Ellenbrook?

Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:22 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ellenbrook?

Originally Posted by Amazulu
A rail link is on the cards for Ellenbrook as well.
When do you think that will be ready though? It only just got announced as in plans for the next 20 years.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:30 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by worzel
When do you think that will be ready though? It only just got announced as in plans for the next 20 years.
Probably about the time I'm due for a bus pass
Old Jul 1st 2008, 8:43 am
A former regular of BE

worzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond reputeworzel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Probably about the time I'm due for a bus pass
That soon?
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:40 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Gill123
Hello

We are also moving to Perth end Oct/early November and plan to settle in Ellenbrook.

We managed to get our Visa based on my husbands skills in the motor trade but we have no idea where he'll be working yet. We figure that Ellenbrook isn't that far from anywhere so it's a good base. (I keep reading how it's great for families too which is what we are looking for) Basendean is about 30 minutes from Ellenbrook. (I looked this up on Google maps!!)

Have you been to Australia already? We haven't. We are just going to go for it!! We don't know anyone there either so it's all new.

We have two girls - Lucy is 8 in December and Rachel is 1 in October.

I have been in touch with someone in Ellenbrook who has told me which schools are good and bad. I have the list at home (am currently at work) so I'll let you know on this.

It would be great to keep in touch with you and meet up when we arrive!!

Kind regards

Gill
Hi Gill.
Yes, we visited Perth last October for a 3 week holiday. We visited lots of family & friends in Warnbro, Roleystone, Southern River & Ocean Reef.
We first fell in love with Southern River but over the months have been reading that NOR suburbs are nicer.
We like the sound of Ellenbrook although we didn't visit this place & have read nothing but good things about it. Especially the 'great for families' part.
Me & my OH both drive so public transport wont be a problem for us.
Can you PM me with details of the good & bad schools in Ellenbrook please?
I have contacted a school in Ellenbrook but unfortunatley all schools there are tied into catchment areas so can't enrol till we have a permanent address.
We haven't sold our house here in the UK yet but have 2 couples interested so fingers crossed our flights on the 14/11 will only be one way. It would be gr8 to keep in touch & meet when we arrive
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:09 am
Banned

aston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond reputeaston man has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whinging_pom
I moved to Ellenbrook and I've become a bit hacked off with comments like this. After we announced we'd bought there we got a few similar comments from acquaintances. The reality is this:

1. The suburb, and the surrounding suburbs are lovely. The quality of the landscaping and the amenities are great.
2. We've seen no trouble at all in 18 months.
3. The 2006 census quotes the following stats:
- Median household/family income $1250-ish - 20% above Australian average
- Proportion of managers/professionals 25% -slightly below average
- Proportion of skilled tradesmen - slightly avobe average
- Proportion of unemployed/unskilled - significantly below national average.
This is nothing like the mix in areas such as Balga and Armadale (median earnings about half of Ellenbrook's, demographics dominated by unskilled or lowskilled workers).
5. The suburb has a wide range of housing from about$350k to about $750k. In UK terms it is a "new town" like Milton Keynes and has, as you'd expect, better and worse areas and houses. Yes, there are a few "bogans" but there are as many professional people. This is called a good social mix.
6. Near to the Swan Valley with tons of wineries and restaurants. Lots of nice countryside, good walking/cycling etc.
7. You can get some great sized blocks/houses at a reasonable price by local standards. I.e. room for pool, entertaining and still room for the kids to kick a ball about

It does have its downsides. These are:
a) Rotten public transport outside of rush hour.
b) Lack of local amenities within the area itself (Ellenbrook/Aveley) . E.g. they haven't built a pub yet but two are planned. This is slowly improving.

Both of these mean you tend to drive more than should be the case and the young and single could find it a bit quiet.

c) The housing market locally took a punding this year and dropped about 15% from peak. But it is still in line/slightly above Perth average gains. So it isn't a good time to sell but a great time to buy.
take a tip from the ozzies darlin,cruzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... ...
nightnurse is my pal.........

i love it there it was my first choice....yes thats right..

was it ast?

yes thats right..

no...

yes thats right....ive been a bloody idiot...

Last edited by aston man; Jul 1st 2008 at 11:19 am.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:17 pm
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aston man
take a tip from the ozzies darlin,cruzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...... ...
nightnurse is my pal.........

i love it there it was my first choice....yes thats right..

was it ast?

yes thats right..

no...

yes thats right....ive been a bloody idiot...
Thank God Trish dragged you up them hills, don't think I could cope with you as a neighbour But you can come for a visit
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:18 pm
happy to be here!

That soon?
I'm not even going to answer that

Sh*t, I just did
Old Jul 1st 2008, 1:20 pm
happy to be here!

