Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricians from UK to Australia

Electricians from UK to Australia

Old May 26th 2010, 9:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Electricians from UK to Australia

Originally Posted by larchinoz
hi guys just wondering if anyone can help i am a 35 yr old spark from london been fully qualified since 1997 owning my own niceic company for the last 5 years i have been offered a job with sponcership by quite a big electrical contractors in queensland my brother in law is on the firm) but since i am bringing oh and kids over would like your advise on how to get the a class licence via artc
loads of info here
http://britishexpats.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=97
Old Jun 2nd 2010, 5:40 pm
Just Joined

Nimbus is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Steve'O,

I am desperate for some good advice and answers to some questions.

I am currently working as a sparky in UK and will be coming over to Brisbane in Sep on my wifes visa (permanent residency, visa 175).

I was wondering what certified copies of certificates I need to provide to TRA for the ARTC? I have a C&G 2330 level 3 (part 2), 17th edition and C&G 2391 inspection & testing. I do not have a JIB card stating that I am an electrician as I dont have the NVQ 3 yet (been assessed last Wed 26th May and passed, submitting diary this friday for further assessment, should take another month to get certificate). I have been in the trade for at least 8.5 years but under the JIB title of electrical labourer (only recently decided to get my butt in gear and get some certificates). Can I apply with what I have or should I definitely wait for the NVQ cert and JIB card (JIB told me they would grade me as a sparky when I get the NVQ). I am just starting to panic that I am starting to run out time. If I dont get things sorted before I get there will I be able to get work as a 'mate' just to get working? I dont know what the job market is like over there and havent a clue how to start even looking for work.

At the moment my plan of attack is:

1. Apply for ARTC as a electrical mechanic from UK as soon as I have NVQ and JIB grading (have a address in Brisbane which I can use).

2. Going to Peer shortly after arrival for wiring rules and

3. apply for SA licence (am I correct in saying that all the licences are now valid across Aus although it will be a good idea to get the QLD one asap)? Look for work around Brisbane area (Straithpine, Petrie area if possible, not sure how to go-about the best way of finding work in Aus).

Will this work is the BIG question at the moment for me? Have I missed something important?

I have been watching these threads for a while and have found them very useful, especially yours Steve'O, thank you for all the information.
Old Jul 13th 2010, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

N4BDYX is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi I am a 24 yr old spark from UK, i have worked in the commercial /leisure area for 7 years. i have C+G NVQ level 3, 16th Edition and C+G 2391 Testing + Inspection. I am currently in Australia on a working holiday visa but hoping to extend. Any information on possible sponsors anywhere in Australia would be greatly appreciated.

thanks nathan