Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eligible NZ Citizen???

Eligible NZ Citizen???

Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:43 pm
tricky nicky

tricky is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Eligible NZ Citizen???

I have been filling out our partner visa application and it asked if i was an eligible New Zealand citizen. I am an Australian citizen does this entitle you to be eligible for New Zealand citizenship.
Thanks
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

podgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant futurepodgypossum has a brilliant future
Default Re: Eligible NZ Citizen???

My husband is a New Zealander and had the right to come live and work in Australia without needing perm residency or citizenship, but i think you can apply for perm residency and citizenship if you want to. My husband had to apply for Australian perm residency just so he could sponsor me to get it as i am English. I think the same applies the other way round if you go to NZ but not 100% certain.
Old Mar 25th 2005, 10:59 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Eligible NZ Citizen???

Originally Posted by tricky
I have been filling out our partner visa application and it asked if i was an eligible New Zealand citizen. I am an Australian citizen does this entitle you to be eligible for New Zealand citizenship.
No.

The phrase 'eligible NZ citizen' would be important to you if you were an NZ citizen looking to sponsor for immigration to *Australia*. Form 1162 has details of which NZ citizens are 'eligible':
http://www.immi.gov.au/allforms/pdf/1162.pdf

As you are an Australian citizen, whether you are an NZ citizen or not is irrelevant to DIMIA.

Australian citizens can't normally become NZ citizens unless they live in NZ for the required time and apply for citizenship. Five years will be required in the very near future.

Jeremy