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Hi Gill.
Yes, we visited Perth last October for a 3 week holiday. We visited lots of family & friends in Warnbro, Roleystone, Southern River & Ocean Reef.
We first fell in love with Southern River but over the months have been reading that NOR suburbs are nicer.
We like the sound of Ellenbrook although we didn't visit this place & have read nothing but good things about it. Especially the 'great for families' part.
I have contacted a school in Ellenbrook but unfortunatley all schools there are tied into catchment areas so can't enrol till we have a permanent address.
We haven't sold our house here in the UK yet but have 2 couples interested so fingers crossed our flights on the 14/11 will only be one way. It would be gr8 to keep in touch & meet when we arrive
Give me a shout when you arrive and I'll show you the sights!
A few of us here meet for coffee now and again and arrange days out to Whiteman Park in the school hols, all are welcome
Old Jul 1st 2008, 4:40 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nightnurse2
Give me a shout when you arrive and I'll show you the sights!
A few of us here meet for coffee now and again and arrange days out to Whiteman Park in the school hols, all are welcome
That would be fab! Thank you
Old Jul 1st 2008, 5:02 pm
Forum Regular

Gill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud ofGill123 has much to be proud of

Hi

As promised, the list of schools I was given are:

Ellenbrook Primary - state school
Arbor Grove Primary - state
Ellen Stirling Primary - state
St Helena's Cathoical - private
Swan Valley Anglican - private
Ellenbrook Christian College - private (said to be very good)
Upper Swan Primary - state (said to be very good school) 10 mins drive from Ellenbrook
Midland Christian College/school - private (20 mins drive) there is a high school in the same grounds here as a primary school. (Am told is very good)

I haven't any info on whether the top 5 listed schools above are good or not. Maybe someone else will help us on this!!??

State school fees are a voluntary $40 per year

Private is about $200-300 per month per child - I could be corrected on this though. I guess all schools are different.

Hope this helps you!

We also both drive so public transport is no issue.

Good luck with the house sale. I'm hoping we exchange contracts on ours in the next week or so. If not we will have to visit Perth to validate our visas in August. Really don't want to do this though - we just want a one way ticket like you.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

You can email me on [email protected]

Gill x

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Hi Gill.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:03 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

As we know the government moves pretty slow in WA, so I reckon that if they started in 2010, it would be 2013 to 2015 before it was finished.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 11:59 pm
A former regular of BE

Originally Posted by Amazulu
As we know the government moves pretty slow in WA, so I reckon that if they started in 2010, it would be 2013 to 2015 before it was finished.
I reckon even that is optimistic. Of the list of things planned I would place the northern line extension to Butler / Jindalee (at least) as first priority. Second would be the airport link.

I work in a division responsible for building railways amongst other things and it takes us about 4 years from starting studies to completion. So I would guesstimate 2018-2020.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 12:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold

Hi

Upper Swan Primary - state (said to be very good school) 10 mins drive from Ellenbrook
Midland Christian College/school - private (20 mins drive) there is a high school in the same grounds here as a primary school. (Am told is very good)

I haven't any info on whether the top 5 listed schools above are good or not. Maybe someone else will help us on this!!??
My kids go to Swan Valley Anglican Community School. The fees are just under $4500 PA. (1 in kindergarten and 1 in year 1). The standard of teaching is great, the teachers my kids have had so far have been very enthusiastic. The facilities are still improving (the school opened in 2006) but the essentials are there.
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:24 am
happy to be here!

Hi

State school fees are a voluntary $40 per year

Private is about $200-300 per month per child - I could be corrected on this though. I guess all schools are different.

Hope this helps you!

We also both drive so public transport is no issue.

Good luck with the house sale. I'm hoping we exchange contracts on ours in the next week or so. If not we will have to visit Perth to validate our visas in August. Really don't want to do this though - we just want a one way ticket like you.

Keep in touch and let me know how you are getting on.

You can email me on [email protected]

Gill x
My children went to Ellenbrook Primary (in Woodlake) when we first arrived here. The school is OK, not bad but not excellent either.
Arbor Grove Primary (in Charlotte's Vineyard) is quite new and more than likely OK.
Ellen Stirling Primary (in Coolamon?) it could be a new catholic senior, not sure, hasn't opened yet, it's due to open Feb 2009 (not too sure about that one!)
St. Helena's Primary (woodlake) I've been told is good.
Swan Valley Anglican (in Averley) as Loch Lomond says, is a good school, relatively new.
Ellenbrook Christian College (in the Bridges) goes from kindy to senior and is where my children go. It's a very good school with high expectations and morals. It costs us $1168 per term for 2 children (you get reduced rate for a second child and an even greater reduction for a third!).
Don't know anything about Upper Swan Primary.
Midland Christian College is one of a group in the Swan area, Ellenbrook Christian College being another. I'm sure it is on par with ECC.
There's also Ellenbrook Secondary which opened Feb 07. I have friends with children there and they say they are very happy with it.
We would love to send our eldest to Guildford Grammar, it is expensive, so will have to give it some thought!
Hope this helps
Old Jul 2nd 2008, 8:28 am
happy to be here!

Forgot to mention 2 web sites that may help

www.goellenbrook.com

www.beyondtheplan.com.au

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.