Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Electricians from UK to Australia

Electricians from UK to Australia

Old May 11th 2010, 3:41 pm
Just Joined

dazzla30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Electricians from UK to Australia

Hello I would be thankful if you could give me some advice...

I am a 30yr old male who has been a coach driver for most of my life and I have now started to learn a new skill in electrics.

Im hoping that by the end of the year I will be Part P qualified.

I have a job waiting for me in Melbourne and the company will sponsor me to go to Australia, therefore what I need to know is whether the Part P qualification is recognised in aus, and as I have no experience in the electrician industry) will this go against me even though I have a sponsor already.

Many thanks,

Darren
Old May 11th 2010, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud ofRossi has much to be proud of
Default Re: Electricians from UK to Australia

Sorry to burst your bubble but even fully qualified electricians are having difficulties in obtaining the required licenses to work.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=666982

Even the Aus equivalent of the"disconnect / reconnect" ticket requires a mandatory 40 hours of training before a 2 part exam (theory and practical) before issuing you registration

Last edited by Rossi; May 11th 2010 at 3:59 pm.
Old May 11th 2010, 6:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

paulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nicepaulandcelia is just really nice

Your a bus driver - not even half qualified - and you have a company in Melbourne who will sponsor you........

You have chosen the wrong career path mate.....you should be in sales.
Old May 11th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of lightMrCro is a glorious beacon of light

yip sorry mate but 16th edition means nothing in Australia, you cannot be licenced there unless you complete their certificate 3 course which takes 3 years and you must be working in industry throughout the 3 years. Then after qualifying you need 1 year further working with a licensed electrician before you can be licenced.

You could get trade recognition with UK quals but you would need full c&g level 3 and not just 16th (now 17th edition) which although this allows you to be part P installer here (with inspection & testing qual too) it is not recognised as making you a qualified sparky in Oz.

Even then sparkys who are fully qualified here still have to work for an australian electrician for minimum of a year I think when they get there and do have to complete a course and exams on Australian wiring codes.

Hoops to jump through are plenty in Oz!!

There's loads of threads on here about this if you look at the occupations forums.

good luck
Old May 12th 2010, 10:52 am
Forum Regular

Andrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to allAndrews2oz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dazzla30
Hello I would be thankful if you could give me some advice...

I am a 30yr old male who has been a coach driver for most of my life and I have now started to learn a new skill in electrics.

Im hoping that by the end of the year I will be Part P qualified.

I have a job waiting for me in Melbourne and the company will sponsor me to go to Australia, therefore what I need to know is whether the Part P qualification is recognised in aus, and as I have no experience in the electrician industry) will this go against me even though I have a sponsor already.

Many thanks,

Darren
Hi Darren,

I'm sorry mate but I've got no good news for you at all; have a read through my thread headed "Our Australian adventure is over... and so soon" (or something like that) I have been an electrician for over 20 years and have run a few jobs in the uk some of which were on major industrial construction sites and yet I am having to jump through hoops to prove myself - including a telephone technical interview and I'm to attend a 2 week college course on Australian wiring regs if I were staying!!
I wish you all the luck in the world if you do still go for it... trust me you'll need it.... oh and a shed load of money too.

Mark
Old May 12th 2010, 2:01 pm
Forum Regular

agillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to allagillick is a name known to all

OP I would have to agree with the rest of the guys. Its even a bit of a stretch of your imagination to call yourself an electrician if you haven't done a full apprenticeship in my opinion. To get an electrical licence in Australia you would need to get your trade recognised by TRA first. Without having done a 4 year apprenticeship or having more than 7 years experience in the trade this would be very difficult.
Old May 26th 2010, 2:34 am
Just Joined

darrenhfc is an unknown quantity at this point

The a grade test is a nightmare. i lost alot of time and money cause of it. But if your trained in the uk and study for it you will pass it. my boss done the same got payed labour money but tried to get me to do sparks work. Not qualified he said. i have been here a year and am finally getting somewhere. just looking to get in to industrial work. As for part p thats a week long course for builders to wire houses.
How do others find the standard of work over here to back in the uk
Old May 26th 2010, 2:40 am
Just Joined

If you have been issued a tra. All you need is the cert then take it into the training body ie 370 degrees or tafe. then you can sit the refresher course and also then sit the lep, lea and disconnect re connect. then you get issued an a grade lic when passed.
Old May 26th 2010, 7:29 am
ABCDiamond

Do people need an electrical licence to work as an employee ?

They need one to be self employed, but as far as I am aware, people can get jobs as employees without a licence.

Old May 26th 2010, 7:59 am
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Do people need an electrical licence to work as an employee ?

