Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricity & Gas Supply Gold Coast New Home

Electricity & Gas Supply Gold Coast New Home

Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

karmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant futurekarmagirls has a brilliant future
Default Electricity & Gas Supply Gold Coast New Home

Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone who had recently moved into a new home in the Gold Coast area could remember how they went about getting their gas and electricity supply switched on. Our house is meant to be finished next Friday and we want to get in there as soon as possible. Who do I contact to get the supplies turned on and is the water supply already on also?
Thanks in advance
Tracy
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:31 am
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricity & Gas Supply Gold Coast New Home

Originally Posted by karmagirls View Post
Hey there,
I was wondering if anyone who had recently moved into a new home in the Gold Coast area could remember how they went about getting their gas and electricity supply switched on. Our house is meant to be finished next Friday and we want to get in there as soon as possible. Who do I contact to get the supplies turned on and is the water supply already on also?
Thanks in advance
Tracy
Hi Tracey.

Contact Energex. They supply both Gas and Electricity. However, I believe they have now changed their name to Sun Retail Pty Ltd. The number is 131253, although we received an electricity account today from Sun Retail and their number is 1300 308 624, so I am not sure if they now do both gas and electricity or just electricity, so perhaps try both numbers.

With regard to water, our water supply was on months before we moved in. I am not sure whether this is typical of all house builds. perhaps someone can confirm.

Regards

Gina
Old Mar 14th 2007, 1:15 pm
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sassie View Post
Hi Tracey.

Contact Energex. They supply both Gas and Electricity. However, I believe they have now changed their name to Sun Retail Pty Ltd. The number is 131253, although we received an electricity account today from Sun Retail and their number is 1300 308 624, so I am not sure if they now do both gas and electricity or just electricity, so perhaps try both numbers.

With regard to water, our water supply was on months before we moved in. I am not sure whether this is typical of all house builds. perhaps someone can confirm.

Regards

Gina
if its a new home an electrician has to put the forms into energex to get power connected. you cannot do it yourself.
Old Mar 14th 2007, 9:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

sassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond reputesassie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by youngy73 View Post
if its a new home an electrician has to put the forms into energex to get power connected. you cannot do it yourself.
Yes you are correct. You still have to contact them though to get it put in your name at the practical completion stage, as up until handover it's in the builders name.

Last edited by sassie; Mar 14th 2007 at 10:40 pm.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:14 am
youngy73

youngy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond reputeyoungy73 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes you are correct. You still have to contact them though to get it put in your name at the practical completion stage, as up until handover it's in the builders name.
when i built my house the electric went straight into my name. builders dont want it in there name because then its there bill.
Old Mar 15th 2007, 10:25 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by youngy73 View Post
when i built my house the electric went straight into my name. builders dont want it in there name because then its there bill.
Yes, its there bill because they are the ones using the power. With our build, up until the day of handover the power was being used by all the tradies for various jobs, so the builders were responsible for the bill up until that point.
Old Mar 16th 2007, 6:09 am
youngy73

Yes, its there bill because they are the ones using the power. With our build, up until the day of handover the power was being used by all the tradies for various jobs, so the builders were responsible for the bill up until that point.
most work differently down south then.