. The reality is this:

1. The suburb, and the surrounding suburbs are lovely. The quality of the landscaping and the amenities are great.
2. We've seen no trouble at all in 18 months.
3. The 2006 census quotes the following stats:
- Median household/family income $1250-ish - 20% above Australian average
- Proportion of managers/professionals 25% -slightly below average
- Proportion of skilled tradesmen - slightly avobe average
- Proportion of unemployed/unskilled - significantly below national average.
This is nothing like the mix in areas such as Balga and Armadale (median earnings about half of Ellenbrook's, demographics dominated by unskilled or lowskilled workers).
5. The suburb has a wide range of housing from about$350k to about $750k. In UK terms it is a "new town" like Milton Keynes and has, as you'd expect, better and worse areas and houses. Yes, there are a few "bogans" but there are as many professional people. This is called a good social mix.
6. Near to the Swan Valley with tons of wineries and restaurants. Lots of nice countryside, good walking/cycling etc.
7. You can get some great sized blocks/houses at a reasonable price by local standards. I.e. room for pool, entertaining and still room for the kids to kick a ball about

It does have its downsides. These are:
a) Rotten public transport outside of rush hour.
b) Lack of local amenities within the area itself (Ellenbrook/Aveley) . E.g. they haven't built a pub yet but two are planned. This is slowly improving.

Both of these mean you tend to drive more than should be the case and the young and single could find it a bit quiet.

c) The housing market locally took a punding this year and dropped about 15% from peak. But it is still in line/slightly above Perth average gains. So it isn't a good time to sell but a great time to buy.

Aston Man was only joshing, he and Nightnurse are good pals and he was winding her up :D

Amazulu Jul 1st 2008 6:09 am

A rail link is on the cards for Ellenbrook as well.

Gill123 Jul 1st 2008 7:48 am

Hello

We are also moving to Perth end Oct/early November and plan to settle in Ellenbrook.

We managed to get our Visa based on my husbands skills in the motor trade but we have no idea where he'll be working yet. We figure that Ellenbrook isn't that far from anywhere so it's a good base. (I keep reading how it's great for families too which is what we are looking for) Basendean is about 30 minutes from Ellenbrook. (I looked this up on Google maps!!)

Have you been to Australia already? We haven't. We are just going to go for it!! We don't know anyone there either so it's all new.

We have two girls - Lucy is 8 in December and Rachel is 1 in October.

I have been in touch with someone in Ellenbrook who has told me which schools are good and bad. I have the list at home (am currently at work) so I'll let you know on this.

It would be great to keep in touch with you and meet up when we arrive!!

Kind regards

Gill :D

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 6509541)
Hi All.

hoofie2002 Jul 1st 2008 8:04 am

Originally Posted by Gill123 (Post 6521690)
Hello

We are also moving to Perth end Oct/early November and plan to settle in Ellenbrook.

We managed to get our Visa based on my husbands skills in the motor trade but we have no idea where he'll be working yet. We figure that Ellenbrook isn't that far from anywhere so it's a good base. (I keep reading how it's great for families too which is what we are looking for) Basendean is about 30 minutes from Ellenbrook. (I looked this up on Google maps!!)

Have you been to Australia already? We haven't. We are just going to go for it!! We don't know anyone there either so it's all new.

We have two girls - Lucy is 8 in December and Rachel is 1 in October.

I have been in touch with someone in Ellenbrook who has told me which schools are good and bad. I have the list at home (am currently at work) so I'll let you know on this.

It would be great to keep in touch with you and meet up when we arrive!!

Kind regards

Gill :D

Ellenbrook is not that much east of Waneroo/Wangara where a lot of motor dealership/workshops are so it may be an ideal location.

Gill123 Jul 1st 2008 8:10 am

Thanks for that. I'll start investigating those areas!

I'm hoping to set up a few interviews for Mark before we arrive so I'll look at Waneroo/Wangara.

Originally Posted by hoofie2002 (Post 6521737)
Ellenbrook is not that much east of Waneroo/Wangara where a lot of motor dealership/workshops are so it may be an ideal location.