Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Eligibilty for Child Tax Benefit and Stimulus Payments

Eligibilty for Child Tax Benefit and Stimulus Payments

Old Mar 5th 2009, 5:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute
Default Eligibilty for Child Tax Benefit and Stimulus Payments

Hi

I'm sure someone on here has an answer to this as you're all such bright sparks

We currently get FTB Part A and B but not very much, as we added the interest from our savings into the overall income when we first applied. We had about 5 months of interest until we bought our house so there's nothing much left now so overall our annual estimate may be a little over but we've left the amounts as they were, in case we end up being over paid.

So we qualify for the Single Income Payment and the Back to School Payments as it stands. But I have some interviews in the next couple of weeks and therefore may start earning again soon. This will probably mean we won't get FTB B anymore, but will they ask for the bonus payment back even if on the 3rd Feb we were eligible for it?

What I'm trying to ask, is do they take in account individual changes throughout the year, ie not working in July but started working in April or is is just taken as a whole average over the year? If it is the latter, we had need to make sure we don't touch the $900!

Not sure if that makes any sense?

Sam
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:07 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Eligibilty for Child Tax Benefit and Stimulus Payments

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

We currently get FTB Part A and B but not very much, as we added the interest from our savings into the overall income when we first applied. We had about 5 months of interest until we bought our house so there's nothing much left now so overall our annual estimate may be a little over but we've left the amounts as they were, in case we end up being over paid.

So we qualify for the Single Income Payment and the Back to School Payments as it stands. But I have some interviews in the next couple of weeks and therefore may start earning again soon. This will probably mean we won't get FTB B anymore, but will they ask for the bonus payment back even if on the 3rd Feb we were eligible for it?

What I'm trying to ask, is do they take in account individual changes throughout the year, ie not working in July but started working in April or is is just taken as a whole average over the year? If it is the latter, we had need to make sure we don't touch the $900!

Sam
Hi

Good luck with responses to this one

I think you really do need to check out the relevant releases from the Treasury and ATO departments - I do not have their website links to hand.

Jim
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:13 am
An Australian Citizen !!

Jimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to beholdJimclevs is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Sammy T
Hi

Sam
Hi

Looking again at your original post - it would appear you didn't arrive in Australia un til 3 days before the end of the 2007/8 Aus tax year and would, presumably, have paid no tax for that year. No tax paid = no tax bonus but you may have a case under the FTB rulings.

Please - check it out with the official sites.

Jim
Old Mar 5th 2009, 6:37 am
ABCDiamond

If you were eligible as at Feb 3rd 2009, then it is yours.

It cannot be reclaimed, except for fraudulent claims.

Note:
The Centrelink payments are currently scheduled to be made during 11th to 20th March for people who receive FTB fortnightly, or after they have lodged the FTB and Tax Return forms after June 30 2009, if they receive their FTB payment annually.

http://www.britzinoz.com/950dollars.htm

Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Sammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond reputeSammy T has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jimclevs
Hi

Looking again at your original post - it would appear you didn't arrive in Australia un til 3 days before the end of the 2007/8 Aus tax year and would, presumably, have paid no tax for that year. No tax paid = no tax bonus but you may have a case under the FTB rulings.

Please - check it out with the official sites.

Jim
We cannot claim for the Tax Bonus Payment but as it stands now we are eligible for the Single Income and Back to School bonus but thanks anyway

Sam
Old Mar 5th 2009, 8:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
If you were eligible as at Feb 3rd 2009, then it is yours.

It cannot be reclaimed, except for fraudulent claims.

Note:
The Centrelink payments are currently scheduled to be made during 11th to 20th March for people who receive FTB fortnightly, or after they have lodged the FTB and Tax Return forms after June 30 2009, if they receive their FTB payment annually.

http://www.britzinoz.com/950dollars.htm
Thanks ABCD, as and when I start working I'll update Centrelink/Family Assist Office and I'll check that we do still qualify, the guidlelines state that you had to be eligible for Part B on the 3rd Feb, so hopefully we will be ok.

Ta

Sam