They need one to be self employed, but as far as I am aware, people can get jobs as employees without a licence.
sorry no they carnt all sparkies need to be licenced
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...l-work-licence
Old May 26th 2010, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

The really funny bit though is that it seems Oz considers itself and its tradies a curt above the rest of the world, when in reality i wouldnt trust most to put in a light bulb
Old May 26th 2010, 11:19 am
Just Joined

Have to agree they all think they are great. I have met very few oz sparks I would let put a plug on. We pass their test but I don't think they could pass the am2 back home. My college teacher in Melbourne was British. What's that tell ya
Old May 26th 2010, 1:59 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by steve`o
sorry no they carnt all sparkies need to be licenced
http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/fair-a...l-work-licence
Yet they also need experience on the job, before they can get a licence.
How do they work on the job without a licence, to get the experience, to get a licence ?

That bit puzzles me. Plus the fact that I know people who got jobs almost immediately working for Electrical companies.

Adverts such as these may appeal to those such as the OP, or others who are waiting to get a full licence, rather than be out of work totally. And of course employers would presumably snap up the experienced people, who can work with minimal supervision or training.

Electrical trades assistant
No previous experience is necessary and onsite training will be provided.

Electrical trades assistant
We are are seeking a reliable and motivated Electrical T/A. Must have Experience in this field and hold a current NSW drivers license and OHS green card (A $90 6 hour course) .

Old May 26th 2010, 8:17 pm
Worongary

steve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond reputesteve`o has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Yet they also need experience on the job, before they can get a licence.
How do they work on the job without a licence, to get the experience, to get a licence ?

That bit puzzles me. Plus the fact that I know people who got jobs almost immediately working for Electrical companies.

Adverts such as these may appeal to those such as the OP, or others who are waiting to get a full licence, rather than be out of work totally. And of course employers would presumably snap up the experienced people, who can work with minimal supervision or training.
its more than puzzling abcdiamond its a mare,

the system works like this
you apply for a licence with iether your certificate of competency from vettesses or an artc from tra to the local licencing office

they issue a permit to train,

you then have to try and find a job where the employer will have some one supervise you ( i`m not shitting you here, regardless of your experiance / age untill you get your full licnce you work uder the supervsion of an australian licenced electrician or contractor, during this time you have to do a log book or e-evidencing ( electronic log book ) with what work you have undertaken which is co-signed by your supervisor as been done to au standards

whilst trying to get a job you have to enrol in a tafe or rto to do an au electrical standards course which involves learning to work within the guidelines of 3000:2007 ( the au electrical standards ) normally this culminates in both practical and theory exams ( as part of my course i sat 3 differnt theory exams )

you then send off your log book, tafe or rto au electical course certificates to your local licencing office where they issue the full or A licence or electrical workers licence ( depends which state your in ) which in the case of qld is valid for 5 years ( dont know about other states but i`d guess at 3 to 5 years )

now to take it one step more if you want a contractors licence
its back to the tafe or rto again for a more more in depth course covering book keeping, health and safety, law ( mostly contractual and tort ) each with its own exam, you go back to your licencing office with all your new certificates the fee and proof of public liability insurance ( this has to be valid prior to applying which in my view is crazy as it means you can be paying for insurance for about a month before the licence is issued ) then provided you tick all the boxes your issued a contactors licence which is valid for 12 months

so like i said its a mare and as each state does things differently even down to having different names for the licences just to make it even more confusing

regards steve
Old May 26th 2010, 9:15 pm
Just Joined

larchinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

hi guys just wondering if anyone can help i am a 35 yr old spark from london been fully qualified since 1997 owning my own niceic company for the last 5 years i have been offered a job with sponcership by quite a big electrical contractors in queensland my brother in law is on the firm) but since i am bringing oh and kids over would like your advise on how to get the a class licence via artc

Originally Posted by steve`o
its more than puzzling abcdiamond its a mare,

the system works like this
you apply for a licence with iether your certificate of competency from vettesses or an artc from tra to the local licencing office

they issue a permit to train,

you then have to try and find a job where the employer will have some one supervise you ( i`m not shitting you here, regardless of your experiance / age untill you get your full licnce you work uder the supervsion of an australian licenced electrician or contractor, during this time you have to do a log book or e-evidencing ( electronic log book ) with what work you have undertaken which is co-signed by your supervisor as been done to au standards

whilst trying to get a job you have to enrol in a tafe or rto to do an au electrical standards course which involves learning to work within the guidelines of 3000:2007 ( the au electrical standards ) normally this culminates in both practical and theory exams ( as part of my course i sat 3 differnt theory exams )

you then send off your log book, tafe or rto au electical course certificates to your local licencing office where they issue the full or A licence or electrical workers licence ( depends which state your in ) which in the case of qld is valid for 5 years ( dont know about other states but i`d guess at 3 to 5 years )

now to take it one step more if you want a contractors licence
its back to the tafe or rto again for a more more in depth course covering book keeping, health and safety, law ( mostly contractual and tort ) each with its own exam, you go back to your licencing office with all your new certificates the fee and proof of public liability insurance ( this has to be valid prior to applying which in my view is crazy as it means you can be paying for insurance for about a month before the licence is issued ) then provided you tick all the boxes your issued a contactors licence which is valid for 12 months

so like i said its a mare and as each state does things differently even down to having different names for the licences just to make it even more confusing

regards steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.